Dog Forum banner

Tips needed for re-training and agility

952 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Dogs4Jesus 
#1 ·
So I have two dogs a 2 year old -kali- and a 3 year old -Kiara-, and ever since my sister has became busy with school it became my job to take kiara out to the park when I jus end to take just kali. My sister clearly let kiara get away with a lot, not siting to get hooked up on the leash, pulling, constite sniffing, and at the park she does not listen when you call her ect.

I'm also planing to teach the girls agility because they don't get as much excise as they should be so I would also like some tips for that to along with some warmups, course ideas and just stuff to make it stimulating for them, because all they would do before is just sniff around for 30 minutes to an our then we'd go home.

Thanks.

#2 ·
First of all, welcome to the Dog Forum! I've recently started training my dog in agility as well, so I hope I can help! First off, do your dogs like walks? Make it so your dog never gets to go on a walk until she sits. Use treats to lure her into sitting, and then give her the reward of a walk. As for pulling on the leash, bring treats with you. Lure your dog into position at your side, and give her treats as she stays there. give her treats for coming when called over short distances before you try the park, and always give her treats for coming even if it took her forever. And now for agility! What motivates your dogs? Treats? Toys? A belly rub? Whatever it is, use that incentive to lure them through the agility course. Start small. Will they jump on command? If not, set a piece of PVC pipe on the ground. Have them walk over it and reward them with treats and praise. Slowly raise the bar as they get better at it, until they're jumping on command. Keep it all fun and engaging by giving them different types of treats or toys. Here is a link on how to create a motivating toy: How to Create a Motivating Toy

Hope this helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.