Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1 1/2 year old mixed large breed rescue dog - and she is very quick to learn commands and tricks - except ones that (at least as far as I have learned) employ "guiding" her into the movement via a treat. For example roll over took a very very VERY long time (at that we are still working on it) - because when I attempted to "guide" her from a down onto her back, and later on "over", instead of following the treat, she would predict where it would end up and flip around the other way to meet it (not that she ever received the treat by doing this) I would soon like to move on to teaching her more tricks and commands, but many that I learn of involve guiding the dog into the move or position via a treat - and I don't see this going well. Are there other methods I could use instead? Or something I can do to encourage her to follow the treats?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
With rollover (and other "guiding" tricks), the key is to start by giving her treats all along the arc instead of just at the end. So instead of one treat at the end, you'd give her one as she's a quarter way over, one right on the back, and one at the end. Training is generally a process instead of a result so you'll want to reward all the steps instead of just the end result. (well, until it clicks, then fade the lure)

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I noticed when I started doing "touch" and "positive interrupter" on kikopups videos, the dog started paying more attention to ME and what I was asking, not the treat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts