Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month I lost my pet dog Jim. I found it missing when I returned from work last month and searched for it in the neighbourhood but hadn’t got it back. Now I bought a new dog and didn’t want to loose it so I went searching for certain tips regarding it’s safety. I will share some of them with you..
1.Don’t let your pet into a yard which is visible from the street.
2.Never leave your pet unattended in a car with the windows and doors open.
3.Keep gates of your home locked when your pet is inside
4.It’s better to install an Id or microchip on your pet
5.Keep your pets with trusted people when you are not at home.
6.Never leave your dog tied up outside.
For more information regarding this you can visit this blog(How To Protect Your Pets From Theft | Canadian Security Professionals)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Last month I lost my pet dog Jim. I found it missing when I returned from work last month and searched for it in the neighbourhood but hadn’t got it back. Now I bought a new dog and didn’t want to loose it so I went searching for certain tips regarding it’s safety. I will share some of them with you..
For more information regarding this you can visit this blog(How To Protect Your Pets From Theft | Canadian Security Professionals)
NEVER leave your dog in a car by itself to begin with, but if you must, DO leave windows down, especially in warm/hot weather. More pets and children die from being left closed up in hot cars than you can imagine....

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
About leaving them in hot cars??

I assume you are being sarcastic or obfuscating or maybe patronizing ???

Your original post " NEVER leave your dog in a car by itself to begin with,..." is very definitive. I choose to lock and leave the windows up so nobody is tempted to put their hands in the vehicle as it might not end well for the individual.

The original concern of OP was how to safeguard one's dog so it is not stolen or is able to exit the vehicle in item #2.

As far as leaving a dog in a hot car, well, some people are just plain stupid I guess.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
As far as leaving a dog in a hot car, well, some people are just plain stupid I guess.
You would be surprised (or maybe not) how many people leave dogs (and kids!) in hot cars. I was grocery shopping the other day, and was there for probably 30 minutes or so, and was kept seeing this old lady. I ended up behind her at the cash, and she was chatting up a storm with the cashier. Then said "Well, I guess I should go, I've got my dog in the car". It was 33 C, 39 with humidity. :headbash:

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
You would be surprised (or maybe not) how many people leave dogs (and kids!) in hot cars. I was grocery shopping the other day, and was there for probably 30 minutes or so, and was kept seeing this old lady. I ended up behind her at the cash, and she was chatting up a storm with the cashier. Then said "Well, I guess I should go, I've got my dog in the car". It was 33 C, 39 with humidity. :headbash:
I would have been tempted to say something and most likely would have and it probably would not have been too polite.

But to address the OP's original concern and lesson learned through the sad hardship, one protects their dog(s) from the creeps out there to the best of their ability. Dogs are stolen rather frequently especially in certain areas. I'm sure I am like most others in here, I'd rather have most anything else stolen or taken from me rather than my dog.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I assume you are being sarcastic or obfuscating or maybe patronizing ???

Your original post " NEVER leave your dog in a car by itself to begin with,..." is very definitive. I choose to lock and leave the windows up so nobody is tempted to put their hands in the vehicle as it might not end well for the individual.

The original concern of OP was how to safeguard one's dog so it is not stolen or is able to exit the vehicle in item #2.

Yes, it's stupid to leave to dogs or kids in hot cars, but it happens all the time. Nothing sarcastic about it. If you watch the news, you will see it happen every year. Kids and dogs dying locked in hot cars. It's a level of stupid that can't be fixed....

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Having a collar tag done up with the dogs name and a contact number has brought so many dogs back to their owners quickly. Saved us one time too with the farm dog at the dog park. She decided to roam on her own, spent a half hour calling for her. Cell rings, are you missing a dog named ****** - I'll hold her here at the parking lot.

A friend had her dog stolen from the back yard, pug/boston cross - very beautiful dog with unusual colors. Don't know how they grabbed her, she was psychotic with strangers. Guess they decided she was too much dog and let her go. 2 am her phone rings, her dog was in the next city over 60 miles away, she didn't run that far. If not for the tag with phone number, it's likely she wouldn't have gotten her dog back.

I ran into a few dog "champions" over the years - yes, dogs and kids should be rescued if they are baking in a car. Auto start and air conditioning are wonderful, always left a blanket in the car in case the pup is too cold. I always come out to check him every 20 minutes, set the alarm on the phone if I'm going to be longer.

Came out of the store one day, may have been in there for 15 minutes on a 35C day. 4 people are at the car already, one is screaming that she's going to break the window. Whoa, do you not see the car is running? The dog is cooler than your sweaty arse. She's went on about what if I tried steal your dog. Lady, i'll leave the car door open, feel free to "try".

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Yes, it's stupid to leave to dogs or kids in hot cars, but it happens all the time. Nothing sarcastic about it. If you watch the news, you will see it happen every year. Kids and dogs dying locked in hot cars. It's a level of stupid that can't be fixed....
I think we all ( at least in here ) appreciate the hazards of leaving a dog in a hot car but I will try one more time. The topic is safeguarding one's dog from theft or loss. If a dog is left in a car with windows open it compromises the dog's security and invites theft. If the climate is an issue than I would do something such as leaving the car's climate control operating. The auto starter I have installed in my vehicle disables all other functions ( excepting climate control and engine running) so the car cannot be engaged intentionally or accidentally and I have it set for 30 minutes duration. The doors are locked and windows closed regardless of the use of the auto start functions. Even with this, I still have reservations due to mechanical failure and treat accordingly.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I think we all ( at least in here ) appreciate the hazards of leaving a dog in a hot car but I will try one more time. The topic is safeguarding one's dog from theft or loss. If a dog is left in a car with windows open it compromises the dog's security and invites theft. If the climate is an issue than I would do something such as leaving the car's climate control operating. The auto starter I have installed in my vehicle disables all other functions ( excepting climate control and engine running) so the car cannot be engaged intentionally or accidentally and I have it set for 30 minutes duration. The doors are locked and windows closed regardless of the use of the auto start functions. Even with this, I still have reservations due to mechanical failure and treat accordingly.
Probably best just to not take your dog if you know you are going to have to leave it there to go in stores, ect...That solves the whole situation....

·
Registered
884 Posts
How do people relieve themselves on long road trips without leaving dog in car?

Yeah, I leave my dog in a locked car. Take them camping, traveling, shopping, that sort of thing, weather permitting.

--------
actually a good discussion. I'd expect everyone's list to be different, different dogs, different circumstances, locations, cultures, and personal risk assessments.

I have no fence, and no back yard...so of course I let my dog out front. On leash or long-line now, in future, trained and actively engaged with me I 'may' have him off-lead for training, but not for 'chilling' ever.

He IS microchipped and always wears tags.

I never leave him tied up outside unless I'm outside with him, my neighbour leaves hers tied up outdoors, but she's inside with a big window view.
@kevinwalker , so sorry for your loss. That is tough. Bad things happen. It's always easy in hindsight to 'know' what you could have done better. A loss like that will change your 'acceptable risk' assessments, for sure....so take the precautions you need, and enjoy your new dog.

Reactions: warren1977

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I have a pretty big fear of leaving my dogs unattended. They're nice, very social dogs (Levi especially, plus being a merle, people seem very attracted to him). I'm not worried about them running away/escaping - but I'm scared of someone stealing them. My microchip and collar tags wouldn't do anything.
When my husband and I drive home, we take the dogs. We stop at rest stops and let them out, pee, water, sometimes some fetch, and then they go back in the car, and we auto-start it so we can lock it and have the AC on. We still get the stink-eye on occasion, which is silly because it's nicer for the dogs in the car than it is outside.

Reactions: warren1977

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
As far as traveling goes, if there are two of you, one can have the dog out walking on a leash while the other uses the rest room, and then switch up. If it's just you, as bad as I don't like it, I would have to crack the window, or maybe halfway down with the air on, considering it doesn't take five minutes to use the restroom, vs. going shopping etc...which is normally a half hour or more. That's when it can get dangerous.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dog :(, hopefully he's somewhere safe. These are all great tips, and will hopefully help others to keep their dogs safe. I'd like to embellish on a couple points as well.

Depending on what area you are in, it may not be a good idea to leave your dog outside unsupervised at all. In the area I work in, dog theft is a major problem, people will open your gate or snatch your dog right over the fence. I always warn people, particularly with "desirable" breeds (expensive, small/cute, status symbol) to avoid leaving their dogs out, unless they have a super secure solid (vinyl or wood privacy) fence so people can't see or get in, or easily get their dog out. I recommend chaining and/or padlocking the gates to your yard if your dog is ever out alone, as that's one more thing that will make it difficult for people to get in or your dog to get out.

Some meter readers/county workers /hired yard service people have regulations that require access to that area of your yard (which means they frown upon chaining of the gate), but you can usually request to be put on a call list so they notify you first and you can secure your dog. I have heard of many dogs let out by workers, or dogs that have bitten these "intruders", so it's best to eliminate that possibility if you can.

I also tell people that the best ID is both microchip AND collar/ID tag. I can't count the number of times that I've received a call from someone who found a dog with no collar and told them to call animal control (which people here have an aversion to because it used to be a high kill shelter, though they now have a much better adoption rate and besides, that's where an owner would look first!) or bring it to have it scanned for a chip. A fair percentage of the time, the people indicate some reason why that might be a problem, and 20 minutes or so later I get another call from someone who just found the same dog running loose, as the first person just let it go when they realized it was going to be more work than expected to find the owner. Sometimes this happens 4 or 5 times and it's incredibly frustrating to know that the dog has slipped through so many hands only to be put back in danger running loose. If these dogs had tags with valid phone numbers, the finder would just call the owner and the owner could go get the dog.

On the other hand, we regularly receive calls from owners who took a collar off their dog for a bath or other reason, and hadn't put it back on when their dog escaped. Or the dog escaped with a collar and lost it somewhere along the way. In those cases, a microchip is invaluable, since your dog still has ID. In the unfortunate situation where you find out someone has taken your dog, it also serves as proof that it is the dog you say it is and will hopefully help you get your dog back.

Regarding dogs in cars, I frequently take Bus with me in the car, and leave him in it while I run errands. In spring, summer, and fall, that usually involves doing that stuff in the evening, when it is cool. Also, during the day, he sunbathes on the dash, which is a little conspicuous. At night, he curls up in the drivers seat and you wouldn't know he was in the car- he would be an incidental finding if someone broke in, not a reason for a break in. He doesn't go with me if I'm going someplace in a "bad area" where crime/break ins are more common. Windows are up or open just a crack because it's cool, and doors are locked. I do sometimes leave him in the car with windows down more while I run into a convenience store during the day, only if I can park so I can see him the entire time to make sure no one is approaching the car. He's spent hours (with my checking on him regularly) in the car on a few occasions, and is happier in the car than at my parents' house, where I leave him if I'm going to be gone for a while. There's still a risk, but if your are sensible it can be done with minimal risk. In his case, he's probably more likely to bolt out my parents' door in panic if I leave him (he's terrified of their parrot when it starts making noise), than to be abducted from the car or have a heat stroke on a 70 degree night.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts