Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I wrote a thread ages ago when I had initially booked my holiday and was told to not worry as it was so far ahead. However my partner and I are due to go away on Wednesday to Portugal and will be leaving our dog alone for the first time.

We are leaving her with some friends who Doris knows and adores. She has been to their house a couple of times, the last time being last week and she loved snooping around their fully secure garden and nosing in their house. We have explained our rules to the owners and they are fully prepared to follow them. They are previous dog owners having lost their dog in November and are very excited to have her for the week.

Now I have no concerns about her well being. I know she will be well looked after and no doubt spoilt.

The problem however is me. I'm so worried that she will be upset at being left without me or my partner as we cannot explain to her that its only for a week. She is a little drama queen and makes the sad face whenever we leave the house.

Any tips on how I can stop worrying? I know its silly but I cannot help myself.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
The first morning of your vacation, while you are oh so comfortable laying in bed...and think..."Wow, I don't have to get up and go let the dog out...."

That will probably solve a lot of issues of not missing the dog so much. : )

Every time you start to worry...and are doing something you wouldn't be able to do with the dog along...just think about that. That your dog isn't tying you down to certain activities.

It won't solve the issue of missing one's dog, but I think it will lessen the feeling a lot if you start thinking that just like parents with kids... dog owners too, should get out and do things without the responsibility of taking care of someone else and just have some time to enjoy life for a few days totally unencumbered by having to look after the welfare of others - even if you do love them : )

Try to relax and remember your dog is safe with people who are not just going to feed and clean up after her but also will be giving your dog affection...something that kennel workers might not do. Your dog will be having fun too, exploring her new environment and having her own little vacation from the routine of life as she's known it. Lots of new things to sniff and see where she's at now. : )

Stormy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.