Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Figured I'd just add on rather than make a whole new thread...

It was so nice out the other day we took som' pics hanging out in the yard.

Magic thinks hes a bat

Everyone together.

Tippy acting like she can hear som'thing..shes faking lol

He likes to walk ALOT...Emma following him as usual...she follows him everywhere.

I also put up a Kiwi album in my profile ;)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just found a crap load of photos from a couple years ago I never knew existed....I thought this one of Tippy was extra cute...

thats a toppled toy bin shes sleeping in.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Great pics

I love my Cockatoo...but if I could do it over again, Im not sure I would have adopted him....:)

they are so demanding.
Took the words out of my mouth when I saw you had a Cockatoo. I re-homed one that was kept in a back room with no windows, and remained caged all the time. After a short time working with her to re-acclimated her to humans, I realized that they were one of the more demanding of the hookbills. After she was re-acclimated to humans and had some basics training I re-homed her to a permanent home, and my house also became much quieter (she was louder them my Macaw ever has been). Although, they are very cool birds if a person has the time, patience and experience to work with them.;)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

Magic has made great progress here, but I would not adopt him if I could do it over again.

This bird was adopted to me as a screamer/plucker....I was told hes never biten anyone...I thought cool I can handle that. I have a decent amount of bird experience.

He bit the living crap out of me two weeks in a row and when I told the rescue lady about it she said how wierd that was and reiterated that hes never bitten anyone...made me feel like a complete failure..

about a week ago I saw her again and she asked if the bird was continuing to bite me... I told her yes and we have to use a stick to put him back in his cage (thats his trigger) she then proceeds to say "yeah the last home returned him because he wouldn't stop biting her" I wanted to choke this woman...I've made a 60+ year commitment to a bird she lied to me about. Iam still pissed.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Rehomed parrots and rescues take a different type of work. It is mainly trust building like you would do with an abused child. I have helped several people with parrots that were suppose to be well mannered and never bite. Really glad to see you stepped up and took him in. It would have been much easier on you if you have took in a zon or a macaw though. :)

LOL, I have a scar on my finger where My Zon bit me to the bone. I was on the phone with my mom and almost blew her ear drums out. It was my fault. I was pacing, and not watching Charlies body language.

Charlie (chuckels) was a rehome, his orgional owner died of cancer. The person I purchased him from could not handle him and was actually angry when I stuck my arm next to charlie and said 'step up'. Charlies climbed right up and said Hello.

My Alexadrine Parakeet (Lexie) is about 13, was a rescue, and is still a crabby turd unless I have a peanut in my hand.

Clover the quaker was a rehome from a person who didn't know what they were getting into. I suggested she get a ringneck, or a conure if she wanted a calmer bird.

And my Macaw recently renamed Bubba or butterball was only 2 months old when i got him. I handfeed him into adulthood. He is about to start his terrible two's. Just think, a Macaw in his terrible two's is like a kid hyped up on suger, but is armed with a can opener that can excert up to 400 lbs of pressure. I never thought I would hear myself say the words "Don't eat the wall" lol.

Anyway, Off subject again. Sorry, lol

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I wanted a Macaw or an amazon (more my personality)...but rescues will not talk to me as I have dogs and snakes.

The main issue is the bird wants nothing to do with me...its in love with my husband and will play/sing/talk when hes in the room....my husband has zero interest in the bird, and does not interact with it. If I try to interact with the 'too he sits there...he wont talk, wont take food, wont move...if I leave him alone however he screams for attention. If I take him out he does nothing and when I put him back he bites the piss out of me.

He wont play with any toys that aren't foraging toys...so Iam slowly buying more of them (expensive!)

he basically wants attention 24/7 and when you give it to him he sits there like a statue. A big white biting statue. I've tried having him out with me while I do tasks but if you break eye contact for more than a moment...he nails you. He pretty much wants you to stare/talk to him and the second you stop hes upset and of course when a cockatoo gets upset they take hours to calm back down.

progress is slow...I figure he needs more time.

I think I've said don't eat the wall too...lol

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Check in your area for a bird mart (traveling convention of bird supply vendors and local breeders). I stock up every year at them on toys. Macaw toys for 10 bucks sometimes, and a Macaw cage for 100 (normal 500-1k). Make sure you don't touch any birds there unless you have sanitizer. Most of the good breeders that go will make you sanitizer before going near their birds. I am off to one here in October, to restock. :)

There are plenty of places to rescue a Parrot. Many people buy them because they are preety and a conversation piece. When they start to pluck from boredom and stress they are sold off. Rescue organizations are good, but I have a problem with the ones that turn down good loving homes because of certain things. My macaw landed on cleo's collar one day (must have looked like a good perch), Cleo sprinted across the kitchen in fear and all I saw was fur and feathers. Cleo would never hurt any of the birds but a rescue would look at her like a bird killer.

Your Too may be a female, Has it been DNA sexed to make sure? Sounds weird but birds are so intelligent that they prefer the opposite sex in owners. Their instinctual drive to find a mate is strong enough in some that it crosses species barriers. I have more trouble out of my zon then any of the others because he is a male. My macaw doesn't really care. Since I hand fed him I am his mama/daddy in his eyes. Be careful with a Too, if she is a female, and your husband ever decided to interact with her, then you could be subject to an attack or be challenged for your position in the family. (Too will even kill their own mates on occasion)

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
who'd you get him from? i mean what type of person had him before you got him? maybe he likes the hubby because he ignores him???? what about clicker training him? i was just thinking, maybe 101 things to do with a box might help him to open up...stimulate his mind.....you probably thought of all that tho...:)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was told hes dna sexed male...but was not given any paperwork. I would not be surprised if thats wrong.

There is a bird show I am planning on attending when it comes around to stock up...so far I've been buying toys online since the local big box store only have parakeet toys... lol I'd like a larger cage too...hes in a 4x3 only because it was the largest I could find anywhere within 100 miles...at the rescue he was in a cockatiel cage...with one toy...not wonder he ripped his feathers out.

you should post a thread with pics of your guys!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
who'd you get him from? i mean what type of person had him before you got him? maybe he likes the hubby because he ignores him???? what about clicker training him? i was just thinking, maybe 101 things to do with a box might help him to open up...stimulate his mind.....you probably thought of all that tho...:)
First owner spent 24/7 with him for seven years...even hand feeding all his meals...then there were two owners back to back...returned for liking the wrong person (like whats happening to me) and then returned for biting...Iam his fourth home. Third in one year.

he doesn't trust me so he wont take food from me. If I just set it down he wont eat it unless I leave. I need a reinforcer he wants before I can train him :) I've marker trained parrots in the past, but this one seems a toughie...I've tried letting him get hungry and I can get one or two clicks in but thats just charging the clicker...if I stand there and wait for a behavior...i'll be waiting all day... he litterally just sits there...I decided one day to REALLY wait his fuzzy butt out and click for movement...so he took a nap.:p

after the first two bites back to back he got ignored quite a bit...while my hand healed (it was pretty messed up)...didn't faze him. :p

I need to find out what birdy crack is.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
hmmmm I can try it...lol

so far he likes peanuts....ALOT...still wont eat them if Iam there...if I hand them to him, he drops them or doesn't take them

I have actually been using the door opening as a reward...if talks to me through the door...I'll open it...hes actually talking alot more now.. unfortunately if hes screaming he have to close the door...my husband works nights...

He used to scream and scream and scream (for hours)...now he'll scream...we shut the door and after about ten seconds go by and you hear...hello? Iam a good boy! HI! Hello?....hes learned that talking to me gets rewarded with an open door.

This is a new thing tho...only been about a week...I think life rewards, not food, are going to go far with him

ETA: you ever seen a dog thats really really really shutdown? Thats what he reminds me of. Genetics say to interact with people but experience says people are scary and untrustworthy and the only safe responce is no responce. am I making sence?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
hmmmm I can try it...lol

so far he likes peanuts....ALOT...still wont eat them if Iam there...if I hand them to him, he drops them or doesn't take them

I have actually been using the door opening as a reward...if talks to me through the door...I'll open it...hes actually talking alot more now.. unfortunately if hes screaming he have to close the door...my husband works nights...

He used to scream and scream and scream (for hours)...now he'll scream...we shut the door and after about ten seconds go by and you hear...hello? Iam a good boy! HI! Hello?....hes learned that talking to me gets rewarded with an open door.

This is a new thing tho...only been about a week...I think life rewards, not food, are going to go far with him

ETA: you ever seen a dog thats really really really shutdown? Thats what he reminds me of. Genetics say to interact with people but experience says people are scary and untrustworthy and the only safe responce is no responce. am I making sence?
that makes perfect sense. great you had a breakthrough with him...i hope that just the one breakthrough will open the door...

my experience with birds (limited experience)involves a lot of observational learning on the part of the bird...is he in the same room when you work with the dogs? it may help him to see how nice you are to the dogs when you train them. also the meat thing...limited amounts of good meat are good for them, and like i said, at the zoo, they just went crazy for it. i was thinking just like 1/2tsp of something like the nature's balance rolls. maybe the name game with the dogs, name, mark, eye contact, reward in front of him a few times, but w/o paying any attention to him, then one time with him, name, mark, ****any response, or non at all*** then just toss a bit of meat in his dish and immediately walk away...he'll know it's there....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
he watches me train the dogs...I have to *show* him how to play with a new toy or it will just sit there...

the "bird people" on the bird forum say not to expect much for the first year, I got him in may...heck I've got a long time to figure him out.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts