Votes: 6 60.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night was Snicker's second check up with her vet. I really like the vet because he is a traveling vet (comes to your house), was recommended by a friend, has very reasonable prices, and seems to know what he is talking about.

He comes in last night and was trying to examine Snickers and she was trying to bite him and his clothes like she does to everyone else. I haven't been able to get her to change that behavior, partly because I think she is a puppy and she is supposed to bite, but it is annoying...that's for another topic. He said "no" a few times and she didn't listen so he held her snout shut for a few seconds and she even whimpered once. I was told not to do that because it could make them afraid of hands. That proved ineffective so he performed an Alpha Roll. She played along at first and then resisted and he held her there and at one point she cried out. I wasn't too pleased, but kept my mouth shut. He did this 2 or 3 times and when he was done she darted away! Like she was thinking "get me the hell out of here!". She stayed away for about 10 seconds then went back to him as if nothing had happened.

Later I asked him to trim her nails and Snickers does NOT like this, but it had to be done. He held her and she was fine until he turned the rotary tool on and she fought like hell to get away and even cried out again! She eventually gave up and sat contently while he finished then he let her go and she seemed fine.

He said that we give in to her and he doesn't and that we have to demonstrate to her we are in control. It is true, if I made my dog shriek or cry out I'd stop whatever the hell I was doing immediately!

This morning my Mom tried to pick her up and she played a little hard to get. This could have been because she was a little wound up and wanted to play, or the vet could have made her afraid? She hasn't shown any other signs that his actions has caused any behavior changes.

He is supposed to be out again in 4 weeks to spay her and give her the last round of shots. I'm pretty pissed about what happened last night and am considering having a very blunt conversation that I don't want any repeat performances. I don't want her scared of her vet or men in general.

Thoughts? Advice?

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
I vote new vet...hes going to be set in his ways and likely wont handle the dog differently...heck sounds like he doesn't even know how.

for restraint I have always seen/done where you hold the dog against you firmly. One person holds the dogs head and body while the doctor sorta helps hold and does whatever he needs to do.

I had to go through about 6 or so vets until I found one that didn't either BS me or handle the dog roughly.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Personally, if he is a good vet (they are hard to find) I would try to talk to him first. He continues to treat the puppy any way that you don't like then I would get a new vet. I drive 45 minutes to our vet because I love them and it is hard to find one that I like. If this is the only problem and you like everything else I would talk to him but it also depends on how bad this bothered you.

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
i would get a new vet...
it is extremely important, that your dog have good experiences with as many people as possible, and your vet should be more then aware of this....if he didn't like your dog's manners, it would be way more valuable for everyone if he explained to you how he thought you should train that rather then take it upon himself to correct her the way he did. that fact that he did so without first asking you was completely innappropriate and his explanation for doing so imo are both signs that he isn't much concerned with your opinion in the matter...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
I'm going to disagree :)

I say keep the vet. You *get* to see how your dog is handled. Your dog wasn't hurt. (yelping in this situation I view as a tactic to get the vet to let him go)

That's why vet's have a back room...they need to restrain an animal to get things done and owners do not like to see it (it's not hurting them, but it can be upsetting to us).

The bottom line-vets do not have six hours to patiently clip nails or get a blood sample. Ever been in hospital-that nurse may not have been nice but she got your IV in quick and got her job done. It's not perfect but they have to get their work done. OR they'd have to charge you an arm and a leg to do it 'slowly and gently' as you may want done.

If this vet knows his stuff and comes to your house? Awesome.
If you don't like the way he restrained your dog, get a muzzle to wear when he's over so he doesn't have to fight and get in there and help your vet hold your dog!! :) (You can even make a gentle muzzle out of guaze in a pinch).

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
I'm going to disagree :)

I say keep the vet. You *get* to see how your dog is handled. Your dog wasn't hurt. (yelping in this situation I view as a tactic to get the vet to let him go)

That's why vet's have a back room...they need to restrain an animal to get things done and owners do not like to see it (it's not hurting them, but it can be upsetting to us).

The bottom line-vets do not have six hours to patiently clip nails or get a blood sample. Ever been in hospital-that nurse may not have been nice but she got your IV in quick and got her job done. It's not perfect but they have to get their work done. OR they'd have to charge you an arm and a leg to do it 'slowly and gently' as you may want done.
there is a world of difference between restraining a dog and correcting a dogs behavior by holding their nose shut and doing an alpha roll
He comes in last night and was trying to examine Snickers and she was trying to bite him and his clothes like she does to everyone else. I haven't been able to get her to change that behavior, partly because I think she is a puppy and she is supposed to bite, but it is annoying...that's for another topic. He said "no" a few times and she didn't listen so he held her snout shut for a few seconds and she even whimpered once. I was told not to do that because it could make them afraid of hands. That proved ineffective so he performed an Alpha Roll.
yes help the vet restrain...yes things have to be done and the dog needs to be restrained for those things...but the restraint of the dog wasn't the issue as far as i could tell....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
there is a world of difference between restraining a dog and correcting a dogs behavior by holding their nose shut and doing an alpha roll
For sure-but the vet was just trying to get his job done =he's not there to train your dog :)

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
that is actually my point...why would he do an alpha roll and then explain:

Quote:
He said that we give in to her and he doesn't and that we have to demonstrate to her we are in control.
Because that's how he controls dogs I'm guessing. Basically he was likely frustrated and trying what he knows to get the dog under control.
He didn't say-start doing this all the time or anything ;) and he could be very old school (or watch ceasar millan :p) -but bottom line he was just trying to get a puppy to hold still and do his job.

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Because that's how he controls dogs I'm guessing. Basically he was likely frustrated and trying what he knows to get the dog under control.
if he finds normal puppy behavior frustrating...perhaps he should re-think career choices...;)
this was the pups 2nd visit with him...maybe i'm too demanding, but i expect my vet to make some time to ease the dog through the whole experience...it isn't about him it is about the dog/cat/pet and it is his job, a service he is giving his customer....
i do definitaley get restraining when you need to...and have held down all different sorts of struggling animals myself...i promise:p

He didn't say-start doing this all the time or anything ;) and he could be very old school (or watch ceasar millan :p) -but bottom line he was just trying to get a puppy to hold still and do his job
i disagree...an alpha roll is a specifc correction in dominance theory...if he were just trying to do his job he would have asked for assistence in restraining the dog...or simply restrained her w/o doing it.

i also think that his comment about "showing the dog who is in control" infers that he believes this should be done....

of course...not our dog...so we don't get to decide...but...my opinion anyway...for what it's worth:)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Good Point!!
I think we're on the same page sort of-I don't agree with what he did. But I don't think I would stop seeing him-just discuss, and really just take it on myself to hold the animal while he's doing his thing :)

Honestly I'd stop if say he picked an animal up by the scruff or was using more force or restraint then necessary.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
all I know is there are vets out there that can restrain WITHOUT resorting to those sorts of tactics...its not like her dog is HUGE.

Either way, I'd rather keep the bad experiences out of my home...it is convienent that the vet can come to you Iam sure, but I want the bad experiences that MUST happen to not happen in my home personally.:)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
all I know is there are vets out there that can restrain WITHOUT resorting to those sorts of tactics...its not like her dog is HUGE.

Either way, I'd rather keep the bad experiences out of my home...it is convienent that the vet can come to you Iam sure, but I want the bad experiences that MUST happen to not happen in my home personally.:)
That is a good point.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Yes good point!

Also I was thinking-most animals act alot different at the vets office (resist less because they are stressed) and likely the pup was acting out because this stranger is bothering her at home ;) and at the vet office may act completely different

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I want the bad experiences that MUST happen to not happen in my home personally.:)
Good point!

its not like her dog is HUGE.
I'm a dude! :p It's Oliwa, not Olivia. :eek: In case anyone was wondering, Oliwa is the last name of a former NHL player and I thought it sounded cool.

Thanks for all of your advice! I think I am going to keep the vet and talk with him next time he visits and explain I'm drunk on the positive training kool-aid and want to employ those techniques unless absolutely positively necessary.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Thanks for all of your advice! I think I am going to keep the vet and talk with him next time he visits and explain I'm drunk on the positive training kool-aid and want to employ those techniques unless absolutely positively necessary.
Haha, that sounds funny/cool. :p

Good idea, I hope it works out for you all! :)

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
I'm a dude! :p It's Oliwa, not Olivia. :eek: In case anyone was wondering, Oliwa is the last name of a former NHL player and I thought it sounded cool.

Well I'll be damned...sorry about that.:D Everyone thinks iam a dude, so fair trade...LOL

yeah, once you've had too much of the Kool aid you'll start analyzing people you see in public and shaking your head. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.