Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
We start by going to nursing homes and such visiting the residents and staff there. After a year of volunteering, I can try to get Timber into the program with children reading in schools and such. On November 1st, he's going for an evaluation to become a therapy dog for Brian Injury Services. They have community housing and Timber would go visit the patients there too. I believe Brian Injury Services also has an animal assisted therapy animal program, and i'd like to get Timber into that program eventually too. :)

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Congrats... I hope Timber has lots of fun and brings much needed comfort and joy to people for years to come.

You deserve a big pat on the back too for taking it upon yourself to get your dog trained and take the time to this kind of work.

Stormy

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Stormy. I think Tynan would also be a good therapy dog but he doesn't like strange dogs in his face, so meeting dogs in the evaluation wouldn't work as he is the type of dog that needs more time to meet new dogs. If he gets enough time, he is perfectly fine. Karitsa is WAY to rough. She likes to poke hard with her nose, lol. Maybe once she settles as she gets older i'll see if she would suit being a therapy dog. One of her nick names is "torpedo head", lol.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would like to share that Timber went for another evaluation with a different place that uses therapy dogs and he passed that evaluation as well!! He can now visit with persons with brain injuries who live in assisted housing. I am so proud of my baby boy Timber. :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Great news! Just an idea.. I know Julius K9 has some harnesses for therapy dogs, and they also have some "don't touch" patches for them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Congratulations to you and Timber! That's really exciting news.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts