Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the spirit of more exercise for my chubby puppy I've decided I'd like to bring him for my morning coffee walk. But he's not allowed inside. I asked and they have a sign that says "we love pooches" and its totally fine with them to tie him up while I place my order.
I'll be able to see him easily as the store has huge front windows and the counter is only like 10ft into the store. My concern is how he screams and yelps like he's dying when I walk away. How on earth do I fix that. My boyfriend doesn't even like holding him while I go inside because he freaks out and makes him seem like he's secretly torturing a puppy.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Will take awhile but personally if I were to do this, I would train it as a stay. Maybe even an out of sight stay if difgicult for your dog to watch you in the shop. You'll likely want to have a good foundation first with all 3 d's (duration, distance, and distraction) and then introduce the new element of you leaving your dog's sight. Can't give a ton of details on my phone but let me know if you have questions. And I'm sure others will be able to offer tips as well.

If able, consider calling in your order to shorten time you need to leave your dog. I might also plan ahead with cash, rounding up so I could hand over $ for my order and tell them to just keep the difference as a tip and be out of there immediately.

A bit ot but do consider some of the things that can and have happened with dogs tied outside shops. May be more risk than you want to take on... Seems to depend a lot on the area and individual dog's temperament.

:)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Why not ask if you can call in your order while you are right there, but outside? Or if your boyfriend walks with you, he can go inside to order. It may be that your area is not like mine, but here dogs are stolen all the time and then resold on Craigslist or to laboratories. Even if you are watching, if someone had a car and a partner in crime, the dog could be stolen and stashed somewhere a few blocks away before you got out the door.
Not to mention the subculture of idiot dog owners who proudly walk around with fighting dogs. Again, the damage would be done before you got out the door, and there might not be a lot of sympathy on the part of the police if you called them, when you told them you left your dog tied up alone.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
How old is he? You can practice this at home or parks where the whining is less annoying.

I agree with the teaching it as a stay. Thats how I did it.

I tie up my dogs outside stores daily. It allows me to let them take part in a lot more of my life than would be possible if I didn't

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent suggestions! I see the issue now. He doesn't know "stay" yet. He's only 4 months old. It's time to start working on that.

I live in a very liberal nature oriented community. Even though I can't bring him a lot of places, this town is very nice. I've only ever heard of dogs being stolen around here if you're involved with a certain type of crowd. And I don't exactly steal drugs from meth addicts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't really deal with this issue with my other dog because he can be dog aggressive and he doesn't go unattended anywhere ever

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Have your boyfriend wait with him, out of sight of you. I suspect if he can't see you he will settle down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts