Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Argh! I took my dog to romp in the woods yesterday and we had a great time. He really loves it out there. Before I put him back in the car, I checked him from stem to stern for ticks. All clear.

When we got home I checked him again and brushed him. No Ticks.

About two hours later I looked down at him and he had a black spot right between his eyes. Took a close look and sure enough... Tick! I gotta tell you, those things give me the willies! I grabbed a tissue and got it off him. It was not embedded, just walking around on his head.

As I was getting it off him, I see another black spot between his shoulders, right where I applied the Frontline Plus. Yep... another tick!

I got that one off too and felt him all over, looked closely again... no ticks.

About an hour later, I am petting him and feel a little lump. I dug into his fur and sure enough that was another little freeloader! This one was embedded, though. His fur is really short for the summer, so I can't figure out how those things can hide so well.

The Frontline didn't seem to repel them (although maybe without it, he would have had 30 instead of 3).

As you can see, he has pretty short fur, so it really baffles me how those ticks can hide so well.

-Mike-

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please check out Krazy For Pets Blog. Not so long ago we had a post about shampoo that helps repel fleas and ticks. It may be something that can help your dog.
Thanks for the link. I will have to give that a try. I find it interesting that it contains citronella because I was just reading about an anti-barking collar that sprays citronella in the dog's face when he barks. According to the ad, dogs don't like the smell. Have you noticed that your dog doesn't like the smell?

Thanks again!
-Mike-

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for the link. I will have to give that a try. I find it interesting that it contains citronella because I was just reading about an anti-barking collar that sprays citronella in the dog's face when he barks. According to the ad, dogs don't like the smell. Have you noticed that your dog doesn't like the smell?

Thanks again!
-Mike-
Hi Mike,

That's why this shampoo has green tea and lime scent. I personally like the smell of this Dirty & Hairy. It's not too strong like other scented shampoo and it doesn't smell like a doctor office. Many fleas and ticks repellent shampoo has a chemical kind of smell to it but this one doesn't.
Anyway if you decide to get one, apply coupon code "V73XUTBQS1W8" while check out at our store to receive 10% discount.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Mike,

That's why this shampoo has green tea and lime scent. I personally like the smell of this Dirty & Hairy. It's not too strong like other scented shampoo and it doesn't smell like a doctor office. Many fleas and ticks repellent shampoo has a chemical kind of smell to it but this one doesn't.
Anyway if you decide to get one, apply coupon code "V73XUTBQS1W8" while check out at our store to receive 10% discount.
Thank you again!
-Mike-

·
Registered
40 Posts
Repellants are rubbish. Citronella and lime and all that stuff is rubbish too.. There is no evidence that pests dislike citronella, and nobody can figure out where that crazy rumour came from.

The chemical smelling shampoos are the best, because they contain insecticide/acaricide. You're much better off with an insecticide/acaricide than you are with a smelly repellant shampoo. Advantix is great for ticks.. but it is important to maintain daily or alternate daily tick checks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you for this post!
My boyfriend and dog are in Saskatchewan for the summer and I'm absolutely paranoid about them bringing ticks back with them. Two of the little buggers made it back last time they were home for a visit - not impressed in the least.
I sound like a little schoolgirl I'm sure but they creep me right out!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tell me about it! I hate the little pests. The summer months in northern Wisconsin seem to produce a ton of ticks so I try to treat my dogs as often as possible before and after making a visit. I use Frontline (I get mine at FarmMedley.com) before and then when I get home with them I'll give them a bath with flea & tick shampoo. I usually have pretty good success with this, although it's not unusual to find one or two even after taking these steps. Sneaky little devils!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts