Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...so we have a tick issue. We bought a spray ourselves PLUS had our bug guy come out and spray. We are still finding ticks. Any suggestions/ideas? We are considering ripping out all of our grass :( I know a neighbor has got to have the ticks because we are only finding babies and little ones, no big ones. Our grass is watered once daily, should we flood the grass? I only want to use topical treatment on the dogs last resort.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
{{Getting rid of tick vibes}} I don't have advice so I'm sending vibes {{Die ticks die!!}}

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Ok...so we have a tick issue. We bought a spray ourselves PLUS had our bug guy come out and spray. We are still finding ticks. Any suggestions/ideas? We are considering ripping out all of our grass :( I know a neighbor has got to have the ticks because we are only finding babies and little ones, no big ones. Our grass is watered once daily, should we flood the grass? I only want to use topical treatment on the dogs last resort.
someone posted something on here about diotenatious earth? i'm sure i spelled that wrong, and i don't know anything about it, but it may be worth looking into, maybe creating a barrier around your yard or something????? maybe it would help too if you changed the landscaping around the edges of your yard? make it a tick no-zone or something???? sorry, this may be useless, just sorta brainstorming possibilities...
{{Getting rid of tick vibes}} I don't have advice so I'm sending vibes {{Die ticks die!!}}
omg :rofl::rofl::rofl::lolsign::lolsign::lolsign:

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We don't have grass along the edges, its rock. The grass is only in the center of the yard.

By a barrier you mean a wall? :) got that already too. lol

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
We don't have grass along the edges, its rock. The grass is only in the center of the yard.

By a barrier you mean a wall? :) got that already too. lol
yes, like a zone maybe 1-2 ft deep that the dogs don't go into and maybe some of the following..

just googled some stuff...this site:

companion plants to ward off pests

says that sage repels ticks...

this one is blocked from work, but looks helpfull
hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Repel-Ticks-Naturally

this one seemed helpful
HOME REMEDIES, HOLISTIC APPROACH, & REPELLENT PLANTS - Chinaroad Lowchens of Australia

and this one might be too
An Organic Gardening Resource

sorry, i just grabbed a bunch, but i haven't had a chance to read through them yet..

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, like a zone maybe 1-2 ft deep that the dogs don't go into and maybe some of the following..
Actually our yard is way too small to do this :(
Cool Ill check this out! Didn't think of plants that scare off little creepy crawlers! Good idea :) Will check all those sites and do some more research as soon as my study session is over

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
sweet...i think sage is a good bet, even if it doesn't work, it smells good, and it grows well in an arid climate....so maybe like a ring of sage along the fence-line and whatever else you discover....keep us posted on what you find too if you don't mind...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Banned
557 Posts
We use to detour ticks bleach 1/4 to 3/4 water. This kills the mold they feed on. We just started this after Zubin got lyme, and I will say- it worked!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
We use to detour ticks bleach 1/4 to 3/4 water. This kills the mold they feed on. We just started this after Zubin got lyme, and I will say- it worked!
i don't understand this:confused: ticks feed on blood, not mold....

TICKS

What do ticks eat? Males and female ticks suck blood from mammals (including people), as well as from birds, reptiles, and amphibians. Like redbugs, they wait on small bushes, moss, and sticks for an animal to walk by. They jump onto you and crawl around until they find a spot where they feel safe enough to bite you. (This will often be on the scalp (head), back of the neck, waist, or ankles.) Ticks have sharp mouthparts which they bury in your skin. Their mouthparts hang on really tight and make it difficult to remove ticks from your skin. While attached, they drink blood to use as food. After they are full, they drop off into the plants on the ground. Female ticks lay eggs in the moss and shrubs.

maybe the bleach kills the eggs:confused:

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
That could be it-killing the eggs. That's why some parasites are hard to get rid of-like lice...lifecycles!!

Do ticks drink blood or use it to reproduce like mosquitos? I don't know much about bugs...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Don't know if saying that small ticks are babies is accurate. Deer ticks are smaller than dog ticks or brown ticks. Best bet is to collect them into a jar of alcohol and have your vet ID them. Different ticks carry different nasties.

Don't know where you are but this is the second bad year in a row in upstate NY. Humidity and heat makes bug thrive. We are seeing a lot of Lyme also, due to the ticks from last year.

I am seeing ticks on dogs from the middle of the city even. The ticks are just thriving on vegetation between carrying around on dogs, deer, cats, wild things, people....you get the picture.

If it were me I would treat the dogs and cats with Frontline Plus. Spray the house with a duel killer for ticks and likewise the yard.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't know if saying that small ticks are babies is accurate. Deer ticks are smaller than dog ticks or brown ticks. Best bet is to collect them into a jar of alcohol and have your vet ID them. Different ticks carry different nasties.

Don't know where you are but this is the second bad year in a row in upstate NY. Humidity and heat makes bug thrive. We are seeing a lot of Lyme also, due to the ticks from last year.

I am seeing ticks on dogs from the middle of the city even. The ticks are just thriving on vegetation between carrying around on dogs, deer, cats, wild things, people....you get the picture.

If it were me I would treat the dogs and cats with Frontline Plus. Spray the house with a duel killer for ticks and likewise the yard.
I have actually heard the opposite as far as deer tick and dog tick size. weird.

They are dog ticks that was not the concern. Also I do not like frontline plus, I personally find it a huge waste of money and don't prefer to put chemicals on my dog. If we go with a topical we will go with a cheaper option. The yard and house has been sprayed multiple times. The house was sprayed once then we realized they aren't even in the house, they are only present on the dogs when they go outside and come back in.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Here's a super site I just found on ticks-shows sizes, species, diseases they carry. From normal to engorged; And the repellents!!

Tick identification pictures and descriptions

Deer Tick & Related Species

Description: Often confused with brown dog tick during later engorgement due to shield design. Mouth part is much longer than brown dog tick mouthparts. Brown dog ticks seldom attach to humans.
Repellents: Permethrin clothing treatment kills ticks and deet-based skin repellent helps repel them.
Diseases: Lyme disease, Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis​

Clockwise from top: female, male, larval, nymph

The changing face as the deer tick engorges
Left to Right: unengorged female, 1/4 engorged, 1/2 engorged and fully engorged.

American Dog Tick

Description: Looks like Rocky Mountain Wood tick (Dermacentor andersoni - DA), and Gulf Coast Tick (Amblyomma maculatum - AM). Mouthparts are shorter than AM.
Repellents: Permethrin clothing treatment kills ticks and deet-based skin repellent helps repel them.
Diseases: Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Tuleremia and may carry Human Granulocytic Ehrlichiosis​

Left to Right: female, male

Left to Right: unengorged female, 1/4 engorged, 1/2 engorged and fully engorged

Brown Dog Tick

Description: Male and female are difficult to distinguish. Attachment to people is uncommon. Often confused with Deer tick during later engorgement due to shield design. Mouth part is much shorter than Deer tick mouthparts.
Diseases: None known.

Left to Right: female, male

Left to Right: unengorged female, 1/4 engorged, 1/2 engorged and fully engorged compare to deer tick sequence below. Note dark circular shield on both; mouth parts are shorter.

Deer tick engorgement sequence.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Old post, but diatomaceous earth works GREAT on bugs. It is completely harmless to mammals and works by dehydrating exoskeletons. I don't think it's safe for reptiles if you have any outdoor critters. We get scorpions like crazy, and using it as a detour to line entryways works well (along with spraying for the bugs that scorpions eat). I'm assuming it would also work well to line property - but, as it is a powder, it will wash away fairly quickly in wet weather. You can buy it at Home Depot or Lowes. :)

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
shudders @ ticks..parasites...

~MSE

1 - 18 of 18 Posts