Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went to a local trail 1.5 weeks ago to take family photos. While we are avid hikers and generally take precautions against ticks, in the chaos of preparing everyone for the shoot, I forgot. A day later, we found a tick on my daughter and promptly checked everyone else. We found nothing. A week later, my 8-year-old, normally very athletic and agile lab, starting acting funny. Initially, I thought it was a soft tissue injury or arthritis, but it got worse quickly. Within a day, she could no longer jump onto the bed without completely losing her hind legs. And when she stood after having laid down for 10+ minutes, she could barely take weight on the back end.

I'd heard of something called tick paralysis, and so I checked her again. On the third check, I found a tick and removed it. The next morning, I found a tick on me -- we think it jumped ship while I was combing her the night before. We checked everyone again. I gave our dog a tick bath and took her into the vet, who gave her a medication meant to kill any ticks still on her. She was diagnosed with tick paralysis and they said she should be fully recovered in 3 days.

It has now been almost 4 days and she is the same, if not slightly worse. After her initial treatment, she refused food for 36 hours, and so we started feeding her chicken and rice. She has no had a bowel movement in 3 days. Recently, she has been declining water and I've had to give her water through a syringe. Her hind end is still extremely weak. She can walk on carpet or rugs very stiffly, but doesn't have the muscle control to walk on smooth surfaces like tile or wood. She needs to be carried down stairs and lifted onto and off the bed. She tried to jump off the bed earlier today and nearly crashed through a wall.

Her temperature, heart and respiratory rate are normal. But, she is very lethargic. Our vet wants us to wait until Monday before taking further action, but I am so worried. This is our first baby. And our one-year-old daughter loves her. She has been bringing the dog toys and books all day because she knows something is up!

I live in Central Washington (the state), if that helps.

I'd love any and all advice, knowledge, experience, etc. Our vet said tick paralysis is pretty rare in this area -- maybe three cases a year in his clinic -- and Lyme Disease is even more so. He said he can't even remember the last case of Lyme Disease.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't know anything about tick paralysis other than what I have seen on tv. I live in Ireland and we don't have paralysis ticks here thank god - however - if she is not eating and not passing stools I would get a second opinion from another vet asap and I would demand that she be put on a drip to get some fluids into her - this in turn should help also.
Tick paralysis from what I have seen on Australian vet programmes can be serious if it starts to affect their respiratory system. Either way she needs a drip and some form on medicine to counter-act the toxins from the tick bite.
I would also demand blood tests to be done and a urine sample taken.
Please take her to another vet as soon as possible!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts