Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to share a wonderful update on my progress with our Gracie on her storm fear issues. Maybe it will inspire some of you to try my storm fear training methods that I have written about here on this forum.

The other day we were all settling in to go to bed about 12:30 pm. All three dogs were finally settled in their special sleeping spots. It had been a hot sunny day here. All of a sudden across our TV screen came a severe thunder warning with possible hail!!! And it was only about 10 minutes away, heading in our direction. Crapola! We hadn't heard about any storms prior for that day.

Truthfully, I was so tired and really did not have the energy to get back up and start our counter conditioning with food, etc like we normally do every single storm. But...... of course, I would get up and do it because it is SUPER important to me to help my sweet Gracie, AND I am determined to get her to the point that she is no longer bothered by storms/thunder.

So as I am telling my lazy self to get my butt up and outta bed to get the treats before the storm arrives, I look over at Gracie...... and she is lying down in her spot all cozy. WAIT....she did not tell us that the storm was coming???? Whaaaaat??? She ALWAYS tells us by pawing at us nervously panting, and climbing over our heads on our pillows like a cat (Blue Heeler mix Gracie is 40 lbs, so a bit bigger than a cat)

So we turn the TV up a bit to partially mask any thunder that may come (yeah right) and decide for once to wait and see....

Nothing. Nada. Zilch. No stress response whatsoever from Gracie!! She never even tells us. I sneak a few more peeks at her -- and she never even gets up! Still snoozin' away. And we get lightening and thunder and heavy rain.

FIRST TIME EVER! My counter conditioning methods are absolutely working! All that hard work, patience, understanding, comfort, and science based counter conditioning is actually changing her mindset about how she feels about storms/thunder!!

If anyone doubts that it works, I will tell you it does!! Your dog does not have to live in fear/stress the rest of his/her life.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s wonderful! Good job Gracie and good job to you for persevering!
Thanks! I find it so awesome and amazing to see her brain changing and becoming more and more confidant... and brave!!!

No wonder I find myself spending waaaay too much time always either training my dogs or studying about dog behavior...now if I could only focus on my real work....:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts