Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently am the proud owner of a 1 year old Beagle (Gnarley) and my wife and I are moving to a house with a relatively big back yard that will be fenced in. We are looking at adopting a Siberian Husky. Since we are moving from an apartment we thought that it wouldn't be fair to the Husky to live in such a small space but now that we will have a larger area for both dogs to play in I think it would be great for them. I think Gnarley would love having another dog around the house. We recently dog sat for a friend and Gnarley and the other dog did nothing but play for the 2 days.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The friend's dog you sat for.. was this dog the same size as Gnarley? Because you're looking at a decent size difference between the Husky and the Beagle of several inches and probably double the pounds in weight.

This isn't necessarily a "problem" per-se, but you have to be aware that even during normal play, a larger dog has the capability of harming a smaller dog by accident. So as long as someone is always there to supervise the two dogs or as long as there is a way to separate them when not supervised, I don't see too much of a problem.

I'm somewhat sensitive to this issue myself because our mini-Eskie sustained a leg injury while playing with a larger dog. The larger dog was very gentle and sweet, and it was even a supervised play session.. but the larger dog just came down wrong on the smaller dog, and that's all it took in an instant.

We were very lucky to walk away with only a soft-tissue injury. One little break in her leg could cost $2,000 at the vet -- keep this in mind as well.

It isn't that I'm trying to dissuade you from getting the dog, but rather informing you of the potential for problems so you can make an informed decision. Huskies are high-energy high-commitment dogs and even with good training and good temperment, the

You also need to consider that taking home a Husky just because you now have a large back yard needs to not be the only factor here. As I said, these are high-commitment dogs. What I mean by that is if you don't properly train the dog, the high-energy nature can quickly lead to behavior problems and the dog can become out of control. This means walking the dog for nice long walks every single day, not just tossing him out in the back yard to play. Walking a dog is not just about exercise, but about strengthening your relationship with the dog. Huskies can be stubborn and you want the dog to see you as a leader, not just a play pal.

When it comes to Huskies, there are very few times I would actually recommend someone get one... I have more experiences with people who got them and ended up in over their head than I do with people who got one and had a mostly positive experience. If you want to get a second dog who would enjoy your back yard, there are a lot of breeds of dog I'd recommend far before a Husky.. just about most of them. :D

Those are my thoughts. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dog we dog sat for was a black lab so there was a size difference.

Gnarley has just finished his first obedience class and will begin his second class soon. So now my wife and I know how to train a dog so when we get a second dog, we will begin training them immediately.

Thank you for your thoughts. They are very helpful.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I currently am the proud owner of a 1 year old Beagle (Gnarley) and my wife and I are moving to a house with a relatively big back yard that will be fenced in. We are looking at adopting a Siberian Husky. Since we are moving from an apartment we thought that it wouldn't be fair to the Husky to live in such a small space but now that we will have a larger area for both dogs to play in I think it would be great for them. I think Gnarley would love having another dog around the house. We recently dog sat for a friend and Gnarley and the other dog did nothing but play for the 2 days.
Where are you getting the husky from? I would introduce the two first to see how they behave together :) I have dogs of all sizes and it works fine for them, but as mentioned the size difference CAN make the smaller dog uncomfy during play. GL

·
Registered
862 Posts
I agree with the other posters.

Also want to add. having a back yard should not take away from proper structured daily excersise of walks/hiking/offleash pay at dog parks ect.
A husky can do amazing (and do well living in apartments) in a apartment, or could do horribly in a house with a yard. its all up to the owners.

·
Registered
148 Posts
How much have you researched Siberian Huskies? They have a high prey drive and are known for chasing down and killing animals like chickens and cats. I would never trust them with a small dog.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Huskies can also be great escape artists. My friend's husky has figured out how to climb their back fence. Something else to consider. Why not another beagle? They are pack dogs afterall.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I honestly can never recommend a husky for just a pet and feel good about it. They are high energy, high drive and will excape anything. Unless you plan on taking up running/biking everyday I dont recommend it.

Your beagle is a sedan, a husky is like a ferrari. They look and sound awesome, but really should be left to the pro drivers imo
Posted via Mobile Device

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
44 Posts
How much have you researched Siberian Huskies? They have a high prey drive and are known for chasing down and killing animals like chickens and cats. I would never trust them with a small dog.
If trained... they can exist peacefully with small animals. I have two cats and a dachshund mix and my Sibe respects the cats and is extremely gentle with my doxie.

I honestly can never recommend a husky for just a pet and feel good about it. They are high energy, high drive and will excape anything. Unless you plan on taking up running/biking everyday I dont recommend it.

Your beagle is a sedan, a husky is like a ferrari. They look and sound awesome, but really should be left to the pro drivers imo
Posted via Mobile Device
HAHA thats funny... ridiculous! but funny... my sibe has never even attempted to escape my yard. the key is to never leave them unattended...like a responsible Husky owner.

To the original post. Sibes are gentle, loving, social, and HIGH ENERGY. Do plenty of extensive research before getting one. Spend a day with one if you get a chance so you really get a sense of what you would be getting yourself into. They are very high maintenance and are like having a perpetual 2 year old rambunctious child in the house. They need at least 2-3 hours of vigorous play/running a day. MINIMUM. And they need a job to keep their minds active. Mental stimulation is key or they will destroy your house. Example: I left Kale alone in the kitchen with a baby gate for 15 mins when he was around 6-7 months old, when I got back he had chewed the corner off of my parents custom made cabinets. Not trying to scare you from the breed by ANY means... just laying down the facts. Not everyone is equipped to have a Sibe, and there are too many in shelters because people just thought that they were pretty but realized that they are way too much dog. If you do decide to make the plunge into husky ownership do let us know! Your life will NEVER be the same :D I wouldn't trade Kale for the world! He makes me smile when I think that nothing can cheer me up. GOOD LUCK!! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
If trained... they can exist peacefully with small animals. I have two cats and a dachshund mix and my Sibe respects the cats and is extremely gentle with my doxie.

Agreed. Most "prey drives", IMO and experience with my own dogs and even cats, are not beyond some training.

I would just never get a Husky because they're cry babies :D

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
HAHA thats funny... ridiculous! but funny... my sibe has never even attempted to escape my yard. the key is to never leave them unattended...like a responsible Husky owner.

hahah, yeah mocking me is hilarious, especially because your the one whos said som'thing ridiculous. ;) Talk to any, ANY husky breeder, or enthusiast that has kept many dogs over many years and they will tell you they can excape ANYTHING. So laugh all you want about it, but just because your ONE husky doesn't want to escape, and YOU don't leave it unsupervised does not suddenly make it a great pet for average joe blow who is NOT going to supervise it 24/7

these dogs are in the shelter CONSTANTLY, because they excape. The youtube search gave me 453 hits for this

they not only can jump fences, they can open gates, and climb chainlink.

this is the best one, and the original one I wanted. Anyone considering a husky should watch this.

Never has the world seen a more cunning and daring animal than the Siberian Husky. Don’t let their fun, easy-going nature fool you as they have been known to “plan” their escape from the house in order to satisfy their sense of adventure!
Your beloved Siberian Husky maybe “seem” to be quietly sleeping on the couch while in actual fact she’s waiting for the moment you open the front door in order to take the opportunity to slip outside.
Especially among inexperienced owners, it is all too common for an escaped Siberian Husky to put the owners through a game of “catch me if you can” while running around full speed throughout the neighbourhood.
Siberian Huskies have also been known to open door knobs, squeeze out of the tinniest holes, while breaking, climbing, digging or chewing in an effort to free themselves.

so once again, please don't tell people they don't escape simply because you ONE doesn't. Escaping is a well known phenomenon in the husky world. Som' of my Chihuahuas don't bark much, but I'm not going to tell people they are a quiet breed.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts