Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't about one of my dogs, but I thought it was too interesting not to share and hear thoughts on.

I teach high school, and one of my students has a few dogs (mostly pits and pit-mixes). She's shown me pictures of her dogs, and they look well cared for, all were inside, some curled up on the couch, etc. She loves her dogs.

Well, she told me the other day that one of her pitties (a female, I believe), does not like one of her uncles that visits a lot. They're not really sure why, but the dog just doesn't like him. So they were feeding her potato chips (I know, I know) one day. My student would feed the dog one, and she'd eat it. The uncle tried feeding her one and she took it, carried it a little distance away, dropped it, and PEED ON IT. They couldn't believe it, so they repeated the process. My student fed her one, she ate it. Uncle fed her one, she took it away, put it down, peed on it.

My student says they did this several times with the same result every time. They thought it was hilarious.

Any clue why the dog would do this, other than disliking the uncle?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I sure hope they were outside at the time! I'm sorry I don't have a clue why she'd do that… it's the strangest thing I've heard in a while.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
813 Posts
I believe your dog peeing on the chip from your uncle is a sign of stress. I wouldn't laugh. I would just get your uncle to completely ignore your dog. Let your dog approach your uncle, but your uncle should not look at the dog, speak to the dog or try to touch the dog.

Over time, your dog might actually sit or lay by your uncle and when that happens your uncle could offer him a chip again, but without looking, touching, speaking. If your dog accepts the chip and eats without peeing on it, another can be offered.

If the dog continues to show ease close to your uncle or even starts seeking out physical contact with him, then your uncle could gently stroke your dog once or twice. You want your dog wanting more, so don't overdo it.

Each time your uncle comes, he should behave calmly and quietly and let the dog approach him. Hopefully, one day your dog will accept your uncle and not be stressed by his presence.

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe your dog peeing on the chip from your uncle is a sign of stress. I wouldn't laugh. I would just get your uncle to completely ignore your dog. Let your dog approach your uncle, but your uncle should not look at the dog, speak to the dog or try to touch the dog.

Over time, your dog might actually sit or lay by your uncle and when that happens your uncle could offer him a chip again, but without looking, touching, speaking. If your dog accepts the chip and eats without peeing on it, another can be offered.

If the dog continues to show ease close to your uncle or even starts seeking out physical contact with him, then your uncle could gently stroke your dog once or twice. You want your dog wanting more, so don't overdo it.

Each time your uncle comes, he should behave calmly and quietly and let the dog approach him. Hopefully, one day your dog will accept your uncle and not be stressed by his presence.
To be clear, as I said in my original post, this isn't MY dog. It's a student of mine's dog. And I wasn't looking for advice, nor is the student. I was just curious about the behavior. I've never heard of/seen anything like it. I agree that it's some sort of reaction to the stress the dog feels from the uncle, I'd just never heard of a dog doing this before and wondered if those on this forum had.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Apologies for misinterpreting your post.

I have heard of dogs peeing on things such as their food bowls, and it was put down to extreme stress on the dog's part. Therefore really not funny, and although your student is no looking for advice, I think the dog should be helped. :mad:

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apologies for misinterpreting your post.

I have heard of dogs peeing on things such as their food bowls, and it was put down to extreme stress on the dog's part. Therefore really not funny, and although your student is no looking for advice, I think the dog should be helped. :mad:
I don't think the dog needs help. These aren't exactly dogforum types of dog owners, if you know what I mean. They love their dogs, but, to be honest, the people on this forum are not typical of most dog owners in the world.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts