Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So, I recently started working at a doggy daycare, and I absolutely freaking hate it. Which I find bizarre because I absolutely love dogs of all sizes and breeds. I have been working there for three weeks and have decided to tell the woman I'd prefer to just stick to training.

I was sitting around this morning feeling bad for giving up on it, but I seriously don't like it, so I was trying to think of the reasons why. I'm going to list the reasons I don't like it and maybe someone who works at a doggy daycare can tell me if this is normal at most daycares:

1.There are way too many dogs for the number of staff. Yesterday there were approximately 18 big dogs and 10 small dogs. From 3-6, I was responsible for both groups.
This is super intimidating for me, since I don't have any real "training" other than my limited knowledge of body language from my own dogs and observing at the dog park.
2. One group of dogs is left alone while you watch the other group.
Obviously, this one is one of the more distressing ones. If I go to watch the little ones, the big ones are unattended.
3. If a dog is being too over-zealous or snarky, a gentle-leader is put on them.
I'm not really sure if this does any good, other than they can't really bite. I worry about the other dogs grabbing it and pulling on it though.
4. The facilities are old.
Not really their fault, but it just makes everything more complicated.
6. Nothing for the dogs to interact or play with.
Which is fine, but then all the dogs do is wrestle, and there isn't really anything to distract them from each other.

The other thing I've noticed, is when I bring my two, they are starting into some bad habits, which I don't like at all.

Anyway, that is my rant on my doggy daycare, and I'd love to know from other people if this is normal or not. :)

Reactions: waski87

· Premium Member
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@jclark343 - I definitely would not leave my guys there, and I try to only take one so I can supervise more closely.

Reactions: jclark343

· Premium Member
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey @revolutionrocknroll

They do have crates, but ALL dogs are put in the crates 3x a day. Once for 30 minutes in the morning, two hours over lunch, and 30 minutes in the afternoon.

The leaders are left on as muzzles, all day long. They are mainly put on dogs that are getting overly nippy and stirring up trouble. All collars are removed from the dogs when they arrive, and we do use slip leads, but it's hard because the dogs get so excited when they see the leash. I would love to be able to work with them, but there is no space, and you can't just get one off by itself.

The layout is a problem. It is basically a big warehouse where everything is separated by wooden walls on wheels that you push to open and close the gate. The gates are "locked" with little latches. The only problem is that small dogs can fit under, big dogs/good climbers get over, and everyone chews on them. You also can't close or open them quickly because they are heavy/don't move well, so it's hard to prevent dogs from getting anywhere. I think instead of maintenance they need some serious upgrades.

I'm not too concerned about the toy thing, since I see so many toy-RG at the dog park that I can see the problems. I just feel bad for the dogs that are sitting off to the side desperately waiting for when their owners get there.

No training whatsoever. The only thing I'm going with is my basic knowledge of how to interact with dogs. Basically these are the techniques we are told to use:

If the dogs are getting into it, bang on the walls, bang the water-dishes together, or yell to get their attention. They also use spray bottles with water as aversives. There is generally 2 people on. One in the front office and one in the back with the dogs. Sometimes 3 if the owner comes in.

My current technique is just to whistle or clap and say "let's go for a walk" and then walk around the warehouse.

Reactions: waski87

· Premium Member
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Thisisme19 - Man, all these other daycares sound way more fun than this one. :(

I'm very fortunate that I don't have to work, my husband is definitely the breadwinner in this relationship, and he's encouraged me to pursue the dog trainer thing full-time.

There are a couple other daycares out there, so I might see if they're looking for any volunteers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.