Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Pablo - Liver Dalmatian
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Me & my wife have been thinking about getting our Pablo neutered for a while now, so I just thought I'd ask for peoples personal experiences with it.

Pablo is a very lively, boisterous, but generally friendly 14 month old Dalmatian. What we have found is that he tends to be fine with bitches and young male pups, or neutered males, but over the last couple of months has taken issue with other fully in tact males of a similar or older age. For this reason, we are currently not allowing him off lead, which is a shame, because he loves a good run around.

It's never gotten to the point of full on aggression, or a fight, but the hackles on his back are straight up accompanied by plenty of growling and the occasional snap for good measure. Is getting him neutered likely to remove this behaviour? I've been told by some people that neutering can actually make this worse? Does anyone have any experience of this?

Another question I have is related to age - I've heard so many things about this, from 9 months to 2 years being the "right" time to do it... So again, just asking for peoples personal experiences with this. I appreciate there is no definitive correct answer for this.

Look forward to reading your replies! (Added a pic of the handsome brute, because why not?) :)
Griff & Pablo.

Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Natural landscape

·
Registered
920 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forum.
I live in the USA where neutering and spaying are very common. I am aware that things differ in other locales.
I have always neutered and spayed my own dogs through the years and have never had a problem. (5 males and 3 females). The male operation is much easier on dogs and they usually get back to themselves in a few days. It is imperative that they not be able to lick the incision. A cone, or surgical suit is highly recommended until they heal, as is keeping them reasonably quiet.

I suggest speaking with your vet, and waiting until the dog's growth platlettes have closed, especially with a large breed dog. My own experience was that I waited for that and tried to get them just as they began to lift their leg to pee. I am not a vet and tried to balance what I learned with my et's advice. In my stste they recommend neutering at much to early age (like 4 months!) and I waited until they were at least 8 months old. Many large breed dogs are still growing so I would use the growth over a time to make your decision.

Some male dogs quiet down after testosterone production stops, but some do not. I also considered the elimination of possible prostate cancer in my decisions, but am not sure if current "knowledge is the same in that regard.
In any event, your vet would be the best source of information. Good luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My dog was neutered at about 7 months, he's now just under 4 years old. He definitely dislikes intact males too, especially bigger sizes (he's big himself), and is fine with females, neutered males and small dogs, albeit he dislikes big groups. I noticed his dislike of intact males after neutering, but he was still pretty young when it happened, so I can't say for sure they're connected.

On a side note, I have heard that it's not uncommon for neutered male dogs to dislike intact peers, but mostly anecdotally - I've never actually looked at any research.

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts
Can I make a suggestion that you look at Suprelorin? It is a slow release implant that mimics the effect of neutering over several months. Then, you would see what the effect of neutering would be, before making any irreversible decisions.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
At 14 months your dog is probably old enough to be neutered safely. Ask your vet for their opinion. Neutering is an important thing to do in any case, because unless you have a breed-worthy dog that you are going to use in a breeding program your dog should be neutered or spayed. An unneutered dog can get loos and go impregnate a female, contributing to the overpopulation of unwanted dogs and puppies. Or, he can get into a fight with other intact males who want the same bitch. And, if an intact female comes into heat in the neighborhood, he may be very difficult to handle.

So, bottom line: my opinion is get him neutered. It will not ruin his temperament in any way. but it may calm him down just a bit, because his over activity and frantic kinds of behavior may be caused hormonally. Remove all that raging hormone activity and he may be easier to handle.

One more note:
I love to let my dogs off leash as well and I think it's really good for dogs to be able to do that. However, I never let them off leash unless all of these conditions are met:

The dogs have absolutely reliable fast recall, even when distracted
There are no other people and dogs around who might engage with my dog in a bad way, or who might be frightened if my dogs approached them off leash
There is no way for my dogs to get to a dangerous place; ie: I will let them off leash in a park that is enclosed, but not one that is open to a road on one side.
It is a familiar place that I know well, and know there are no dangerous plants or things my dogs could get into
I am watching them closely at all times, ready to recall them when needed.

If this sounds over protective, just be aware that all of these conditions are in place because I know of or have experienced the seriously bad results that can come form not taking all these things into consideration.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Just saying our pup Ozzy was neutered at 7.5 months (small breed) and he was already lifting his leg. We didn't notice any issues at all. Now most dogs in my locality are neutered, but he has no issue with other dogs. In fact I'd be nervous other neutered dogs would be rude to him if he wasn't neutered after he lost his puppy pass, but that's because it's a very common thing to do here.

We got all our dogs desexed and all my friend's dogs and any dog I ever knew. We never had any issues.

Having said that, it's more neutered dogs that have issues with unneutered dogs, so not sure it would help your dalmation any to get it done (especially if it isn't common in your area).

Btw, I don't think Ozzy calmed down much after neutering, but he was already a pretty good boy, very active but good.

I think if he were my dog, I'd look into Joanne's suprelorin suggestion.

·
Registered
Pablo - Liver Dalmatian
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can I make a suggestion that you look at Suprelorin? It is a slow release implant that mimics the effect of neutering over several months. Then, you would see what the effect of neutering would be, before making any irreversible decisions.
I think we are going to look at this - thank you :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts