Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, I don't know why so much has been happening with the dogs lately. I had to take Stella to the ER tonight because out of nowhere her muzzle just started swelling until her right lip was double its normal size and there was a swollen "bubble" on top of her snout. I figured she must've been stung by a bee or other insect. I gave her a benedryl but it just kept getting worse so I took her to the emergency room. (They charge nearly $150 for the visit ALONE!) They gave her a shot of steroids, kept us there for 15 mins to see her reaction then sent us home.

Yesterday my mom messaged me in a panic saying Stella was limping. I came home and she wasn't using her back left leg at all, totally holding it up and not putting any pressure on it. I was all worried and gave her a tramadol and then took her to the vet. I prob shouldn't have given her a tramadol because after that she used her leg fine and acted like there was nothing wrong. X-rays and a lyme test was done and she's fine.

On Thursday the spot where Tyrion's neuter incision was done had these two big blood blisters so we'd had to take him in. Luckily the doctor said it was just a bad reaction to the stitches and they'll pop and go away on their own. They did. They must be starting to think we're hypochondriacs.

And 9 days ago Stella had to have a minor surgery to remove a cyst under her armpit that kept growing. (If you read my post a month or so ago about the "harness chafing" it was actually a cyst that kept getting bigger and bleeding from being nicked all the time). That surgery went well but she still has stitches, and she'd been to the vet the day before that to have it checked when we decided to get it removed.

Other than that since we got Tyrion 3 weeks ago we've had to take him on a few visits and deal with his medicine for a parasite, infections, and his diabetes insipidus eye drops he'll have to be on forever.

We must've spent about $700 in vet bills in the past 3 weeks alone. Thank god at least we'll get some money back from insurance for Stella's surgery and our regular vets are so good they sometimes don't even charge for visits, just medicine. But ugh, I really hope we can go this next week (or several!) without going to the vet.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Ugh, when it rains it pours :(

How's Stella doing now? Do you know what caused the reaction?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stella honestly didn't seem too fussed about it all from beginning to end. Not at much as you'd think at least. We came home and she ate dinner and proceeded to wrestle and play with Tyrion for a long time and definitely wanted to be active. They didn't find a stinger in her face so I don't know I that means it wasn't a bee. Otherwise they're not sure what did it. I suggested a snake too but I don't know if a non-poisonous one like we have around here would cause that sort of reaction. So I dunno. But at least she's ok.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
It might have been some type of wasp, they don't leave behind stingers but cause major pain, swelling, and can cause an allergic reaction.

You're making me feel better about Zody's vet trips last month and the fact that the past few days I've been watching him acting like his butt is bothering him and thinking "Please, not another trip to the vet for either anal glands round 8 or colitis round 2."

Reactions: traciek88

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Wow, you have had quite a rough time lately! I though we were doing bad by taking Tyson in for an ear infection and then two weeks later both of them for vomiting blood. We still have one planned visit later this month, too.

The swelling could have been from a spider bite. Same thing happened to Katie less than a week after we brought her home. My husband took her out for a final potty trip, they came in and her face was swelling. E-vet visit, antihistamine and steroid shots, and she was fine before we got home.

Hope things settle down quickly.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I agree with Rain that it may possibly have been a wasp or, God forbid, a hornet, but I think you would probably have heard your dog cry out, if that was the case...?

Anyway, I noticed you mentioned that you gave "a" benedryl, which means you give it in pill form? I was advised by my vet to pick up a bottle of the children's liquid benedryl for future incidents with Tiger, who likes to BITE at insects that fly around him. :eyeroll: Ugh. We've been lucky so far this warm season, anyway, but the liquid is supposed to get into their system faster, I was told. This may not have helped in your case, but it may for future incidents, as it did with us!

Also, I definitely feel your pain with the seemingly non-stop vet visits. When we had the ongoing skin infection with my youngest, Spicey, in the winter of '13-'14 I was in tears after the first month, and it went on for THREE MORE before it finally petered out. I know I spent well over $1K. It was awful. Now she's my "money pit". :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts