Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shelters, why are so many people surrendering black dogs? Also when you ask the shelters why they were surrendered, they are not permitted to tell you why.

Really, what the heck is wrong with having a black dog? They are shunned.:mad:

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've never understood this. My dog was a rescue and is black and white, but when we got him, quite a few black labs and other all black dogs were there.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Where have you seen this? I always thought that they didn't get adopted as quickly, not that people surrended them more frequently. Considering they got the dog knowing it was that color. When it comes to the adoption aspect they can look intimidating to some if they are larger breeds or just less welcoming and harder to really see easier to over look. Also heard they don't photo as well and many places list adoptable dogs online.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I did not notice a large number of black dogs when I looked at shelters, but lots of pitbulls and chihuahuas. I thought black labs were popular.

I have a black poodle mix. It is really hard to get a good photo. His eyes blend in with his fur. He is cute, but not photogenic.

like SpicyBulldog said they may seem intimidating, but I also think it is hard to advertise if you can't get a good pic.

I know people don't adopt black cats because of superstition. I don't think there is anything associated with black dogs.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I love black dogs! And black cats, and black horses lol. I specifically looked for a black dog when I adopted my dog and he was one of very few around. He looked more brownish black/sable/seal but was listed as black and DNA testing says he genetically is black.
There's tons of black dogs in the dog park daily. I specifically want to adopt a black kitten or young cat if I ever get a better job and get in a better financial situation since I think my two cats are happier with three and would be happy with a female and I miss having a female cat, and really miss my black cats who've all died.

I've heard that color can impact temperament and that black cats can be more friendly and laid-back. Certain breeds of horses like Trakehners were actually bred for color and temperament and black Trakehners were known to be solid, honest, hard working and safe.

I don't know if black dogs of any breed were ever bred for certain temperament?
But I love them and if I ever got a second one would get a black dog in a second!!!

Two of my best friends are black, a female black gsd and a black lab/pit mix.

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
Personally, I tend to believe percentage of black dogs in shelters is due to black being such a common color for dogs. Not so much people surrendering due to color.

The dogs in/through the shelter and rescues here seem to be pretty representitive of the local dog population both in colors and in breeds/mixes.

Also, I've not come across a group saying they aren't permitted to give the reason a dog was surrendered. The shelter here often provides the reason (use short phrases like: "not enough time," "owner moving," "allergies," "owner death" etc.) right on kennel cards/profiles. They may not be able to provide much more information however as information is provided by the past owner at time of surrender. It's not unusual for people to be... less than honest and def not very detailed about their situations.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
669 Posts
I would agree that the likelihood is the number of black dogs is indicative of the fact that black is a very commonly expressed gene- it is a dominant gene for one, and is present in quite a lot of breeds. I do also agree that for shelters not pulling dogs from overseas or bringing dogs in from other areas, the surrendered dog population is pretty reflective of the breeds/types common in the area.

In the area I am in (norther CA), I actually don't see an extraordinary number of black dogs in shelters, and certainly don't see more owner surrendered black dogs than other colors.

Most shelters I've interacted with are very open with reasons for owner surrenders, and if its not listed on the kennel card they will usually disclose if asked. The majority of surrenders around me tend to be because the owner is moving and can't find housing, or the owner doesn't have the time for the dog. My understanding is those tend to be pretty prevalent reasons for most shelters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts