Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope....lol.

I have dogs and have all the things things they mentioned that you can't have if you have a dog. : )

17 Things You Can't Have at Home If You Own a Dog

Oh, about the sheets. While I never really encouraged it, I've always allowed dogs on my bed, (and sofa) but never under my sheets , nor on them, like up near my head. They had to sleep at the foot of the bed, usually on an older blanket I draped across the foot of the bed there for that purpose. In the summer, it was usually to hot to do that, and the dogs preferred to go outside and sleep anyways.

My current dogs, Jaya and HaHa, are not destructive at all. They stay out of the trash, they don't pull stuff off of the end tables - I've even left like a paper plate that had sloppy joe stuff on it once, when I got a call to go help someone - came back home and it was still sitting there. HaHa is very easy on his stuffed animals, he shakes them sometimes while playing but mostly just packs them from room to room and never just lays down and shreds them like I've seen some dogs do to their toys.

Stormy

·
Registered
279 Posts
We have all those things too! Jasmine will occasionally pull something out of a trashcan to tear up when she thinks we are not looking, So we put them up on chairs when we are out... for some reason even though she could quite easily get to a trashcan on a chair she doesn't. She does not touch anything else that she is not allowed to.
She doesn't go on beds, or any furniture apart from one sofa which we allow her to. Our blinds have dangerous cords that we wind up anyway because of our kids.
My dog is scared of kitchen counter-tops... due to misadventure in her youth and I have not counter-conditioned that one! we can leave chicken and steak up there and she will not touch it.
She is no longer usable as an incentive to my kids to keep their rooms tidy, as she does not touch any of their toys, the only thing she will touch is a ball, so they have to keep those out of the way.

Personally I think that article is someone looking to fill space, because I bet everyone who has a dog with any modicum of training has at least some of those items.

·
Registered
406 Posts
We have everything on the list, too- had rules and stuck to them. Until my husband started working out of state, Caleb wasn't allowed on the bed. I started inviting him up every once in awhile, and never had a problem with him getting on any other time. Same with furniture- the rule was he had to be invited, and he had to be on a lap. Yes- an almost 70 pound Lab would curl up on my lap on the couch.

Honestly, it comes down to training and sticking to the rules.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I tell people that choosing to have a dog is choosing to have cheap rugs and couches. I won't pay more than $50 for a rug because I know who's going to be getting sick on it. I'd much rather not be upset about the rug when that happens.

As for the couch, I get a cheap couch from IKEA every 18-24 months and that allows me to enjoy having the dog on the couch instead of fretting over damage to the couch.

ymmv.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
What does this mean?

------

I agree about the furniture. Honestly, the kids make the furniture more messy than the dog haha. It's Aspen's house too and she is allowed in any room, on any piece of furniture... Well, except the kitchen table although I did catch her sitting on it once like she was the centerpiece :rolleyes:

·
Registered
906 Posts
@Aspen726 ymmv - Your Mileage May Vary

I have all that stuff too. I'm kind of a neat freak, but neither of the dogs nor my BF are - I'm definitely outnumbered and some days feel quite overwhelmed.

Oh well. I may not have 'tidy', but I have love! :)

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
It´s so nice to be living with a non shedding toy dog (yorkshire terrier) after a lifetime of labs, GSD and lab mix. The practical bits like hairs on the sofa, destruction ect is so much easier and you have just as much of a dog (although in a smaller package).

The other dogs were usually allowed on all furniture except the beds although we snuck a cuddle there occasionally. The cats slept wherever they pleased, as cats do, usually in my bed, under the cover, spooning... our cats were strange.

Honestly I don´t know whether I will go back to shedding breeds. It´s not essential to me. I would rather have a dog that has a good temperament and needs that suit my lifestyle but sheds than a dog who doesn´t fit me but doesnt shed.

We got the yorkie because of allergies, which are not triggered by non shedding breeds.

Im so enarmoured with the poodles, the bichon family and now the terriers I don´t think I really need deal with shedding again. It would be easier as well if I need pet sitting or move home for whatever reason that my dog won´t trigger my mum´s husbands allergies.

However If im rescuing it wont be a deal breaker and I am still fascinated by the papillon and min pin.

being around a toy dog this much after being raise with large ones has opened my eyes to how easy dog ownership can be. Yes you still need to walk it, many toy breeds like the min pin are very energetic, training is the same, you need to find petsitter if you need to leave ect. However the destruction isnt the same during the puppy stage, if they get sick its not as hard to clean up. They are easier to transport. Easier to find housing. If you want something out of their reach you just put it on the counter. They don´t ruin floors, sofas ect by simply existing. They are very convenient and fun.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Yeah, I have most of that stuff :)

Of course, now I'm in the process of picking out a new comforter and I have to stay away from anything white or too light colored because Chisum's black hairs will be all over it in no time. But, it's probably for the best - how long before I ended up spilling something on it anyway :)

I actually have a really awesome couch that I bought when I was living in the dorms, and will take with me again when I leave. It's a darker color so it doesn't show stains (but still very attractive) and is this really awesome, thick, hard-to-destroy fabric, while still being incredibly comfortable. Seriously. I'm in love with this thing :)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I have all the stuff too, I even have white sheets. White sheet and a black lab that sleeps on them. Yup, I love laundry lol. I figured I'd buy the quality sheets, white is my fave, and then I can see when they're dirty and bleach them - works!

We've never had an issue, thank dog, with Tessa and our furniture. She's never had any desire to DESTROY. Can't say the same for our drywall. We have the same leather couch that we had when Jazzy was around (it's probably 11 years old now), we have a nice low pile rug because things get lost in shag, and the only issue I've had with laundry is her need to steal the socks and hoard them under my bed.

Although we did have to remove the coffee table from the living room, She's too big to zoom around the house without knocking into it so it got removed to the basement. Didn't need it anyway lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts