Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
Delilah- Jack Russell x Rat Terrier; Marshmellow- Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
2,841 Posts
Luckily no puppies and kittens in pet stores in my area unless the store helps rescues out with their cats. There seems to be a lot of successful education and lobbying going on in that regard across the country.

I'm still disgusted to see any live animal bring sold at a store these days. Even fish- they can still feel pain even if they're not the most intelligent animals and they experience a lot of it- dirty water burns them. Water becomes basic before it looks dirty.
My local Petco just started selling baby rabbits. As a rabbit owner I'm really sad that these are probably coming from bad breeders and will probably end up with an ignorant family that will keep them in a cage their whole lives feeding them pellets. :(

· Registered
2,841 Posts
@revolutionrocknroll Perhaps the only thing that didn't make me angry when I wrked at a Petsmart in high school was that we had a HUGE filtration system behind all the tanks that was constantly running and replacing old water with new water, almost like a mechanical drip filtration system. I still didn't enjoy my job though.
If I ever got into fish again (and was rich) it would be cool to have a system like that.
At pet stores I definitely feel more bad for the half dead bettas in those tiny cups than I do for the fish in the tanks.

· Registered
2,841 Posts
I honestly don't understand why people buy dogs from pet stores when they see the conditions in which they are held.

Any person who thinks storing a puppy in a glas box all day long is acceptable obviously shouldn't become a dog owner in the first place!
Some people think they're "saving" the puppies. I had a friend on facebook who posted a picture of puppies in pet store glass cage last winter writing "I hope people rescue these babies so they have homes in time for Christmas!"

· Registered
2,841 Posts
This is certainly a controversial position to be in, it's not those puppies' fault, and they deserve a home just as much as any other puppy does regardless of her origin, but you also don't want to encourage puppy mills to keep doing what they do. They're toying with lives and that's unnacceptable, the puppies don't deserve to be condemned because of that, but the organization behind it does.

We shouldn't focus our energy on cheap sensationalism, but rather on finding a way to stop this from happening in the first place.
If someone wants to rescue a dog then I don't see why someone wouldn't get a real rescue or shelter dog then, and then you're financially supporting organizations that actually help animals. I think some people just use it as an excuse to get a cute puppy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.