Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so first of all I took Aayla to the vet for this very thing when she was 5-6 months old (my memory is terrible... I can look through paperwork to find days) he gave me drops and said if nothing changed than maybe her eyes were just like this and not to worry.

Well I still worry, I was wondering if I'm being an over-concerned dog mom or if I should seek another vet to talk to.

Aayla's third eyelid on both eyes is always exposed. More so than I have seen in healthy dogs eyes. You can always see them, even after she has been awake and active for hours. They are often red and it makes her eyes look bloodshot though it is not her scalera that is red. Sometimes it looks close to almost getting to her pupil, and I worry about her vision being distorted though I have never noticed vision problems. She gets a lot of eye goops, in the morning I am always clearing out rather large goops from the corner of her eyes. Even throughout the day I am removing smaller goops from her eyes. She does not itch at her eyes and I do not notice any squinting or watering. With the eye drops there were less eye goops and the redness seemed to lighten up but her third eyelid never retreated.

Aayla is an 11 month old Australian Shepherd. Otherwise she seems very healthy, she is very active, normal stool, temp is fine, and skin overall looks great. I'll include a picture in a second. Her eyes have looked like this since she was 10 weeks old. I didn't really notice when I got her at 8 weeks, I noticed around 10 weeks.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the photo, the reason why I made the post today is that they seemed a bit more noticeable than before.

Attachments

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well my main concern this morning was that I thought her face was a little swollen, but my BF said he thought I was just be worried and she looked fine, so I thought maybe it was just her third eyelid thing that was bothering me. Now tonight her left eye and cheek are swollen so I wasn't crazy. I'm going to call and see if I can get a vet check tomorrow morning before my shift. I wonder if she got stung or something, or if this is an injury.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
Poor baby! Levi's are not at all visible (except for when he just wakes up, and looks like a monster). I hope you get some answers about the swelling! :(

·
Super Moderator
9,234 Posts
Once you mentioned the swelling I did notice that she looks a little swollen in the cheek area in that picture. It does seem odd that they don't retreat. The only time I have ever had a 3rd eyelid problem was when Roxie got bit by something on her 3rd eyelid and had to have drops in her eyes daily. Maybe trying the drops again might help?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She always has had them visible, mornings are always more so than any other time but still its a little abnormal.

She has an appointment in an hour. She looks a bit more puffy this morning. I'm hoping that they can answer questions about her eyelids as well as the swelling. Now that I think about it I think it may be an ear infection? She has been shaking her head the past few days and did get some water in her ear when I bathed her on Saturday. (Shook her head at the wrong time, normally I hold it closed but she shook while I was spraying her head)

I think eyedrops might be a thing for her to help. They did help a bit last time, it was the best her eyes looked. Yet they never completely receded like most dogs.
@jclark343 Yeah if you look at her left side you can notice the selling on the top of her head, around her eye and cheek.

I'll update you guys when we get back.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I can usually see Sawyers but very minimally in the corner of his eye but deffinitly not as much as hers. Though I think he has a slight sensitivity to certain dogs fur/saliva since the only two times ive had issues with his third eyelid was after he played with a dog and the second time he ended up with conjunctivitis.
The first thing that popped into my head was maybe she has a mild allergy.
Hopefully the vet will be able to figure it out. Hopefully her appointment went well.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You were spot on! So the doctor said that it looks like congunctivitis with a possible allergic reaction for the swelling. Maybe got bit or stung that lowered her immune defense and she got an eye infection. So we have an ointment and Benedryl.

He also said it's rare, but the third eyelid exposure can happen without a problem. Says some dogs just have that. As long as it doesn't start to cover more of her eye or get swollen itself she should be fine.

Also booked her spay for October after her two dock diving events.

·
Registered
84 Posts
How old is Aayla?

Could it be plasmoma? Consider taking her to a vet ophthalmologist, they have equipment that can examine the eyes much better than a general vet can.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
That's great, I'm glad it wasn't anything serious. Though having conjunctivitis in both eyes sucks. Hopefully her nictitating membrane (third eyelid) and the swelling will go down with the ointment and Benedryl. How is she with letting you put the ointment in?

Side note, good luck with the dock diving events :) Are they her first ones?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@San She is 11 months old. I looked it up but it does not look like the cases I saw, and I didn't see anything about it being found in Australian Shepherds.
@Sabina88 She actually is great about the ointment. Just holds still and let me do it. Now the benedryl on the other hand. She refused to take it in peanut butter so I tried the method of putting it in the back of her mouth. Well her reaction to having my fingers that far back was to chomp down hard on my hand. I have a few puncture marks on my hand now. I could tell it was a involuntary response, when I gasped in pain she seemed like she was surprised herself and offered up appeasing behaviors. So we are working on having my hands in her mouth without her clamping down. x_x

These would be her second and third events! We did her first one last month and she LOVED it. She did great too, her record right now is 14'11". Which is a lot farther than I expected! She jumps farther than her dad! She swims better than him too. Haha. It was funny telling people there that Dunkin's 11 month old daughter was beating him.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I'm jeleouse, Sawyer absolutely hated having the ointment put in his eye. I had to get the eye drops instead so I could get the medicine in his eye faster and from more of a distance. Lets just say eyedrops were not a fun event for either of us.

Have you tried wrapping the benedryl in sandwich meat, or slide it in a cube of cheese or meat (they also make pill pockets)? If you use just enough meat to wrap around the pill and keep in small, she might be more likely to just swallow it rather then chew. That way to you don't have to stick your hand so far down into her mouth.

That's awesome, go Aayla :) Are you going to do this just for fun with her or get more into the competition side of it? I would love to dock diving with one of my guys, but neither of them are fans of water sigh lol.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm jeleouse, Sawyer absolutely hated having the ointment put in his eye. I had to get the eye drops instead so I could get the medicine in his eye faster and from more of a distance. Lets just say eyedrops were not a fun event for either of us.

Have you tried wrapping the benedryl in sandwich meat, or slide it in a cube of cheese or meat (they also make pill pockets)? If you use just enough meat to wrap around the pill and keep in small, she might be more likely to just swallow it rather then chew. That way to you don't have to stick your hand so far down into her mouth.

That's awesome, go Aayla :) Are you going to do this just for fun with her or get more into the competition side of it? I would love to dock diving with one of my guys, but neither of them are fans of water sigh lol.
I did a lot of handling training with her as a little puppy. I was also a dog groomer so she is used to being poked and prodded. She will take the blow dryer or water straight to the face without avoiding it. Plus she thinks almost all handling exercises are a game. (She knows she gets a reward for holding still). She is actually excited when I pull out her medicine. (weirdo)

She is a really careful chewer. So she found it in the meat, she gets the runs with cheese and she doesn't really like treats so she probably would pick away at the pill pocket and not eat it. So we are left shoving it down her throat. Day two and she is much much better with it. No chomping down after a few warm up 'open your mouth and let me touch your tongue' exercises lol. Last night I was able to hide it in her ground raw mixture though.

The thing about dock diving is that there isn't tons to it. You can try and increase height and a bit of your technique but in the end the dog is only going to jump as far as it is going to jump. I'm a very competitive person, and I want to do competitive sports with her. Yet this is one of those things that is just fun. Plus I don't think she will ever get in the national level and be hitting the high 20s. I like the no pressure, just letting the dogs do what they can do. As long as Aayla loves it we will continue to do it. We will see how far she goes!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts