Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i noticed this afternoon that one of my dogs after waking up had her third eyelids completely covering both eyes, at first you could see a little bit of the pupils at the top but now you have to pull her upper eyelid way back just to barely see the edge of a pupil.. it looks like "cherry eye" but has anyone ever seen cherry eye cover that much of both eyes?... she's going to the vet tomorrow, the earliest i could get her in but im worried she may go permanently blind

she is a basset hound so seeing her third eyelid is not uncommon with the droopy skin on her face but right now she cant see anything

·
Registered
900 Posts
Do they look inflamed and much more red than usual? What is your dogs demeanor when you pull back the eyelids?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ive touched the eye and she generally didnt seem to care, also before my brother left to take her to the vet you could see half here eyeball exposed as it would appear the third eyelid is beginning to retract but slowly.. and she's had this happen before but it basicaly went away right away so im hoping this can be fixed without surgery.. but to be in the safe side she still went to the vet and while he's there he will get a couple other things checked out

what else ive noticed is she has a slightly more puffy right cheek, when touching it i could feel the bone and jaw underneath same as on the right so it seemed to be a little swelling, but caused by what?.. and though she eats like a pig she hasnt gained much weight after her surgery like her sister did after getting her apetite back, so maybe have her checked out for some kind of parasite while she's there.. i made sure of course to bag the crap she took right before they left because id imagine the vet would need it to check for parasites

her sister has no eye problems, no skin problems, no swelling and is normal weight, so no problems with her... odd how two dogs from the same litter that one can have all these problems while the other has none.. well, except for the pyometra back in january

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well just got the news from the vet, they said it was really dry eyes causing her third eyelid to stick.. i guess the dog has the same problem i do so she's going to get eye drops and they will check for parasites.. no surgery

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
now im even more confused.. i tried opening her mouth to give her the pill she's supposed to take and she yelped, like VERY loud yelp, it was painful and she does have puffyness in her right cheek but the vet said her teeth and gums looked normal..

when giving her the eye drops she didnt do much bit sit there, but she's never yelped like that when taking a pill, in fact she seems to enjoy the attention when she gets a pill and she's used to taking them, she had to take a lot of them when she had pyometra surgery so the vets story that she probably just did it because she didnt want to take a pill doesnt add up.. i know my dog better than they do

but when i gave her a little food, she ate it.. she may have chewed with just one side of her mouth or not, i wasnt looking that closely but she did chew it up and ate it

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
her eyes looked mostly normal today so the drops and the pill have been working it seems.. she still wont let anyone open her mouth which is odd, seems to flinch when someone grabs her by the snouth though she seems to feel no pain at all... also, she eats a lot, but craps 4-5 big piles at once while gaining almost no weight.. shes still 10-15 pounds under

·
Registered
900 Posts
She could have in infection from an abscessed tooth or an injury. Mouth infections can cause issues with the eyes (and basically all other organ systems). Best to get it checked.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yeah, you might want to see another vet to have them check for any sort of infection, because the yelping and swelling indicate something's going on there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, i opened her mouth today and she didnt yelp, i was able to give her her pill directly without issue so what may have been wrong with her mouth seems to be fixed now... its possible she just cut her tongue on a bone or something

and now her eyes look pretty much normal from the eye drops as well.. she still has regular allergies that seem to be difficult to pinpoint, possibly food related or from grass, but i will probably start giving her an allergy med soon to help with that but for now she seems "normal" as far as normal for her goes

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am dealing with this right now! Mesa, an Alaskan Malamute, third eyelid is completely covering her eye. She was diagnosed 5 days ago with a scratched cornea. I could see her beautiful brown eyes on Wed., two days later. On Thursday, she was worse with swelling. We were back at the vet on Friday. Her eye was really swollen, and she felt miserable. I could see what looked like a cherry eye, but the placement was wrong. I was given stronger antibiotics and eyedrops instead of ointment. On the way home, when I could see, this "cherry eye" thing busted. She immediately perked up. It was almost instantaneous, but the blood running our of her eye horrified me. I called the vet. He things whatever this was was putting pressure on her eye. I am still getting some drainage, but she has definitely perked up, but still a third eyelid showing. Re-eval on Monday. How long did it take for the third eyelid to disappear? The vet is really unsure of what is going on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts