Dog Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,561 Posts
Hi 4Horses,

Kwenami mentioned me (waving to Kwenami!) so I thought I'd jump in.

I'm one of those here who has rehomed a dog. Back in November, I adopted a two-year-old rescue dog that was just too much for me, as a new, inexperienced dog owner. He needed a great deal of daily training and exercise, and after much effort and thought, I decided it would be better to find him a more appropriate home. He was a beautiful dog, but I never felt that we had really bonded either. With the help of a rescue group, I was able to place him in a private no-kill shelter. He was very quickly adopted by a young, active couple who had previously owned dogs. It really was the best decision for all involved, including, I'm sure, Maru, our dog.

I continued to stay active here on the Forum and realized that my son and I would be much better off with an older, smaller companion dog. I adopted a four-year-old Longhaired Dachshund mix (Jesse) a month ago, and then, two weeks ago, returned to the shelter to bring home a second dog, an eight-year-old Pekingese (Miles). Both dogs are just right for us. They are truly companion dogs in every sense of the word, and because they are older dogs who clearly had been pets before, they already came with great manners. And, older dogs tend to rest a lot and require a lot less daily exercise.

After reading all of your posts, it seems to me that this puppy might be better off in another home, and if you decide to rehome her, I wouldn't wait. And, if you decide to eventually adopt another dog, you and your family need to completely rethink what kind of dog would best suit your household. I'd also suggest that you continue to be an active member and learn as much as you can so that the next dog you bring home will indeed be your forever dog.

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
This is very difficult for the puppy....AND for your mom/you also. I like that there were 5 other applications...maybe it might be better for the puppy to go to a family that has the wherewithal to manage/train the pup...A vizsla I dog sat last summer was extremely highly energetic (non stop 10 hours a day unless I crated her) and bit everyone and every thing in sight...I loved her tons as she was SO smart...and she was very attached to me too. It takes a lot of time to train, hours and hours a day...the vizsla finally went to live with a trainer for 3 weeks at the cost of 3,000 as her owner couldn't manage the reactivity, fear and resource guarding biting of people. If your family is feeling as if it is not a good match...at least there is a good possibility that someone can take her and do well with her. I would hate for this pup to run herself into the ground racing your 3 acres every day...they need a routine and structure and it sounds as if this is contributing to the problem. Puppies need down time in a safe place...and the biting could be the pup telling you/mom she needs that! I know I am playing a "devils advocate", but am worried your mom may not be able to handle what this pup needs. Shih tzus are small, and an adult one from a rescue might be a possibility. And I will add that maybe you should wait and think about this for months before adopting again, maybe foster a dog first!

·
Super Moderator
3,561 Posts
My mom and I have discussed it, and we feel the problem is she is running too much and getting over-stimulated. I don't think she is getting enough sleep either.

We are trying to limit her exercise and not let her get into these hyper-moods.
I think you're right about this. I ran into the same problem with Maru, my first dog. He was young and active, so I tried to give him as much exercise as I could - morning walks, afternoon trips to the dog park, and evening walks. On the evening walks, he would sometimes start nipping me. After some trial-and-error, I realized that the nipping began if those walks were too long. He was getting over-stimulated and over-tired - the equivalent of a toddler temper tantrum. I worked on finding a route that was just right in terms of length.

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
She could be running herself into the ground, pups need a lot of sleep. I would read all the stickies and utubes/videos on how to stop a puppy from biting and stick with what they suggest. She has that behavior in her repertoire now (unless it is just puppy behavior). Best wishes and good fortune.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I don't think you're wrong to consider giving up this pup to somebody who is looking for a high energy handful.....sounds like he's wrong for you, and vice versa.

I would say, though, not to go back to the same shelter for another dog. If you were honest about your circumstances, and what sort of dog you thought you could handle, then it doesn't sound as if they do a very good job of matching up prospective owners and dogs.

Bite the bullet, make a decision now.

Don't keep this pup for 6 months or whatever and then decide you can't cope....this will give him far less chance of successfully settling into a more suitable home. There's no shame in doing what is best for him now.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Josefina about 20 in tall and weighs about 30 lbs and can be VERY strong when her prey drive is ignited (like if a bird or rabbit or whatever springs out of the brush on a walk or something) so I feel your pain.

That being said, your puppy is entering the teenage stages, as hard as it may be to believe now, this will likely NOT be the dog you end up with. Izze, my late dog was HORRIBLE as a puppy and I mean like devil reincarnated. Josefina wasn't much better, other ehan being easy to house train, she was bad. she wouldn't come, and had to be kept on a leash when not in a fenced area at all times and in a secure pen when she couldn't be watched because she would wonder off as soon as she thought I wasn't looking :/. she was terrible with other dogs and seemed to enjoy aggravating them.

Now she is a very good dog, she still needs to be on leash when not in a fenced area, but when she is she has stopped her wondering and will always come back when called, the only problem is she is so quick when she sees something that she will disappear and get lost, so she is kept on lead when out. but her relationships with other dogs have gotten much better and she is much calmer now that she is coming 5 years old.

this time will pass, just be consistent with your training (I know it makes you want to pull your hair out when they "forget" commands LOL) it will pass, your feelings aren't unique, I promise :)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts