Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Super Moderator
I'm not keen on this sort of thing. It masks dogs' natural body language and makes it harder for them to interpret each other's signals.

Super Moderator
To say I'm not a fan of this sort of thing is an understatement. It's one thing to have a holiday-themed coat, jumper or fleece that is functional and serves a purpose. For example, Honey has This Halloween jumper (luckily I didn't pay anywhere near that price as she refused point blank to wear it and prefers to use me as a hot water bottle instead :rolleyes: 馃榿 ) but something like that Chucky costume . . . I think it says a lot about the owner. None of it positive.

Registered
I don't like any of these kinds of things I don't mind the odd fancy bandana or funny collar when it's their birthday or Christmas but just put it on take the photograph and take it off.... I'm not one for dressing up dogs.

Registered
I don't get why there's an issue with a costume. Not like the dog is wearing it all day long. I feel it's fine to get a silly pic then take it off. Even the Chucky custume. But I guess only my opinion. I do not dress my dogs unless it's for a pic or a coat and boots for the winter. It's pretty much needed at least the boots here with the salt and for some dogs they need a coat too.

Super Moderator
I think part of the problem is comfort, part of the problem is that some people will dress their dogs for longer than just take a photo. But for me, the biggest thing is I want my dog to be a dog, not something for dressing up. I'm just a bit 'meh' about it all.

Registered
Well my Chelsea was almost 15YO and she was cold much quicker as she got older. A sweater or a coat or hoodie really helped her feel secure and warm. It stopped her from trembling.

I put a vest (for the cold) on Ozzy (pup) and he went right to sleep with on like that's what it's for. Like a thundershirt I suppose. Always worked for my dogs, but as Chelsea got older, she was wearing a coat or sweater every time she went out in the winter and also a hoodie or sweater in the house on days she was trembly.

Meh is better than being disgusted I guess....that's ok. I wouldn't send you a pic of Ozzy dressed up either tho!

Super Moderator
Oh, I have no problem with functional clothing to protect from rain, cold or heat - it's just the fancy dress costumes that I'm not keen on.

Registered
Oh, I have no problem with functional clothing to protect from rain, cold or heat - it's just the fancy dress costumes that I'm not keen on.
Yeah sorry, not meaning to argue or anything, just for discussion :) I agree, for protection, I have no issue either. I still don't mind the Chucky costume for a pic, but agree not something my dog would wear for longer than a pic or to the dog park lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts