Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I rescued a dog 15 years ago after I had been thinking about getting one for a few months. She had been hit by a car and the owner was going to have her put to sleep. She had a broken leg and the owner did not want her. I found out and paid the vet bills and took her home. She passed away a couple of months go, I miss her so much. There was something very special about her, she was not like any dog I have her owned or been around. For the last two years I carried her up and down stairs because she had arthritis in her front legs. She would always kiss me on the cheek when I picked her up. 14 years ago I rescued another dog because I did not want my other one to get lonely while I was at work. One day when I was in pet smart getting dog food a dog followed me all over the store. Out of all of the people in there he picked me so I paid for him and took him home.
I have never looked for a dog, they all found me in one way or another. Now with my male being around 15 I have thought about getting another dog. In a way I think that if I am supposed to have another one the one that is supposed to be with me will find me. Is it crazy for me to feel that way? I have looked at rescue places and wanted to adopt. 2 dogs I tried to adopt were from puppy mills and were abused by the men there. They would not let me adopt them because they said it would cause to much stress on the dog to be in a home with me. I tried again a few weeks ago and a couple of days before they were going to bring her to my house they found out she had also been abused by a man. They thought about letting me have her anyway but but after watching her with the foster woman's husband they decided not to bring her.
I have never abused my dogs and I took them to the vet regularly. My dogs liked to lay on the back of the couch and look out the window all day so I tinted the windows to keep them from having eye problems. All of my vacations have been spent at home because I did not want to kennel them. The female that passed away had separation anxiety when i had to travel for training at work. I felt guilty every time I had to leave her at the kennel so the only time I was going to do that was if it was far work. I called every day to check on them. I bought the house I am in for the big back yard so they could run and play. It is also 2 minutes from work so I can come home at lunch every day.
For the last 15 years I have had dogs in my house. I know the male I have now may live 2 to3 more years, the vet is not sure how old he. I thought about getting a puppy, at least that way I know I will not be getting a dog that was abused. I looked for puppies and I read about the puppy mills in OH and PA so that is not what I want. I plan on getting two dogs at some point and they will be the last two I have. A part of me says not to do anything and the right one will come along. It was 4 years between my 18 year old poodle/terrier mix and the one I rescued after she had been hit by a car. My house will feel really empty if I do not have a dog and I am not sure I would want to even live here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
@dko,
You're clearly a true dog lover and I bet any dog would be lucky to live with you! It's lovely to hear about your current male dog and also the girl you had previously; what sweeties! It definitely seems from your post that you're someone who wants to always have at least one dog, so I think it's really sensible to plan for the future when your lovely male is in the Great Kennel in the Sky!
I don't think it's crazy at all to think about dogs "choosing you" - they're really intuitive and I do believe that they pick up on subtles cues to find dog lovers (our dog always seeks out the most dog-friendly people in the room!) Still, I also think you could give the right dog a helping hand in finding you, by visiting shelters etc and seeing if any dogs are drawn to you or vice versa!
I don't think you mentioned: is your currently oldie male good with other dogs, including older dogs? If not, that will of course limit your options (you might not think it fair to adopt another dog while he's alive if it would make him unhappy). But if he generally enjoys being with other dogs, might it would be worth thinking about getting a more mature rescue dog rather than a puppy? The two might then be better company for each other (including when you're away) because their energy levels are better matched - some older dogs find young playful puppies a bit much! Plus there are so many older dogs out there looking for homes and it's obvious that you'd give them a GREAT retirement! And of course you'd avoid any risks of puppy mills that way... We adopted our dog when she was eight, so on the older side but with plenty of years left - she's the perfect balance for us energy-wise, enjoying her walks and some boisterous play sessions, but then happy to settle down and sleep while we work.
You're the best person to know what's right for you; I know whatever you decide, any new dog will have a fantastic life with you!
I hope this has been some help. I mostly just wanted to affirm that your post clearly shows that you always put your dog/s first, so you should feel confident that you're making good dog-centred decisions, whatever those turn out to be! Best of luck.

Hello,
I rescued a dog 15 years ago after I had been thinking about getting one for a few months. She had been hit by a car and the owner was going to have her put to sleep. She had a broken leg and the owner did not want her. I found out and paid the vet bills and took her home. She passed away a couple of months go, I miss her so much. There was something very special about her, she was not like any dog I have her owned or been around. For the last two years I carried her up and down stairs because she had arthritis in her front legs. She would always kiss me on the cheek when I picked her up. 14 years ago I rescued another dog because I did not want my other one to get lonely while I was at work. One day when I was in pet smart getting dog food a dog followed me all over the store. Out of all of the people in there he picked me so I paid for him and took him home.
I have never looked for a dog, they all found me in one way or another. Now with my male being around 15 I have thought about getting another dog. In a way I think that if I am supposed to have another one the one that is supposed to be with me will find me. Is it crazy for me to feel that way? I have looked at rescue places and wanted to adopt. 2 dogs I tried to adopt were from puppy mills and were abused by the men there. They would not let me adopt them because they said it would cause to much stress on the dog to be in a home with me. I tried again a few weeks ago and a couple of days before they were going to bring her to my house they found out she had also been abused by a man. They thought about letting me have her anyway but but after watching her with the foster woman's husband they decided not to bring her.
I have never abused my dogs and I took them to the vet regularly. My dogs liked to lay on the back of the couch and look out the window all day so I tinted the windows to keep them from having eye problems. All of my vacations have been spent at home because I did not want to kennel them. The female that passed away had separation anxiety when i had to travel for training at work. I felt guilty every time I had to leave her at the kennel so the only time I was going to do that was if it was far work. I called every day to check on them. I bought the house I am in for the big back yard so they could run and play. It is also 2 minutes from work so I can come home at lunch every day.
For the last 15 years I have had dogs in my house. I know the male I have now may live 2 to3 more years, the vet is not sure how old he. I thought about getting a puppy, at least that way I know I will not be getting a dog that was abused. I looked for puppies and I read about the puppy mills in OH and PA so that is not what I want. I plan on getting two dogs at some point and they will be the last two I have. A part of me says not to do anything and the right one will come along. It was 4 years between my 18 year old poodle/terrier mix and the one I rescued after she had been hit by a car. My house will feel really empty if I do not have a dog and I am not sure I would want to even live here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Fonzie is vey laid back and thinks everyone is his friend. Yes, I always put my dogs first. I just thought about the puppy knowing it should live 10 to 15 years. I know it will be the last one to two dogs I own. I will be too old at that time to get another one. I would not want to worry about what is going to happen with my pet if something happens to me. It would kill me to think I was having to find them a new home. I always worried about my dogs. I wanted the best for Daisy and I am not sure I will ever be over her.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fonzie sounds great!
It's a good point, and well done you for thinking planning over the lifespan of a dog (not enough people do that!). Hmm, if you definitely want another puppy at some point, then it does sound like you might want to get one soon (or even two siblings - they could play with each other to give Fonzie a break, and then they'll have each other when he's no longer around). You'd just want to make sure Fonzie had some quiet space - perhaps his own crate or even room that the pups weren't allowed into.
If you're open to either a puppy or a more mature dog, I guess it is easier to plan with an older dog because (brutal as it sounds) they're not going to live as long, so you're planning fewer years ahead. So you might adopt an older dog now; they might live seven more years, and then you can look again and think, "How active do I feel now? How much longer am I likely to be able to look after a dog?" and rescue a dog who's likely to live about that long again. That makes it all sound very strategic and of course adopting has to be a heart as well as a head situation. But you might like to think in terms of rescuing a few different older dogs over the next say 15 years, instead of just one puppy. It does mean having to say goodbye to them more often (that's the sad thing with adopting older dogs) but it also means you can give multiple deserving dogs a GREAT home, which is such a gift!
I'm not suggesting one course of action is better than another (again, only you will know what will work best for you) but I wanted to open up another option for you! Regardless, from what you say it does seem like this could be a good time for you to start looking for your next dog, since it's so important for you to have dogs in your life!

·
Super Moderator
2,505 Posts
Just a little bit of caution over this -
or even two siblings - they could play with each other to give Fonzie a break
Please do some research on littermate syndrome if you even consider having two. And that applies to any two pups of similar age even if they are not actually littermates.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's really interesting, @JoanneF - thanks, I've learnt something new!

Here in the UK at least, I often see bonded pairs of dogs (of all ages) at rescue shelters who need to be rehomed together for their wellbeing for one of a variety of reasons; for example, one giving the other confidence or help, or the two simply never having been apart. Centres can find it hard to rehome them since most people are only looking for one dog. I wonder if that might be a solution which would be good for both @dko and the dogs!

Thanks again for the heads-up, @JoanneF !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I decided not to get two at the same time. I will probably get one and wait a few month before the next one, if I even get a second. I would need to get one potty trained, not sure I am up to doing two at the same time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts