Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For ages now I have been wanting to get a Staffordshire Bull terrier, iv done a good bit off research but still have do some more! I want to be 100% redy for the dog If we do go and get one :).. We already have five dogs four males and one female so that I duno I suppose kind off concerns me?.. I need alot off advise on the breed! Could I get a staffy and make sure it's 100% gets along with our other dogs? Are would it be to much.. Our dogs are aged form 13 months to 13 years.. Three Golden Retrivers, one jack Russell cross Yorkshire, one shih tzu cross maltese advice please!!

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
Can you explain more about your set-up? For example, are these indoor dogs? outdoor dogs? a combination of both? How do you feed them? Where do they sleep? How do your current dogs get along? How do you deal with intra-dog conflicts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah sure, we live in a bungalow with a medium to biggish size garden (deffintly one of Biggest garden in the estate) there is three dogs inside, and two out all off the time .. *INSIDE DOGS ARE*:
Kylie -female golden 5 years she's brilliant with other dogs no real worries there although she has always been the only female! She gets along grand with both gender dogs on walks though, she's always inside except for when walks and toilet if that matters......
Sasha- Male yorkie cross jack Russell his 13 and is very old.. He ignores other dogs except for the odd 'grunt' if one them step on him lol.. He dosent have the best eyesight either but usally is fine with dogs has never been in a fight he sleeps alot so mostly inside during the day and always inside at night.....
Taffy - 13 months male shih tzu cross, gets along 100% with our inside dogs,can be very yappy with one of our outside ones(Indy) his good with dogs on walks too abit vocal and will bark back at dogs has never tried to bite any dog but does annoy some dogs
would be nutureing him before we would get a dog so would hope that it would help although he only seems to be yappy with some males never really females.. He sleeps inside but is out for a good bit of the day most days....

*Outside we have a big man-made brick shed witch the door is always open and we also have one large kennel just at back door window where there is shelter above it.. aslo have a fairly goodish size garden *

OUTSIDE DOGS ARE:
cofy ;2 year male golden, brillant with ALL dogs (our dogs, strange dogs, and dogs he meets on walks) so no worries there.... Playful, all dogs seem to get along with him.. He knows when a dog dosent want to play has a wonderful temperament his crate trained and sleeps in the shed or crate depending on his mood

INDY; male golden nearly 5, is probably where the problem will be... His really picky about dogs tbh, he has never bite a dog(thank god) but does growl! And has tried to charge.. His also very strong.. We're trying get him on more walks to get uset to dogs outside off his 'clan' lol he was bite when he was about two and has never really been the same.. He isent a vicous dog though and is Ok with strange dogs from a distance.. Our shih tzu cross does bark into his face sometimes and he will growl and an odd time 'charge' but once taffy backs off his grand it's not he dosent like male dogs cause he gets along 100% with cofy he would even let him eat out of his dish!! Lol he sleeps in the kennel

There all currently on the same dry food except Sasha (13 years yorkie cross) who gets wet food.. All dogs are good on walks except indy, But I'm good with handling them when I do walk indy I would have another person with me 110% for the time..

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I think you need to do a little work on the pack you already have first. Also, do you think adding a powerful breed like a Staffie would be fair to Sasha? I was only going suggest getting a puppy Staffie to grow up with the small dogs so s/he doesn't treat them as prey. I don't think it would be safe to bring in an adult, strong, often high prey drive dog like that with lapdogs. Even if s/he was just being playful something bad could happen. But I think that since Sasha is so elderly, disabled and small, you might want to wait until he passes away to add a dog like that.

Also, I would do some work on Taffy. Getting along with his own pack doesn't necessarily mean he will get along with new dogs. Since he's the youngest I'll assume he's the newest, and that means he's never experienced a new dog entering the home. You want to make sure he will be ok with strange dogs both on the street and any new ones coming into the house since you want to add more dogs. I see you also mention that he's yappy with Indy. You need to teach him that's not ok. He's barely out of the teenager stage so hopefully training should stop or alleviate this issue. And you definitely should get him neutered, but that typically doesn't change behavior other than searching for females/running off and some humping.

I would also make sure Indy is ok with other dogs. The majority of his pack is little guys, and many dogs will act differently with dogs of other sizes. You even said yourself you want to train him to walk on a leash better, so I would do that.

It sounds like you've got a nice pack and set up in your home. However, 5 dogs is a lot for anyone. I think right now you need to do work on your mouthy teen Taffy, and especially take the quality of life of your old guy Sasha into account. I think it's great you want to get a breed that's often in shelters (I hope you're looking to adopt!), but right now I think that would be too stressful for you and your other dogs. Wait another 6-18 months and see how everyone is.

Reactions: Dia

·
Registered
455 Posts
It's really up to you ...I do agree it sounds like you have a lot if dogs to work w already. If you do decide to go for a Staffie would you be buying a puppy from a breeder or getting one of the numerous Pits they have in the shelter? Most of the shelter dogs are not the small Staffordshire Bull Terriers, but more the larger American Staffordshire Terriers, at least around here.
If you do decide to adopt make sure to do a meet and greet to be certain Indy especially, but all of the dogs really and the new dog get along.
Like I said, it's your decision, just make sure you put a lot of thought into it and really make sure you have time for another dog.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.