Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm currently thinking about spending some money to get Harvey some nice gear. I moved into the mountains, so I would like to try skijoring when it gets cold. There has never been enough snow in the city, but there should be enough snow out here.

I'm looking at Ruffwear's products. Harvey comes a lot more places with me since I take him into town with me a lot and I want to get a nice harness that will last a very long time and has a nice handle on it (getting in and out of the car a lot).

So I want to harness to have three purposes:
1) Comfortable enough to wear for extended periods while we are going to various places in town with a nice handle for my convenience.
2) Keeps Harvey and myself safer in the car
3) Could possibly function as a joring harness (even though Harvey already has one from Alpine Outfitters, so this is not super necessary)

Currently, I'm looking at two of them. The first one is a dog climbing harness that has a nice handle and would be exceptional in the car (strength tested, three points of contact, and steel fastenings). The leg straps come off also, which is awesome because they would be super annoying to have all the time. Another benefit, I do rock climb at a climbing gym, but maybe one day I'll be brave enough to go rock climbing for real. Harvey could come too, then.
Ruffwear Doublebackâ„¢ Harness | Strength-Rated Harness for Dogs
The second it a joring harness that comes with a human hipbelt attachment. Harvey already has a custom pulling harness from Alpine Outfitters, but this one also looks really nice. It's more expensive and would be less useful in the car (plastic fastenings and only two points of contact) but it looks pretty cool.

I'm also looking to get him a Ruffwear dog jacket. I want to do skijoring, but I think he may get cold. He already has booties and he does have a medium length coat, although it's not thick like a husky's or anything.

Here is a picture of him. Do you think a coat is necessary, or is his coat long/thick enough to handle the snow?

If a coat is necessary for him, does anyone have any recommendations? Something waterproof since he'll be running in the snow a lot.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I think your best bet is to see if he's comfortable in the snow or if he looks cold. Just based on appearances it looks like he could be alright especially if he's running around a lot

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, perhaps I will wait on buying a jacket and see if he's comfortable in the snow or not. =)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have an IDC power harness and we both love it. Based on the three things you said you would like about a harness I think this could be your choice. It is shaped in a way so it won't bother your dog's neck by sliding up. Also under the armpit it is further back. It has the velcro handle that you mentioned also. You can also attach a car seatbelt to the harness so your dog can be safe. It comes in many different color so you can enjoying picking a color you like. I will attach some pictures for you!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, that one does look pretty cool! I like that you can attach side bags to it, as I've often felt that I needed to choose between a good harness and a dog backpack.

What is the material it's made out of? Does it hold up well in rough conditions, such as hiking, swimming, rolling in the snow and mud?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hmm, that one does look pretty cool! I like that you can attach side bags to it, as I've often felt that I needed to choose between a good harness and a dog backpack.

What is the material it's made out of? Does it hold up well in rough conditions, such as hiking, swimming, rolling in the snow and mud?
Yes! I love it so much. Even when we are just going for a longer walk, I can just easily put my small personal items in it. Before I purchased it, I researched it it said it is made from hard-wearing nylon. It has a breathable inner liner so summer time it can be just as comfortable. I will attach a link to the direct website so you read a lot about it yourself, instead of having someone just telling it to you. If you scroll down on the site, you will find everything about the harness. Let me know if I can help you with anything else :)

Julius K9 IDC powerharnesses, aquamarine, K9-USA.com - Julius K9 Premium Partner, 20,80 €

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, interesting. I don't feel like it's ideal for pulling and isn't the absolute safest thing I could have in the car, but I love the side bags and the way it looks. I'm also quite attracted to the fact you can have a custom patch sewn on, mostly because I could easy let people know that Harvey is NOT to be approached by other people's dogs. Something like "Not Dog Friendly" or even just a plain "Do Not Approach". It's quite cheap, too. I'll think about it for sure.

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
My husky mix gets cold in the snow. mostly because she runs so hard she heats up then stops for half a second and freezes solid, but something to be mindful of lol.

I wouldn't mix joring/car harnesses with regular ones. They serve a specific function for a reason :) There's a TON of harnesses that fit the description of comfortable everyday harness, but you need to pick the right one for YOUR dog-measurements will be key, and the way your dog is built.

I think the only car harness that is fully crash tested is the sleepypod. Even ruffwear's new car harness misses some of the ratings that one has. If you're going to dish out for a car harness, I'd get that one :)

A lot of people like the julius, the webmaster, comfortflex, and hurtta y harnesses. There's more out there, find one that you like? :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.