Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 16 year-old kitty Emily has been slowly losing weight over the last year. She went from 11 pounds to 8, to 6...she was diagnosed with a thyroid issue in July and started on medication twice a day. Her weight stabilized for a while but then dropped to just around 6 pounds in December. Her belly has been very distended and the vet suspects Lymphoma. We went ahead and decided to treat her with steroids to see if she would put on some weight but she has been getting progressively slower. She purrs and is otherwise sleeping almost all day, but I noticed that she didn't eat on Saturday, yesterday, or this morning. I offered her some chicken baby food which she usually likes but after one quick lick, she turned her nose away :( She smells terrible, like a mix of pee, poop, and a decaying smell. I feel so sad for her. I feel like maybe it is time, but then there is that part in the back of my mind that is terrified of making this decision and wishing she would die in her sleep. It's hard when she looks up at me and is purring to think she is ready. I am also feeling guilty because we brought home out new puppy last week (we had been on a waiting list for 6 months so knew when he was coming home) so I feel like the timing is bitter-sweet. She has had no stress b/c of the puppy b/c she sleeps in a different part of the house and has not had to interact with him at all. We decided to keep her as peaceful as possible and not risk introducing them at this point. This is just a vent I guess. At work and feeling really sad, and the lack of sleep from the new puppy, puppy blues, and this mixed together makes it all seem much more overwhelming.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Oh, hon.

I know how tough this is. About a year and a half ago, my kitty stopped eating. He was only 12, and he had pancreatitis. Because we didn't get him to eat soon enough, his liver started shutting down, so I had to put him to sleep. That one was easier because the vets called and told me that it was time; there was nothing else they could do.

A year ago, my other kitty, who was now just almost 13, had cancer. She possibly could have survived longer, but there was a lump near one of her lymph nodes, and even though she seemed fine, when the vets came (I had them come do it at my house--so much less stressful for her), they said that I had made the right choice, as she was starting to go downhill, even though she was still clean and shiny and lively.

It sounds like your kitty is beyond that point. It's a really, really tough decision, but it sounds like she may be in quite a bit of pain. Cats are especially good at hiding their pain, and so it's hard for us to know that they're experiencing it. But with no food for several days, it sounds like she's already decided it's time to leave. It's okay to help her with that.

*hug* I'm so, so sorry. It's really tough. Please, don't feel guilty.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much. It is just hard having the "power" to decide and wondering if I am using that power appropriately. I had a nice, long cry as I stroked her a little while ago and told her she was the best kitty. The appointment at 4pm tomorrow is hanging over me like a black cloud but there was no other time to schedule it. I am praying I don't need to go and she goes sometime tonight or tomorrow in her sleep. Thanks so much for sharing your personal experiences. I have been a mess and the few friends I have who don't have pets don't understand.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Emily went peacefully at 5pm last night. I got home from work and she was curled up on her pillow sleeping and breathing very slowly. I held her for 2 hours straight and pet her and had a good cry. My husband and two kids came with me to the vet to say goodbye and then I went in alone with her when they put her down. It was very quick and she seemed at peace. Thanks for you r support.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Emily went peacefully at 5pm last night. I got home from work and she was curled up on her pillow sleeping and breathing very slowly. I held her for 2 hours straight and pet her and had a good cry. My husband and two kids came with me to the vet to say goodbye and then I went in alone with her when they put her down. It was very quick and she seemed at peace. Thanks for you r support.
Oh my goodness, this post has had me in tears. I'm so very sorry for you, she needed you to do the right thing & you did. Emily is one of the lucky ones, she had loving owners who gave her a great life & weren't prepared to let her suffer when the time came for her to leave this world. Sleep tight Emily, you were loved & will not be forgotten :huddle:

·
Registered
507 Posts
*huge hugs* So glad she went peacefully. It's so hard, but it sounds like she had a fantastic life.

Reactions: MHDDOG2016

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'm so so sorry. 2/22/14 I had to put one of my cats down, her name was Phoebe. She was a little bitch but a lover. She had mammary cancer and it spread really fast. I was also torn about having her PTS, she was still purring when you'd pet her, but like yours wouldn't eat and had lost a lot of weight. It was time, I know it was but I still feel a bit guilty about it. She purred to the end. But letting them go peacefully is really the right thing to do, no matter how hard it is on us. And now you have the puppy to help keep your spirits up and lick away your tears. Just remember the good times, and all the joy they bring to our lives.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry. I think you did the right thing, and she knows she was loved ever so much. I'm sure she is appreciative of you for having the strength to end her pain and let her be peaceful.

*hugs*

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so much to everyone. It's hard to believe it has already been a week since Emily died. Dealing with the needs of a new puppy make the days blend! I am picking up her ashes this afternoon and our vet sent a lovely sympathy card which I have yet to open- I will open it when I feel ready. Thanks again to everyone for their support.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I went through a loss in April with my 15.5 year old cat named Ares. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my entire life. She was a member of our family and we all miss her so much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts