Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The puppies are finally here!!!! 69 days pregnant and we have 4 beautiful babies - 3 boys and one girl. Looking like 2 tri boys, 1 white and tan boy and 1 white and tan girl.

Nelson sat by Poppy's side the whole time. Didn't get too close but was there just in case. She is doing brilliantly.
:happydance::happydance:

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you :) Poppy let Nelson give them all a clean a little while ago - under strict supervision of course. I'm so proud of how well they are caring for them.

Managed to weigh them this morning:

Girl is 182g
Tri boy 1 is 147g
White and tan boy is 143g
Tri boy 2 is 132g

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The puppies are now 4 days old and are mostly doing great. We are having to supplement the smallest one with a few extra feeds but the vet said he is fine, the bigger pups just keep pushing him out so its just a precaution.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The puppies are a week old today and growing so quickly. Poppy and Nelson are a great little co-parenting team, although Nelson does keep taking tennis balls and his favourite tug rope to them to play!

Here's a quick dinner time photo

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really just need to vent this afternoon. The puppies are doing amazingly well and Poppy and Nelson are taking their parenting duties very seriously. Fairly sure Nelson has been trying to feed them, although he's not having much luck!

So earlier today my mother-in-law decided that turn up. This is a fairly regular occurrence, no warning just walks in when she feels like it. We don't have the best relationship but I can tolerate her, through gritted teeth, but that's a whole other story.

My mother-in-law has an 8 year old whippet that my two are normally very friendly with and generally love to see him. I have told her from the moment Poppy fell pregnant that she was not to bring him to the house. I have been around enough litters to know this would probably end in tears. But never the less in she walks, dog in tow. I had a minor panic but my two seemed OK, although both stood by the pen door so no-one could go near the pups as expected. They did a normal hello sniff but then just sat by the pen.

I asked her to go and sit in the living room as the dogs clearly weren't 100% comfortable. I offered her a cup of tea then went to the kitchen to make it. Next thing I hear is Poppy and Nelson barking like I've never heard before, her dog yelping and then her screaming at my two.

I immediately dropped everything to see wtf was happening. First thing I spot is blood. Not a lot but enough. Grabbed Poppy and Nelson and put them in the pen with the puppies and told the MIL to get into it the living room with her dog.

The dogs calmed down quite quickly. Checked them both over, Nelson had blood on his muzzle but wasn't cut so counted the puppies and checked them over. I calmed down a bit until I realised if it wasn't his or Poppy's it had to be her dog.

She was still screaming some choice words about my dogs at this point. I checked her dog over, she was too busy shouting at me, and he had a small cut from a bite on his cheek but seemed happy enough, even rolled over for a belly rub. I cleaned him up and it stopped bleeding pretty quickly then said I would take him over to my vet to make sure there was no serious damage.

Once everyone had calmed down a bit I asked the MIL what had happened - our dogs had never so much as growled at each other before. Her reply shocked me. Apparently she just wanted her dog to meet the puppies so pushed my two away from the puppies and tried to get her dog to go in to the pen to meet them. I was then told I should talk to someone about how vicious my dogs are and if they'd bitten her she would have made sure the were destroyed, puppies or not. At this point I picked her dogs lead up, put it on him, threw her bag at her and made her get out of my house and never come back.

What exactly did I/the dogs do wrong??? I have been telling her for 11 weeks to keep her dog away just in case. I told her my dogs didn't look happy so to take her dog away from them. All Poppy and Nelson did was instinctively protect their babies from possible danger.

And to make thing worse I had a phone call from my OH to tell me she was crying down the phone because Nelson attacked her then I shouted at her! He has instantly taken her side without even listening to what I have to say. He's going round to her house after work to try and convince her not to call the RSPCA and report them as dangerous dogs :hammer:

On a lighter note, here's a new photo of our little Phara

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Really just need to vent this afternoon. The puppies are doing amazingly well and Poppy and Nelson are taking their parenting duties very seriously. Fairly sure Nelson has been trying to feed them, although he's not having much luck!

So earlier today my mother-in-law decided that turn up. This is a fairly regular occurrence, no warning just walks in when she feels like it. We don't have the best relationship but I can tolerate her, through gritted teeth, but that's a whole other story.

My mother-in-law has an 8 year old whippet that my two are normally very friendly with and generally love to see him. I have told her from the moment Poppy fell pregnant that she was not to bring him to the house. I have been around enough litters to know this would probably end in tears. But never the less in she walks, dog in tow. I had a minor panic but my two seemed OK, although both stood by the pen door so no-one could go near the pups as expected. They did a normal hello sniff but then just sat by the pen.

I asked her to go and sit in the living room as the dogs clearly weren't 100% comfortable. I offered her a cup of tea then went to the kitchen to make it. Next thing I hear is Poppy and Nelson barking like I've never heard before, her dog yelping and then her screaming at my two.

I immediately dropped everything to see wtf was happening. First thing I spot is blood. Not a lot but enough. Grabbed Poppy and Nelson and put them in the pen with the puppies and told the MIL to get into it the living room with her dog.

The dogs calmed down quite quickly. Checked them both over, Nelson had blood on his muzzle but wasn't cut so counted the puppies and checked them over. I calmed down a bit until I realised if it wasn't his or Poppy's it had to be her dog.

She was still screaming some choice words about my dogs at this point. I checked her dog over, she was too busy shouting at me, and he had a small cut from a bite on his cheek but seemed happy enough, even rolled over for a belly rub. I cleaned him up and it stopped bleeding pretty quickly then said I would take him over to my vet to make sure there was no serious damage.

Once everyone had calmed down a bit I asked the MIL what had happened - our dogs had never so much as growled at each other before. Her reply shocked me. Apparently she just wanted her dog to meet the puppies so pushed my two away from the puppies and tried to get her dog to go in to the pen to meet them. I was then told I should talk to someone about how vicious my dogs are and if they'd bitten her she would have made sure the were destroyed, puppies or not. At this point I picked her dogs lead up, put it on him, threw her bag at her and made her get out of my house and never come back.

What exactly did I/the dogs do wrong??? I have been telling her for 11 weeks to keep her dog away just in case. I told her my dogs didn't look happy so to take her dog away from them. All Poppy and Nelson did was instinctively protect their babies from possible danger.

And to make thing worse I had a phone call from my OH to tell me she was crying down the phone because Nelson attacked her then I shouted at her! He has instantly taken her side without even listening to what I have to say. He's going round to her house after work to try and convince her not to call the RSPCA and report them as dangerous dogs :hammer:

On a lighter note, here's a new photo of our little Phara
Wow! That's nuts. Doesn't sound like you or the dogs did anything wrong. People are such idiots sometimes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well no real harm done at least. I just really don't understand how some people can be quite so stupid!

This is what Nelson thinks about the whole situation - couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Sounds like you did nothing wrong, it was you MIL. Dog's instinctually want to keep their young safe from harm and if another dog is forced or goes near and the mother isn't ok with it she will, in no uncertain terms, attack. Your MIL should be disappointed in her actions, your dogs were just protecting their family from a threat.

·
Registered
202 Posts
She sounds like a crazy person. Putting not only her own dog in danger with her stupid actions(after you told her to separate them!!) but the puppies also if her dog had ended up being aggressive with them. :mad: Absolutely ridiculous. Even if she did put a complaint in to the SPCA.. All you'd have to do is give a run down of what happened and they would understand how you, and the dogs, did nothing wrong.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went out for puppy supplies earlier and left them all home alone. Got back to 2 puppies trying to wonder around the pen and mum and dad panicking! They're growing so quickly!

Also had a visit from an RSPCA inspector - an 'anonymous' complaint had been made. As it turns out she used to support us when we fostered reptiles for them a few years ago so it was more of a catch up than anything else. Poppy and Nelson were more than happy to show the puppies off and she even said she was looking for another pup so if any of their homes fall through to give her a call. She tried to persuade me to start fostering again but I don't think I have enough time anymore, especially not with a new puppy to get trained.

Poppy and Nelson now have a pretty good puppy responsibility routine going on. Mum feeds and Dad cleans. She doesn't even really supervise him any more :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We've spent the day playing put the puppy back in the basket. Poppy really isn't ready for them to be wondering around on their own and panics every time they try. She's also discovered that feeding them sitting up is much more comfortable :p

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
4 weeks old tomorrow. The puppies have officially found their voices and learnt than running is a quick way to get around!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts