Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I signed my puppy up for a Reactive Rover group class. Last week was her first week and she was the worst. The trainer said she's so overcome with excitement. She was very reactive with him - crying, lunging, jumping, barking. She also barked at the other dogs during peak-a-boo.

This week we've done LAT everyday. We go to the dog park, sit outside, and look at dogs. Fast forward to this week and my puppy ROCKED IT OUT. During the quick peak-a-boo sessions she just sat and looked. A few wiggles and dances but no barking. At one point she LAID DOWN. Just laid there staring as I C/T. She didn't bark at the instructor at all. Some wiggles and dances but then quickly sat for a treat from him. I was so proud of her. Maybe there's hope for her to get a grip on life!

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Congrats!

I do think there is hope for reactive dogs, but there is SO much when it's just excitement, really. She'll mature, you'll do a great job training her, and in a year or two you'll wonder why you were ever worried. :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
That's wonderful to hear!!! Sounds like you are doing great.

I am taking a class with my doggy today (it's going to be her first class). The class is for exposing dogs to different situations safely, as I want to get her ready for trials by sometime next year. It's run at a R+ facility who also train dogs to compete in Rally and Agility!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts