Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would never order a new puppy to be shipped sight unseen. I want to meet the seller face to face.

Puppy breeds/colors/markings especially tough to find right here in the states are:

-solid black German shepherds that are security dog quality
-Irish setters or Red setters that are field-bred for hunting
-red golden retrievers that are field bred for hunting
-American foxhounds that are bred for hunting
-Irish red and white setters

You practically have to fly to Israel to get a Canaan dog.

You will find the Internet rife with listings for pro breeders of field-quality Labrador retrievers though and that is a good thing.
The state of California might be for those who are the most discriminating puppy buyers.

Which states do the highest-quality dogs tend to be professionally bred in?

I am very disheartened by the limited availability of black German Shepherd pups and how expensive they are.

Where do most police agencies in America get their GSD's?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm not following you. You seem to be making the link between a dog's markings/colour and their suitability for a particular task. You also seem to imply that where a dog is bread (which state) impacts their "quality".

None of this makes the least bit of sense to me. How did you reach these conclusions?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't assk you tp
I'm not following you. You seem to be making the link between a dog's markings/colour and their suitability for a particular task. You also seem to imply that where a dog is bread (which state) impacts their "quality".

None of this makes the least bit of sense to me. How did you reach these conclusions?
I did not ask anybody to follow me. I made these conclusions by shopping for various breeders using Google. I like black German shepherds because of the benefit it provides to my human eyes and nothing else.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I did not ask anybody to follow me. I made these conclusions by shopping for various breeders using Google. I like black German shepherds because of the benefit it provides to my human eyes and nothing else.
The simple point is certain dogs (breeds and/or colors) are very tough to find and/or afford to purchase depending upon where in the world you live. I can't even find one single black German shepherd puppy from any professional breeder inthe state of Oklahoma. I have also judged the pictures of the breeders' dogs and bitches that were at their websites of several breeders listed on the Web. To me, visually-attractive dogs seem to be bred and sold in areas of the country that are of a high cost of living. You get what you pay for. Often there are long waiting lists. You might not be able to find the puppy of your dream cheaply, easily and conveniently. I fancy owning a beautiful black German shepherd that is professionally bred and trained to protect me from criminal attack and I doubt if I will ever be able to find one and afford to purchase one. If a person is rich, he or she can have any dog he or she wants. I'm coming to the conclusion these days that fancy dogs are on the same level as fancy horses in terms of money and prestige. A black GSD is certainly no poor man's dog.

If, on the other hand, one wants a black Labrador retriever in America, he or she is in good luck: they are bred and sold like cattle here.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well responsible breeders often do loads of health and genetic testing on their dogs. They also consider temperament, which means they end up with some dogs they choose not to breed because of these reasons. They still have to feed and properly care for all of their dogs.

Add to that responsible breeders do routine health checks and vaccines for all of the puppies. They also socialize puppies with a wide variety of places, textures, people, animals, which is also difficult to do since they're little, are not fully vaccinated, and have weakened immune systems.

Responsible breeders feed and supplement in ways that promote puppies' developing bodies and brains.

Good breeders start training before you even bring the puppy home. And if it's a working/ hunting dog, some breeders even start that training when they're young.

Additionally, responsible breeders also include contracts with clauses such as "you must return your dog to us if you plan to rehome." Which means they're also responsible for every dog they produce for his/ her entire life.

All of this costs money, which is what you pay for when you get the puppy. Plus the fact that responsible breeders need all their time to devote to raising these puppies, which means they also need to make a living wage.

So of course it's costly. If you want a cheap puppy, you're looking at a backyard breeder or rescue dog who needs a home.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The solid-black GSD is not widely available on American soil because perhaps this dog is not in popular demand. Most GSD's sold on US soil tend to be some black and tan marking and there are a fair number of those on the market. Black Labs are all over the place like house flies because they are the most popular dog there is on American soil.

Also, there are lot more professional breeders of retrievers, Labrador and Golden, than German shepherd anyway. I know this by running simple Google searches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts