Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm now on a waiting list for a Pug puppy..Paid my deposit have been talking to the breeder bit on and off. Seems to be a good person.

Said she has "ongoing litters"..some due next month, then in February and then March 2016..might take till June 2016 to have puppies for the 25 who have "reserved"..she has to check at home to see if I'm one of those 25..If not then I'll need to wait till around June or later. :p

Thing is..I was hoping to have a Pug pup before Xmas. :) Doesn't look like it's going to workout that way. And would need to wait till Feb 2016 at the earliest. Only has 4 puppies from the current litter..

I'm sure most of you have gone through this long wait. Yet wishing you could have your pup ASAP. Being a bit impatient. :)

I know some have waited as long as a year or more. :)

I miss the days when we could go to a reputable pet shop and buy from them. Walk in, choose your pup, pay for it and walk out. My family did that with our first two dogs. No health problems. Maybe we were lucky both times. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just heard from the breeder. turns out I won't be picking up my Pug till around June. :p At the earliest May. 7 more months. :) Summer will probably be here in no time. This year blew by. Almost December already.

At least I'm not going to be waiting a year or more.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was going through the "puppy contract". Said we have to buy a specific type of dog food or we will void our contract/"warranty". Bit anal and potentially inconvenient even if this company for now will offer free delivery to the US/Canada. TLC (tender loving care). Never heard of them.

What happens when this company changes one key ingredient, affecting the flavour, which most dogs pickup on immediately. All pet food manufacturers do this eventually.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had no idea they could put that in a puppy contract. That's sooo inconvenient! what if your pup turns out to be allergic? I'll def have to read my puppy contract very carefully

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I had no idea they could put that in a puppy contract. That's sooo inconvenient! what if your pup turns out to be allergic? I'll def have to read my puppy contract very carefully
Hi Hannah,

It is a bit ridiculous but I think my breeder gets free dog food from putting this stipulation in the puppy contracts. And this is only for the 1st year (puppy warrantee period). After that it's up to us.

Never thought of that. That the puppy could have an allergic reaction to it from the start. Though, the breeder says that the puppies are feed this brand from the start at her place so..I don't think there should be any issues allergy wise or for the puppy not to like the flavour.

My only concern is during this first year..will the manufacturer change any ingredients? Will the puppy pickup on that and refuse to eat it? Happens (I've had 2 dogs).

It IS weird the things some breeders put on their contracts. Did you just get a puppy? If it's past the warranty period then it won't matter even if your contract has this clause.

I just have a slight problem being told what dog food to start my puppy on. I might not approve for whatever the reason. Even if the dog likes it.

I do like the "free delivery" part. And the price is fair. About $30.00 for a 15-lb bag of "high quality" dog food. I used to feed my dog brands like Wellness for a period. Liked it a lot..then they changed an ingredient..had to look for another brand of dog food. :p

Also, all these "hi-end boutique dog foods" with their high prices..are not that much better than some of the brands you get at our groceries. Mine has their own brand. Wasn't greasy or low-grade. Ingredients similar. Just keep them away from ALPO, Pedigree canned or dry...etc. But to pay the overpriced $ some brands ask..I've always tried to avoid them. And my dogs lived very long lives. Happy and healthy. Hope my next will too.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
They can put anything in a contract, it's up to the purchaser to determine what they agree to.

I know of a few retriever breeders that have it in their contract that their dogs can only be fed a raw diet, or a kibble of their choosing, and if the purchaser doesn't the health warranty will be void.

Personally, I have issues with breeders that don't trust a purchaser to do the best by their dog. I understand the premise, they know what food their lines do well on but I'm the kind of person that doesn't like being told what I can or can't do ;), and their is a big possibility that 9 out of 10 pups do well on a food, but you got the 1 that doesn't. Instead I prefer a breeder that works with me to choose the best food, but it's ultimately my decision on what to feed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly my thinking Kay. Give several good suggestions to the new owner of one of their pups. But don't dictate.

At the end of the day it IS a business for them.

This is one of the annoyances we buyers must deal with buying from particular breeders. Now we have no choice but to buy from breeders since some group managed to stop pet shops (e.g. PJ's, Pet Smart) from selling puppies. Which was news to me a few months ago. As the last time my family purchased a puppy was 17+ years ago. How times change.

Oddly enough my neighbourhood Pet Smart does have cats for adoption. They still sell tropical fish, reptiles, birds..but no more dogs. All dogs deserve a good home.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yes @AGC all dogs deserve a home, however ones that come from petshop puppies are more likely to be coming from deplorable conditions and puppy mills. More likely than not, they are taken from their mother's underage, under vaccinated, and thrown into a "incubator" at the store to be sold - which to me is disgusting.

You don't necessarily have to purchase from a breeder either. There are plenty of options through shelters, rescues, and breed-specific rescues. People who do want to purchase from a breeder want a specific breed and one that has been health tested. Waiting for a dog that is of quality breeding is far better then finding yourself heartbroken from a dog that you could've impulsively bought. I understand not all pet shop puppies were unhealthy, but the places they come from...those places need to be shut down. And how many of the other puppies weren't healthy? How many died on route? I'd rather wait any way.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Petsmart and Petco simply showcase shelter animals for adoption. Some have dogs that I've seen, but I think it's just easier to have cats on display and only have dogs there for rescue events - saves them from having to walk and house the dogs.

Pretty much all other pet stores that sell puppies and kittens get their animals from mills. There's a big difference there.

When I was 8, my dad bought me a puppy from a pet store. He was amazing - my heart dog. But, lesson learned. I'm not sorry I got Sam, but I won't support mills anymore. I'd much rather educate people about them and rescue/go to good breeders.

As for food, I think it's nice when breeders give suggestions but I don't understand how they can police what you feed your dog. Unless it was downright poison, how would they even know?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PoppyKenna. How would they know? In all likelihood they won't. Unless when you sign up for an account at specified dog food company and that company sends a receipt to the breeder? I'm guessing.

In all likelihood there is no dog food sold that is so bad that it makes the puppies sick enough for the buyer to want a "replacement dog" and has to go to the vet.

At most the puppy might get too fat too quickly from eating greasy foods. Or have diarrhea..but in general I don't think there are any brands that would hurt the puppy's development.Perhaps slow it's development. have not as nice a coat. But most dog foods sold today anywhere should be "healthy enough".

Kay..true, there are rescues..but then those dogs are probably a few years old and also might be from puppy mills. Which vary so much in conditions and practices they keep.

No matter. I think the mills in Canada have all long since been put out of business some how. Shut down perhaps.

Again. I was probably lucky both times getting dogs from a pet shop (PJ's) that were both very healthy, happy and smart. No problems what so ever.

I have heard the horror stories. About owners with tons of expensive vet bills. That it can be very bad for some puppies/parents of at some mills.

But, if we could still buy puppies from pet shops..I think I'd still stake a chance. I think we can usually tell which dogs are healthy and shouldn't develop issues...that and even if we do buy from a breeder..that only means there's "less chance" for health issues vs a puppy mill puppy. All dogs can get sick in their lifetimes. No dog is immune.

Any how..my wait begins. :) 7 months or so to go. :) Yet I want my Pug pup NOW!! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts