Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Often confused with service animals, these creatures help people in unseen ways
Rebecca Kempf, a 38-year-old Marion County mom, said her overweight calico cat is the reason she is alive today.
On Aug. 17, 2016, Kempf contemplated suicide. But the cat, named Mouse, soothed her until those feelings passed.
Now Mouse is prescribed as Kempf’s emotional support animal (ESA) — moving the cat beyond pet status, with rights that supersede many rules that apply to lesser beasts.
Read more The value of emotional support animals - News - Ocala.com - Ocala, FL

·
Registered
50 Posts
Some of the Benefits to be in touch emotionally with our pets:

They Help Produce Neurotransmitters.
They Calm Anxiety On Planes.
They Provide Unconditional Love.
They Work In Conjunction With Other Forms Of Treatment.
They Help Regulate Everyday Feelings.
And They Can Help Stabilizing Intense Emotions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’d like to share two sides of this coin.

As the owner of a prescribed ESA (for PTSD/anxiety/depression), I have to say that having a dog who responds to my emotional state is a godsend. Just tonight, when dealing with the stress and pain of a degenerative disc disorder plus impending surgery, I became very depressed. Daisy kept making me pet her until I was feeling more steady. Without her, I’d still be crying my eyes out.

I did luck out with her. Despite a life of cycling through the shelter, she was at least partially trained as an ESA in the past. I had this confirmed by a local trainer who specializes with in training service dogs. That trained response to anxiety and depression has changed my life.

ESA’s have an important job to do, and a valuable role in society.

That said, I’m about to lose my mind over these supposed support animals who are brought out in public and then behave like little monsters. I’ve been nearly bitten by one such, while sitting in the waiting room at my therapist’s office. I’ve even had close calls in grocery stores, where support animals are not permitted. These animals may comfort their owners, but they’re a menace to the public.

If I could make anything change about ESA’s, there would have be three things. First, it would be that there would be mandatory training and certification (not through a web site) before allowing owners to take their dogs out in public. I’d also like business owners to be more clearly informed about the difference between a service animal and a support animal. Lastly, I’d love nothing more than to see these scam registry sites shut down the instant they try to launch. The way they scam people is abhorrent.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts