Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the past few days have been really cold. This morning we are under a windchill warning, the windchill was -40. We have been cooped up and not able to play outside.

Yesterday we played fetch in the living room, practiced a bunch of training things from the boring to the newer ones. We did hide ' seek, chase me, played with our flirt shirt, and tried to go down to the basement (yes, we are still working on that - I doubt it will ever happen though). We also hid some treats in a box and then Lady played rip the box up and spread the pieces all over. Today looks like it will be a variation on more of the same.

I clipped paw-nails, brushed fur, rubbed the tootsies with paw protector, made treats. I am getting the idea that they love this cold snap because of all the attention they are getting. Ha Ha, the joke's on me!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
It's cold here in Idaho too. It's -5 below zero and a wind chill factor that makes if more like -26 below zero.

I've been letting the dogs out for only about 5 to 10 minutes at a time. HaHa and my niece's dog, Zaylee, whom I'm watching, both want in after about 5 minutes. Jaya, my Aussie Shepard mix...she looks at me like I'm nuts for calling her in so soon.

I have left her out for more like 20 to 30 minutes and she seems fine in coming in around that point. She's not really cold, but at least seems happy to have had that much outside time.

Stormy

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
My weather is no where near as bad as you guys but it's still pretty cold, about 3c during the day but below freezing at night.

Cold weathers my favourite, most people seem to stop taking their dogs up the park etc so it's super quiet! Most days we have the park to ourselves :)

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
On one of my other sites, people are complaining about people who don't walk their dogs in winter due to cold, and I'm just :headbash: since they have no idea how dangerous this cold actually is. My mom currently has to go out with her dogs when they pee since they freeze up and can't make it back up the stairs after they do their business.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@FailedSlacker you are absolutely right. I'd rather be safe than sorry. By the time you actually feel the freeze it's too late. The burn lasts a long time after you are inside and it isn't funny! I'd hate to put my dogs through that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts