Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My s/o and I are planning on getting a puppy in June. Due to the sudden passing of their nine year old dog back in December, my parents have decided that they would like to get a puppy as well, preferably from the the same litter as ours. After researching a few breeders, we located a very knowledgeable breeder who unfortunately lives seven hours away from us. If we decide to get puppies from this breeder, we will be spending a total of about 14 hours in the car (though we might spend the night in a hotel) with two puppies and four people. Are there any practical disadvantages to this arrangement? Would it be easier or more convenient to take two cars instead of one? Seven hours in the car with two nine week old puppies sounds like a bit of a handful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hmm... I know I wouldn't want to take two different cars. But how much room is in them? I have an SUV so that wouldn't be a problem with me. I would travel with the pups in a large crate, together. That way they have each other and your car is protected (and they're safer). Is your car big enough for that? If not, then I would take two cars...
Just my rambling thoughts! What breed are you getting?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm... I know I wouldn't want to take two different cars. But how much room is in them? I have an SUV so that wouldn't be a problem with me. I would travel with the pups in a large crate, together. That way they have each other and your car is protected (and they're safer). Is your car big enough for that? If not, then I would take two cars...
Just my rambling thoughts! What breed are you getting?

Thanks so much for responding, CheyAut!

My parents have an SUV, so I assume that we would be taking that car if we didn't take two cars. I do prefer the two car arrangement, but if it's not best for the puppies, I'll suck it up. We are getting Wheaten Terriers.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you prefer two cars, then I see no reason not to go that way. I do think the pups would feel more comfortable together though, but if you only got one and your parents didn't get one, yours would be alone anyhow, so... it's up to what you want to do! :)

Wheatens are cute. I've only known one or two and that wasn't really well, just seen them in my agilty club. Enjoy your pups! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you prefer two cars, then I see no reason not to go that way. I do think the pups would feel more comfortable together though, but if you only got one and your parents didn't get one, yours would be alone anyhow, so... it's up to what you want to do! :)

Wheatens are cute. I've only known one or two and that wasn't really well, just seen them in my agilty club. Enjoy your pups! :)

Yeah, you make a good point, our puppy would normally be alone for the trip home anyway. Now I just have to find a delicate way to bring up and execute the two car scenario!

My parents last dog (the one that died in December) was a Wheaten. She was a great dog, we all loved her very much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts