Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why don't we make a list of foods that dog's can't have?

I know of several and was discussing this at the dog park-I found it hard to believe dog owners (I would say good dog owners imho because their dogs were well trained etc) did not know about simple things like chocolate!!!

So here's what I know is toxic off the top of my head.

Add on, or dispute if you know them to be alright. Lets make a good list!!:D

Also -lets code them B for bad food (i.e. not toxic but not good to feed) and T for toxic (Feel free to add codes too :) )

1) Chocolate -T
2) Black Licorice-T
3) Caffeine-B
4) Grapes/raisins -T
5) Avacodo-T
6) Cooked onions -T
7) Tomoto -B
8) Garlic-B/T?

Also some possibles? Tuna-b/c of the mercury content especially in smaller dogs? :ponder:

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i've read/heard mixed things about garlic myself. we used it regularly to worm our dogs and for fleas when i was a kid and we never had a problem.... but we also fed them grapes and never had a noticable problem. i was just speaking with a vet tech who said "i feed my dogs garlic, but i cannot recommend that you do" bc it may or may not cause the same problems as onions.

i have also read that soy products are bad for your dog.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes Garlic is very controversial-its' an ingredient in a lot of foods and treats as a flavour item. The response from the companies using it is small amounts are OK. Here's a blog I love to follow-a vet student take on it
Nearly-Dr Ferox Garlic Toxicity

With grapes/raisins there were recent incidents of kidney/liver problems associated with eating them. Grape and raisin toxicity in dogs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know a common misconception is pointsietta's (sp?!) but apparently they aren't very toxic at all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts