Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a rant, I really am as nice and positive to the dog as I possibly can be, but seven weeks is a very long time to care for a dog who is stubborn, doesn't learn, has absolutely no motivation, and whose owners complete misrepresented all his behaviors and don't answer messages except to refuse to let me take him to a vet. They also gave me no flea or tick or heartworm prevention for him and he hasn't had any since early January.
He's constantly scratching himself and licking and chewing on his paws and filled with lumps and bumps and now I've seen little brown/black spots on my bed and in the bathroom where I've had to keep him. My pets have all been recently and regularly treated with regular flea tick prevention and don't scratch and vets have found nothing on them.
I have one or two small bites on my lower legs but I'm outside at the dog park and field daily so could be from there. Nothing on my arms.
This dog will maybe eat one meal every day or two days. Some days he'll eat two meals.
Destroys my place and barks non-stop when I leave. Scratches and pounds on the door when I'm home and put him in the bathroom. When loose pees all over my rug.
I always clean immediately with enzymatic pet cleaners. He goes in another spot when I leave the room.
He'll pee and poop non-stop daily in the dog park for an hour or two he'll pee ten or twenty times, marking.
If I walk him with my dog to a little park a few blocks away he'll usually pee at least one or twice. He drinks tons of water non-stop All the time so clearly has to pee more than he does on the leash.

When it's very cold with high winds and wind and cold advisories and snow and it's slippery I don't go for long walks or go to the park for hours. I have a bad knee and can't walk far if it's slippery at my dog hates cold wet weather and refuses to go and limps if I make him.
He literally just runs out my back door loose goes to the bathroom and runs back in shivering violently. Then leaps in my bed curled up under my down comforter. He hates the cold.

I take the shih tzu out leashed with my dog or separately, doesn't matter. If it's not the dog park or field or somewhere he can run loose he stands there and won't go. He will go two days without pooping rather than poop on a leash. He has gone twenty four hours without peeing once and drinking tons as if I keep him in the bathroom. Even the close park sometimes he'll go and sometimes not.
He won't eat treats. He either takes them and spits them out or turns away and won't even smell them. Even watching my dog freaking out literally rolling over and doing every trick he knows to get treats. I praise and pet him and make a big fuss when he pees on walks, or poops. I praise and pet and make a big fuss over my dog when he pees and poops on walks too hoping the little blockhead will learn. I praise him for eating And mix his food to make it better. I even cooked and put first sausage drippings AND steak drippings in the creatures dinner the other night to get him to eat. My dog and cats were going crazy trying to steal it, they couldn't believe I gave him the best feast ever. Every other one of the ten plus dogs I've had completely devoured their meals if I put that level of gravy in their dry food. This dog had that in his canned food with gravy from the can and some dry food mixed in.
Praise doesn't work. Patting doesn't work
Treats and the best yummiest food does nothing. Putting him right in the bathroom and leaving him there consistently until the next walk every time he doesn't go on a walk does nothing.
He doesn't want to or is unable to learn. Try to brush or handle him or examine his paws or open his mouth to check his teeth or if giving meds or I'll try to put a bite of food gently in to get him going and he flips out thrashing.
I raised my younger horse from birth and didn't neuter him until he was ten, unneutered male horses are considered very dangerous and aggressive. I motivated and trained him and no one could tell he wasn't neutered, he is very well trained with no bad behaviors, same for my ancient horse who has a lot of anxiety and can be pretty feisty and dangerous. I've tamed feral cats and trained them to be good for handling and the vey. I've had several large dogs with behavior issues. Never had housebreaking issues unless it was due to age/illness and medications always helped.
Two more weeks and my carpet won't make it. I keep getting frustrated walking this dog for hours in all weather when he won't go and then he sneakily destroys my carpet. And destroys the bathroom and throws himself on the door and keeps me up all night when he's locked in.

He doesn't seem like a normal dog to me. My friends who have had shih tzus say they're tough to housebreak and are very stubborn and hard to train. I can't understand why anyone would want a dog that pees in their house all the time And isn't fun to spend time with.

I can't figure out if he's just cognitively challengrf and can't learn easily or just doesn't care About bonding with people and doesn't want to learn. It took a long for him to just sit when I asked him to. Still doesn't always do it.

On the leash he always goes on the wrong side of wherever I want him to go and goes behind me wraps the leash around my legs and trips me. Gets tangled up in trees, branches. Darts under my dog and tangles both of us everywhere especially on the stairs. I'll be walking right on the wall, he hangs back then charges up the stairs to go through my feet on the side I'm on, not the whole empty side next to me, then blasts right through my dog's legs and stomach and we're all a tangled mess. My dog is super patient with puppies and small dogs. Never fights them just runs away. Has had eight week old puppies literally dangling off his ears chewing. He's started looking annoyed and now just charges ahead and runs right over the shih tzu and knocks him down. I'd bite him if I were him.
I've started walking them late at night and letting my dog loose and working on his heel to save his temper and patience. But every walk every time. It's not a matter of he's trained to walk on one side. It's like he's trying to kill me, lol I know that's dramatic.
Sorry to rant but I've always been able to find some motivator to somehow do basics of training with most animals before
This little guy just drives me crazy. I really do pet him, I praise him, I give him the best food I can, take him to the dog park even though he has absolutely no recall. I try to throw balls for him since he occasionall dhows a mild interest. Usually he goes straight after the most aggressive dogs with resource guarding issues and tries to get their toys. Or barks at dogs who are starting to fight or just trots right into a fight, that was my personal favorite. He still goes right to my cat while the cat is hissing, yowling, spitting, screaming with huge puffed up fur and tail, nails out and swinging at him with paw and nails. He's oblivious to any social cues or caring what people or other animals think about him.

How do I get him to be "normal" and pee when we go outside and not pee inside? His owners swear they take him on a walk twice a day and that's it. Maybe the dog park occasionally for fun but not daily. He supposedly stays home alone all day five days a week with no accidents and is quiet and never destroys things. Not here.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And now I just went to put his harness on to walk him with my dog. Planned to take the stubborn blockhead to the close leashed park. He peed all over my bathroom, that's a step in the wrong direction!!!
I'm about ready to just keep him in my dog's crate until he gets picked up(not serious). Two or three weeks of non-stop crating is probably too long though and yes this is anger talking and not real intent.
He was pretty eager to get out of the bathroom and the lovely stench in there, so he stayed leashed to the bathroom door while I cleaned it up so he can't get near my bedroom carpet so I can take out the stinky bag.
I'll bet he won't pee on the walk so since now he's progressed to sitting in the small bathroom with pee, maybe I should keep him in the crate if he doesn't go on the walk.
I know withholding water isn't good but I don't drink at night if I want a good night's sleep so I'm not getting up a million times a night.
I don't know what to do with him. It's in the teens or lower with the blasted wind so I can't just tie him outside or leave him in a yard even if I had a fenced yard.
If I call the dogsitting company now I'll be too angry and they'll think it's an emergency since it's after hours.

Any message I send now to the owners will be angry and adding on extra charges for cleaning supplies and damages as well as stress and their neglect. I can't go out and buy him diapers now either.

I have pee pads from when my cat with cancer had non-stop diarrhea from chemotherapy but I don't want to encourage my cats or my dog to start using them either. Plus they're expensive and I don't trust the owners to reimburse me for anything.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Gosh, this situation sounds horrible! What if.....

Could you call the dog sitting company and tell them that the client (dog owner) must have clearly misrepresented the behavior/temperament of their dog?

Maybe write down on paper (before calling the company) all the bs that is going on with the dog that was not disclosed to you when you took on the assignment?

Or tell them that you want someone else to finish this long job bc you don't want the stress and bad habits of the dog to affect your dog that you have worked so hard with to be less stressed in life?

Or that you will start crating/ or keeping dog in bathroom with pee pads and they (the company)must reimburse you for all pee pads and cleaning supplies and special foods needed beyond normal dog care? Let them reimburse you--then they can go back and bill client!!

So sorry for all your stress with this dog. Your dog sounds like a very patient saint to share space (and you) with him!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The company only reimbursrsvfor vet bills it turns out. So I have to deal with the owner I'm thinking small claims court.
He finally picked up the shih tzu late last night at least the dog seemed happy to see him.
My cats and dogs seem so happy and relaxed!

Next adventure is in a couple of days but it's my friend's two dogs who my dog already knows pretty well. He liked both of them. One he plays with and the other has some issues but it's only for a few days. And my friend won't be slimy about it. I'll separate the iffy dog if needed. At least my friend is completely honest about her dogs and they're both housebroken!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Soooo happy to hear that your latest "house guest" the picky eater, potty insider lil shiz tzu is back home and not at your house anymore! Wow. That sounded like a wonderful dog sitting assignment. Not! And it stinks that they aren't helping you out with the extra expenses you incurred from them not being honest about their dog's issues. Grrrrr.

Sounds like your next pet sitting project will be a breeze comparatively. I hope so!!

I think your doggie deserves an extra round of his favorite bacon treats for putting up with the lil pest of a dog!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts