Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,

My name is Daniel Lo Re and I am a graduate student at Adelphi University. For my Management of Technology course, my group needed to create a product is unique and creative. We have decided to create a product called the "ROWA" or the Robotic Dog Walker. This is only a hypothetical product and would like to have some of your opinions on its design and features.

The main purpose of the product is to walk your dog either by remote control from your household or on its own through GPS technology. You can pre-program the robot to take your dog out for a walk at a certain time and the path the robot will take. Again this product is hypothetical and assume the GPS technology would function perfectly to detect the terrain.

The ROWA is based on the shape of the automatic vacuum cleaner, i.e the circle part of a cylinder. There are two cameras on the product, one facing forward to watch the terrain and one facing the right side watching the dog. In the front of the product is also the GPS (used to plug in the path you would like the robot to take), a digital picture screen (to show a picture of the owner's face), and a speaker (to broadcast live or pre-recorded commands). On the side of the product is also a chamber containing dog treats ( self-explanatory), a retractable electric leash (optional -a small electric shock will be transmitted to the dog to reprimand bad behavior), and a water spray (a less severe reprimand for initial bad behavior). All of this rests upon four all terrain wheels. The product will come in three sizes with a varying size motor for small, medium, and large size dogs.

Another feature of the product could include training your dog using the prerecorded voice and digital screen to show the correct behavior with a command.

With this device, strangers will not need to be hired to walk your dog when you are not home and you could walk your dog when it rains.

Any comments including possible improvements, negatives, and likes would be much appreciated.

Thank-you for reading!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Wow - that's an interesting idea. And top marks for doing your research - I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback from this forum. My initial reaction was that there's no way I'd let a robot walk my dog - particularly if it involved electric shocks (although I did get the 'small' prefix).

Assuming you could get the ROWA to get from the house to the walking area (can it open doors and lock them once closed?) how will the ROWA deal with different terrain - particularly in the countryside? And, how would you prevent anyone else stealing the dog - or, for that matter, thieves sneaking into the house when the ROWA and pooch get home?

What about dog psychology/behaviour? Would dogs react to commands from a machine - even if it is programmed with the owner's looks and voice?

It's a really interesting idea - and I'm intrigued to see what the rest of the forum members post up.

PS - Have you seen the opening scenes of Robocop?
PPS - I'd prefer a machine that cooked, washed up and did my ironing - and preferably one that wasn't hypothetical :)

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I agree it's an interesting idea and I can appreciate all the thought that must have gone into such a project but I don't think I'd let a robot walk my dog (s), especially not one that used a spray bottle or a shock punishment system. Unless the electric shock was meant for thieves....that would be kind of cool. ;)

I wonder how big the robot would have to be to stop my mastiff from running off or darting across a busy street? Who will pick up the nuggets? (another robot perhaps...I-C U PnPoo :D )
What would prevent someone from just unhooking your dog and stealing it....or taking R2D2 as well?

I had to giggle when I read it was going to show a picture of my face on the robot screen...LOL Would I have to include my angry face, my "good boy" face and my "I have a gun" face too?

I'm sorry -- no offence intended. All ideas have to start somewhere.
Who knows what some of the busier/lazier people of the world will demand in the future....:)
Good Luck with your assignment.
Very creative...Kudos to you, Daniel!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Hey Daniel.

That is interesting though I highly doubt it would work. I have typed and reread my words and have deleted them and typed this instead. I've come to the conclusion that this machine will only cause a law suit.

You have dogs who are sensitive and a shock or spray will make them fearful. You have dogs who are pain tolerant and will only see the shock as a mosquito bite and ignore it. Than you have dogs who love water and will do the bad behavior to get the water sprayed at them (because to them it's a game now.)

And number one worry is, will that robot walking my dog keep him safe? Here in the bush there are many ferral and stray dogs who run in packs. And in other parts of the country, those who live in rural places that have to deal with courgars, bears, foxes and hawks and eagles(for smaller dogs), coyoties, wolves. (Though I've never heard of wolves killing a dog, but it could happen if the wolf pack is hungry enough.)

How will the machine protect my dog from them? Shock him because the other dogs are fighting with him. That would only cause him to fight harder for his life. Spray water on the other dogs? That won't work as they will be fixated on the dog they are trying to fight. Treats are the same thing.

And what if someone walks their dog and sees a robot walking another dog and that dog attacks and lunges for the other dog. The owner will do what they can to keep their dog safe. The robot administers a shock, but it is ignored by the dog who is used to getting shockes.

I'm sorry if this seems harsh but really I would worry for any dog who is walked by a machine. Many things can happen and at least we as humans can do ways to prevent and protect our beloved dogs. Not to mention we can read our dogs body language. (for those of us who really watch how our dogs act and behave.) When they are tensing their body, straight tail, ears foreward, hairs on end, ready to fight and ways to prevent it. Will the robot be able to read my dog's body language and act accordingly?

Again it is a neat idea and if you find a way to keep our dogs safe, I say it could be a great thing. But that would take out the joy of spending time with your dog outside. Maybe for people who see dogs as just an object to own or care only about 1/2 the time would see this as a great thing.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
interesting idea, for sure, but not something i would ever even consider... one of the best things about having a dog is that i never have to go for a walk alone...

also, i don't train with aversive methods... the spray in the face and electric shock are huge turn-offs... plus... my dog weighs about 120lbs... it would have to be a pretty big robot to keep him from dragging it off... and if he couldn't, would the robot know to get out of the way of traffic/other pedestrians/kids/other dogs/trash cans, etc that were left out on the normal path?

sorry, not trying to be negative about it... i could possibly see the value of say a robot helper to walk dogs if you are elderly or disabled... but not an unattended robot walking a dog...

very clever idea tho :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
How about a robot that could walk injured/old/overweight dogs indoors? A bit like a fancy treadmill for example? There must be times when it's not OK for a dog to be outside on a walk, but they still need some sort of exercise. Just a thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts