Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Male and female 9.5 week old Miniature Pinscher pups. These two are little terrors already and will be going to their new homes soon where they can ferret out and rat to their hearts content.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Oh my, they're precious!

I love your sig. It's so true and it amazes me how many people call them Miniature Dobermans.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I studied the breed for years and it still amazes me the number of people on websites including the MPCA who have fallen for the "theory" since no basis in fact that the German Pinscher is responsible for the creation of the Miniature Pinscher (Zwergpinscher). In fact, the German Pinscher (Deutscherpinscher) is a smooth coated standard Schnauzer. In the mid 1700's for some unknown reason, standard wire haired Schnauzers started throwing smooth coated pups. To date, no one knows why or how this happened but by approx 1894 or 1895 with the inception of the Pinscher-Schnauzer Klub of Germany, the breed was recognized seperately from the Schnauzer so long as there was at least 3 generations of pedigree and given the name Deutshcerpinscher, English translation, German Pinscher. Now, how a breed that did not come about for over a 100 years after the Zwergpinscher have anything to do with its creation is simply ridiculous. But there are many GP breeders who have fallen for this same garbage and post it on their websites which tells me that even they have no clue of their breeds history. Granted, the Miniature Pinscher is found in todays German Pinscher. During WWII Werner Jung of Germany was able to escape with what was purported to be 3 registered female German Pinschers. Unfortunately with no males to be found he turned to German farmers for 5 oversized Zwergpinscher males as breed stock. By the end of the 1950's, he had resurrected the breed which is what we see today. So if anything, the Zwergpinscher is responsible for the German Pinscher. The Zwergpinscher breed stock was determined by Dr Frederick Reichenbach. After of years of study and research he was able to determine that the breed was soley produced by crossing a smooth coated Dachshund with an Italian Greyhound (Miniature Greyhound, as they were known as then). He published his writings in 1836 (not 1936 as the MPCA home page reports). This is the only documented writings on this breed. All other breed stock is purely people guessing then others just following up and using without confirming. German farmers are responsible for the creation of the Zwergpinscher. Needing a ratter for farms they turned to Germany's favorite breed, the Dachshund. Known for its ability to go to ground and to burrows to dig out vermin. Unfortunately, they were not fast enough to cover open ground especially the area found on farms. The Miniature Greyhound was found in Germany at that time and what most do not realize is that it is fact is a ferreting and ground hunting breed itself. it was enevitable that these two would cross and the result made for an excellent and swift ratter. The Miniature Pinscher is one of the oldest of the "Terrier" family of dogs. Terriers are the only breeds of dogs created by man for the sole purpose of killing other animals. They possess a very strong prey drive, in addition most were bred as feral dogs. Little human contact which is why even today they can be somewhat difficult to train. Bred to free think and reason on their own, they can be what many describe as stubborn but in acuality they are just acting as they were bred to act.
The tenacity and protective nature is if the statement is true is what Karl Frederich Louis Dobermann saw and noted when he allegedly remarked that he wanted to make one 15 times larger. The overall appearance in the Dobermann was in all likelihood due to the appearance of the Miniature Pinscher originally. Cropped and docked. It was most likely later that the reason for crop and dock of Dobermann's Pinscher was to eliminate the possibility of the dogs ears or tail being grabbed. But in all likelihood initially, Dobermann himself as what has been aledged that he upon seeing the Miniature Pinscher and liked the tenacity and appearance most likely cropped and docked for the aggressive appearance. In the case of the Zwergpinscher, cropping was essential as German farmers discovered soon as they were continously mending torn ears from rat and mice attacks when they put their heads in burrows. Being farm dogs, for generations farmers have docked tails of dogs to avoid breakage especially due to horses or cows stepping on them. In the case of the Dobermann, he unfortunately was not able to see his breed to fruition. His passing in 1894 brought about the introduction of other breeds that in a sense in my opion took away from his ideal breed. The possibility of the Great Dane and the English Greyhound increased the overall size of the dog. Trying to correct this the introduction of the Manchester Terrier to refine the dogs head appearance (keep in mind the MT was not introduced to Germany prior to 1895. I am like most that believe that the Rot, Beaurceron and un recognized German Pinscher were most likely the original breed stock for his Pinscher. A breeder of GSD's and Rots at the time some have ventured that possibly the GSD may have been used but the body structure would have been different where the natural protective instincts, build and body shape of the Beaurceron clearly would produce the perfect protection dog.
Unfortunately we will never know as Dobermann did not keep records of his breeding.
I have included a pic of Zeke, he is my purebred German Pinscher. If you take away the cropped ears and docked tail and look solely at the head shape you will see that in actuality there is no resemblance to the Miniature Pinscher. As puppies, Miniature Pinschers will resemble either an Italian Greyhound or a Dachshund ie: head shape and and overall appearance less the legs mind you. This is just based on the head and face. The other pic is of my breeding Miniature Pinscher stud, Podo. As you can see, outside of color there is no true similarity. This same confusion with Black & Tan along with cropped ears and tail is why the confusion has carried on with Miniature Pinschers reference to Miniature Doberman. That and the fact that when the Miniature Pinscher first arrived in the AKC show ring in the 1920's known at that time as simply "Pinscher", the AKC for conformation purposes noted, "must appears as a Dobermann in miniature".
This poor selection of wording has yet to be lived down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts