Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Cosmo has gotten little bumps in the past from his allergies but this time its so bad that he's missing much of the fur on the back of his thighs, and it looks all red and bumpy because he's been chewing it so much. He also got a hole in his foot that was bleeding about the size of a dime just from chewing on it. When I bathed him with his special shampoo this morning I noticed bumps along the skin of his "ankles" (the thin part between that fragile bone dogs have on their ankle area) and I noticed some underneath his chin as well. The rash runs mainly from his lower tummy to his thighs.

Due to his persistent chewing I decided to go ahead and get a cone for the poor guy so he will stop chewing himself raw and give the wounds time to heal. I'm considering they're just itchy because he keeps itching them, like when you have a rash and it gets worse after you scratch it - however it is a recent flare up so I'm going to try a bland diet to see if it's any of the basic things he's getting in his dog food (chicken, rice, carrots, etc)

I may have to do this for a period of time though, and I was wondering if anyone had some ideas for foods I could feed him while I'm weeding out the no no ingredients that would also keep him healthy and meet all the requirements a dog needs?

I don't want to just buy him new kibble because if it ends up being bad, food can be expensive and I can't really find a small bag of what I'm going for, I don't want to waste a whole bag or make anything worse so I'm going with bland.

He's also done really well on slice and serve so I don't want to change to kibble, but there's not a lot of options in the slice and serve world unless I want to pay 30+ dollars a week (I don't want to pay 30+ dollars a week)

Thanks!

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
have you tried adding coconut oil to the diet? also can apply coconut oil on him. whats your budget for food? also consider for time being apoquel? id also get checked by vet to make sure its nothing else

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have you tried adding coconut oil to the diet? also can apply coconut oil on him. whats your budget for food? also consider for time being apoquel? id also get checked by vet to make sure its nothing else
He was thoroughly examined and tested and it's simply allergies so I know it's nothing else. I currently spend about 13 dollars a week on his food, so around 50 dollars a month.

We do use coconut oil and his shampoo has tea tree oil in it.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I had a dog who had seasonal allergies. They were not food allergies, more environmental. There were a few times, he got a staph infection from chewing on his skin. This required a round of antibiotics and a few times he needed a short course of prednisone to stop the inflammation.

This is just one dog and my experience with that dog but this is what helped my dog and was done on the advice of my vet. Since his allergies flared up seasonally, at the first sign of itchiness, I gave him Benadryl at the recommended dose for his size and gave it daily until whatever pollen was causing the reaction was less intense. Regardless of the source of an allergy an antihistamine can help many dogs. If you haven't, you might ask your vet about this.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
For a food allergy you could try either doing a prey model raw diet that's commercial made Supplemental Raw Diets for Pets: Raw Frozen Grinds , or if you are adventureous just prepare the PMR diet yourself, or cook for your dog BUT add a supplement like Nupro to make sure any nutritional holes are covered. If you cook you'd want at least half the diet to be made up of meat, more is better. The rest can be a carb like potato, sweet potato, or quinoa, with some veggies. The less ingredients the better since you are trying to figure out an allergy. If neither of those are doable for you then consider trying a limited ingredient commercial diet like Natural Balance.

Remember that whatever treats you use have to match the diet you are feeding or you'll undo the work you are putting in. What I used to do is just offer a bit of whatever meat protein was in the food, so if the food was beef I'd cook him some beef and use that as his treat.

He'll need to be on the diet for at least a month to really tell if it's working, but you will probably see less itching a lot sooner if it's the food.

My boy has environmental allergies, and I usually start out allergy season with benedryl but sooner or later it always seems to fail so I'll take him to the vet and he'll get a prescription for a stronger allergy medicine. Last year it was temaril P, this year it's Apoquil. I hate giving either of those, but the alternative is him scratching himself raw and potentially getting yeast and staph infections from it.

Reactions: cos

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For a food allergy you could try either doing a prey model raw diet that's commercial made Supplemental Raw Diets for Pets: Raw Frozen Grinds , or if you are adventureous just prepare the PMR diet yourself, or cook for your dog BUT add a supplement like Nupro to make sure any nutritional holes are covered. If you cook you'd want at least half the diet to be made up of meat, more is better. The rest can be a carb like potato, sweet potato, or quinoa, with some veggies. The less ingredients the better since you are trying to figure out an allergy. If neither of those are doable for you then consider trying a limited ingredient commercial diet like Natural Balance.

Remember that whatever treats you use have to match the diet you are feeding or you'll undo the work you are putting in. What I used to do is just offer a bit of whatever meat protein was in the food, so if the food was beef I'd cook him some beef and use that as his treat.

He'll need to be on the diet for at least a month to really tell if it's working, but you will probably see less itching a lot sooner if it's the food.

My boy has environmental allergies, and I usually start out allergy season with benedryl but sooner or later it always seems to fail so I'll take him to the vet and he'll get a prescription for a stronger allergy medicine. Last year it was temaril P, this year it's Apoquil. I hate giving either of those, but the alternative is him scratching himself raw and potentially getting yeast and staph infections from it.
EDIT: what the heck! Don't know where the thumbs down came from but I sure didn't mean it!
Anyway
Thanks Rain! You're always helpful :) I may give these a go! My grandparents vet made some recommendation so maybe I'll combine the two or try one if the other fails. Thanks again!

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Would pay to get some lotion too to calm the skin down. i know you dont want to do kibble but what about natural balance as it has so few ingredients could be worth a go. what do you mean by slice and serve? what is he eating atm and what protien?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts