Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I wanted to start this thread
For anyone who like myself, is new to the doggy dog world
And just became a nurturer of a brand new love puppy

So here's the thing I'll be shopping tomorrow in the morning
for some puppy products, here's where you come in

List all the puppy necessities products you all each enjoy or is a *MUST* when bringing a new furball to the house.

Foods, Hygiene Products, Toys, types of leashes, scoopers you get the jist.

-List

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
+ Patience
+ Nature's Miracle (enzymatic cleaning spray)
+ crate
+ copies of your puppy's medical/vaccination records to carry with you
+ Digital camera
+ the knowledge that puppyhood sucks, you will almost certainly regret your decision, and it will all be way more than worth it in the end ;)

Not strictly necessary, but make life much easier:
+ Kong or IQ ball
+ Playpen/ex-pen
+ flirt pole
+ Calypso really likes plush toys, although when she was a baby she liked her rope toy, too
+ clicker (and kikopup's YouTube videos, of course)
+ sense of humor

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Crate, collar, lead, food bowl, water bowl, dental chews, nylabones, puppy size toys

Reactions: shadowkins

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Crate
Collar
ID tags
Harness
Leash
Flea/tick preventative
Heartworm pills
Vaccine copies
Toys, particurily Kong and Nylabone
Clicker
PR books
Shampoo
Brush
Toothbrush and paste
Ear cleaning supplies
Nail clippers and nail grinder
Camera!
Poop bags
Natures miricle
Food and bowls

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Don't forget poop scooper worming and flea treatment

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
As far as food... I would go with an all-stages formula, as opposed to a puppy-specific formula.

Lots of options, go with whatever your pup does best on. I think the best way to go about it is to decide how much you want to spend on dog food, then find the best possible kibble in that price range.

I feed Fromm Surf & Turf. I've also had good luck with TOTW.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Towels, they come in handy.

Paper towels

Brush and comb. Depending on breed you may also need an undercoat rake, furminator, slicker brush, scissors, and clippers.

Gonna echo patience, lots of patience, if you can find extra grab it.

Depending on breed baby wipes can come in handy.

Depending on breed a good vacuum.

Depending on breed and where you live coats and sweaters.

The emergency number of your vet.

Reactions: KayWilson and crazy

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Roxycaekz, if you are interested in specific brands--this thread starts off mostly talking about collars and leashes, but then broadens into toy brands and other dog products.

The specifics that I would recommend in particular are:

+ Bully sticks: definitely Red Barn. They are the least stinky and, in my experience, last longer (i.e. are bigger). Also no artificial coloring!
+ Plush toys: Calypso loves her some Kyjen/Plush Puppies (Hide-A-Squirrel, beehive, toughsnake...and her octopus, she really really loves her oversize octopus)
+ Food puzzles: Kong, IQ ball
+ Dry (non-refrigerator-requiring) training treats: Zuke's Mini-Naturals, freeze-dried liver

I am not sure how much of those I would consider absolute necessities, though.

For food, it depends on what you can afford and what you consider important in a food (i.e. not getting ingredients from China, no artificial coloring, all organic ingredients, high protein, etc).

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I'll add:

Good enzyme cleaner
No chew spray
LOTS of chew toys/bully sticks
A ball
pet insurance or a special savings account for vet emergencies
harness (because if they pull on a collar they can seriously hurt their neck)
Kong toys of all sorts
Paper towels and lots of them
Pee pads (if you choose, we didn't use them because we preferred to just watch Tessa like a hawk and put her out constantly)
A puppy bed/blanket (wouldn't spend too much, since she'll probably eat it:))
Treats/training treats
Maybe an ID tag with her name and your contact info
Puppy shampoo
brush
nail clippers
Crate and/or ex pen

Also, I feed Tessa Acana duck an potato it's an ALS food and is a limited ingredient because she has allergies.

Oh and LOADS of patience; because that cuddly little baby will soon become a sly evil little monster that will make you cry/regret getting her, but it's all worth suffering through the puppy blues to get to the adult dog that you will adore for years to come :)

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
For brands:

Food: Blue Buffalo Wilderness, TOTW, Fromm, The Honest Kitchen, Orijen, ect

Toys: Kong, Nylabone, Tuffy

Treats: Zuke's Mini Naturals, Bil*Jac Little Jacs, freeze dried chicken liver (Cheerios are great too)

Collars/harnesses/leashes/ID tags: Ruffwear, Puppia, Kong, Hilltop Leather Shop, Twisted Pet Designs, Collar Mania, Doggone Tags, Mattie & Margot, Hounds 2 Designs, K-Nine Couture

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Add Lupine to the brands list. Its often availible in privately owned pet stores and vets offices, isn't expensive and is good quality with a good warrenty (if your dog chews through it they'll replace it!).

·
Registered
888 Posts
If your pup will need to be groomed professionally, I would start looking for a reputable groomer and bring your pup in as soon as possible, just to have it handled , nails done etc. My little Nala went from the breeder, to my house and the next day she was at the groomer's ( my friend ) to have her little nails tipped...it was more motion than actual tipping.
If you're hesitant to go to a shop see if you can get her use to nail clippers, combs, brushes etc. Touch her feet , look in her mouth, look in her ears and so on...don't let her get away with refusing either... you'll be thankful down the line....and definitely get her kennel trained.

·
Registered
685 Posts

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
*Collar
*6ft leash
*Name tag
*Water & Food bowls
*Quality Food
*Antlers (for chewing: I find them a need)
*Puppy Kong (essential at giving you a time out and keeping puppy busy even when you're not home)
*Toothbrush and toothpaste (important to start getting them use to it early)
*Shampoo (something easy on skin like natural oatmeal)
*Ear cleaner (important to get them use to it and essential after swimming and baths)
*Dremel (for nails- we don't use one specific for pets but you can. We like them better than clippers)
*Brush (type depends on your puppy's coat)
*Plenty of toys (stuffed, rubber, etc- a good teething toy is Nylabone teething keys)
*20ft leash for training recalls safely outdoors while giving puppy room to run
*Grannick's bitter apple spray (to prevent chewing on "bad" things like furniture)
* a good vet!!! (Heartworm preventative)

These are our "essentials" that we don't go without. We no longer need the bitter apple spray but it came in VERY handy during the teething period. She still has her puppy Kong and I love it- we leave her with a frozen stuffed kong every day when we go to work.
Make sure you handle your pup and get them use to your hands everywhere. Ears, eyes, nails, between toes, tail, etc. You will be very grateful later when you have a dog that allows it because you got them use to it early. Same with tooth brushing. I know some people don't consider brushing puppy teeth necessary because they'll fall out soon but it's a very important period to teach them what brushing is. We started brushing the week we got her which is when she was 8 weeks old. She loves it now and will roll over on her back to let you brush her. Same with ear cleaning. We like Virbac Epi-Otic (you can buy from your vet or Amazon).
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
*Grannick's bitter apply spray (to prevent chewing on "bad" things like furniture)
Posted via Mobile Device
I totally agree with using Grannick's; Tessa laughed in the face of the Petsmart no name brand and the Nature's Miracle bitter apple, but Grannick's really works (if in doubt; I hear you can use a tiny bit of tabasco sauce for walls but it stains and can cause gastric upset)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts