Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we were in the park today, and a doberman twice the size of Bubby breaks off the chain that is strapped to a tree. It charges at me and Bubby and its a dog park, Bubby aint on a leash. Even if he was it wouldnt change what had happend ;P
Anyway, Bubby jumps infront of me and the doberman almost grabs him by his throat, but Bubby, the smaller and pudgy puppy, grabs him by the throat and slings him/her to the ground. I grab Bubby and hes relaxed but he wont take his eye of the dog. The owners finally come down there and get their dog who is bloody and I think close to death since he got his throat, and they tell me I'm the irresponsible owner not keeping my insane mutt on a leash when THEIR dog broke off its leash which it NEEDED and Bubby didnt even move torwards it, just simply acted with self defense. The owners of the dobbie were slow at gathering their things to take the dog to the vet so I highly doubt it survived, but it wasnt Bubby's fault. This may sound like it was Bubby's fault and Im taking his side because he's my baby but seriously, it wasnt his fault.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Well we were in the park today, and a doberman twice the size of Bubby breaks off the chain that is strapped to a tree. It charges at me and Bubby and its a dog park, Bubby aint on a leash. Even if he was it wouldnt change what had happend ;P
Anyway, Bubby jumps infront of me and the doberman almost grabs him by his throat, but Bubby, the smaller and pudgy puppy, grabs him by the throat and slings him/her to the ground. I grab Bubby and hes relaxed but he wont take his eye of the dog. The owners finally come down there and get their dog who is bloody and I think close to death since he got his throat, and they tell me I'm the irresponsible owner not keeping my insane mutt on a leash when THEIR dog broke off its leash which it NEEDED and Bubby didnt even move torwards it, just simply acted with self defense. The owners of the dobbie were slow at gathering their things to take the dog to the vet so I highly doubt it survived, but it wasnt Bubby's fault. This may sound like it was Bubby's fault and Im taking his side because he's my baby but seriously, it wasnt his fault.

Was this dog running at you in an aggressive manner? Do you know this dog was really going to attack yours? Charging is not necessarily to attack, I have been charged by dogs who want to play. I think different steps, such as you hollering at maybe even whipping the leash at the dog could have prevented yours from harming theirs. Yes yours harmed the other dog. Understandable the adrenaline rush prevents clear minded thinking sometimes.

I do not think this is a good situation and you should reconsider taking your dog to dog parks since this experience may suede him if a dog is being playful. Your dog went for the throat....I wish you had been a bit more compassionate towards these people with their dog being brutally attacked as it sounds by your own.

I agree if their dog was aggressive its their fault for the dog being in the park but your dog is the one who caused physical damage in the end.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the dog was barking and pulling on the chain, then it started snarling and broke off and Im 99.9% sure it was going to attack one or both of us. Yeah but he's never even showed aggression, so I think I'm still safe at taking him to dog parks, but I will keep him on a leash the next few times just incase the memory of this attack comes up. I dont want an innocent dog getting hurt :(

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
No the dog was barking and pulling on the chain, then it started snarling and broke off and Im 99.9% sure it was going to attack one or both of us. Yeah but he's never even showed aggression, so I think I'm still safe at taking him to dog parks, but I will keep him on a leash the next few times just incase the memory of this attack comes up. I dont want an innocent dog getting hurt :(
The other thing to keep in mind too is people will take dogs who have behavioral issues and who fight to the dog park. Your pet is your responsibility, I would steer clear of a park with a dog like the dobie to keep yours safe, next time he may be the unlucky one. There have been times where we drove 1 hr to a park with a lake for ours to swim and people have an aggressive super dominant dog in there and ours can't swim that day. It does suck, some people do not have a clue. Also never be afraid to ask these people to leave because you feel it is unsafe, or even ask why the dog is on a leash. If they then say "he is only on leash because he plays rough and it scares dogs" ask them to still remove the dog because it clearly should not be there. I doubt it will work but at least it shows people that others are responsible and realize their pet is out of control (kind of like a slap in the face ;) ) I have done it :)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
bad bad bad idea...really bad idea. Seriously.

If he damaged the other dog, to the point where you think the dog died, that was serious aggression.

When dogs fight, it is highly ritualized..meaning its kinda like a dance...lots of teeth, lots of noise, but no one gets seriously hurt. They don't fight to kill. If your dog did that much damage to a similar sized dog then that means he intended to kill the dog, which is a whole new can of worms.

If your dog is attacked at a dog park and reacts this way (no reason he wouldn't) both dogs owners are equally liable for damages... there would be no excaping it. Also keeping him on leash at the dog park is a BAD IDEA. On leash dogs are waay more likely to act aggressively (they feel trapped) and the collar pulling on the neck releases stress hormones (which make an attack more likely yet again)

Also when stuff like this happens you have to call animal control. Even if its not your fault.

You have now opened yourself to all kinds of liability because no report was made. You have to get a report done to prove your dog wasn't at fault.

Also you may want to invest in pepperspray, a big stick, or steeltoe boots. Another side effect of this incident is that your dog has learned that he must defend himself because you wont defend him. This can make him more aggressive.

Its your job to defend your dog. I would have put a fist in that dogs face before it got near mine.

Not trying to attack you, so please dont' take it that way, but your responsiblity with this dog has just increased ALOT.

also please read this article....uber important, and just might have saved that dobie.
http://leerburg.com/dogfight.htm

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh well once you think about it that is true :/
I didnt call animal control because to me, the family looked like a bunch of red necks that would do anything to get a little money and a dog they picked up at the flea market and didnt socialize it enough :/ Yeah its harsh to say that but its true, and since they didnt do anything but yell and critisise me I didnt really think about it once.
I didnt really defend him because well it happend so fast. Seriously, like in three seconds the dog was off the chain and on the ground after Bubby striked o_O
When I take him to the humane society to look at the dogs there he never shows aggression and wags his tail and jumps up on the cages to try and greet the dogs, no agressive or scared tensions at all.
I just dont really know what to do right now. I feel like I let my dog down for not reacting fast enough o.o

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Oh well once you think about it that is true :/
I didnt call animal control because to me, the family looked like a bunch of red necks that would do anything to get a little money and a dog they picked up at the flea market and didnt socialize it enough :/ Yeah its harsh to say that but its true, and since they didnt do anything but yell and critisise me I didnt really think about it once.
I didnt really defend him because well it happend so fast. Seriously, like in three seconds the dog was off the chain and on the ground after Bubby striked o_O
When I take him to the humane society to look at the dogs there he never shows aggression and wags his tail and jumps up on the cages to try and greet the dogs, no agressive or scared tensions at all.
I just dont really know what to do right now. I feel like I let my dog down for not reacting fast enough o.o
Im sorry, try not to feel bad, things happen. Just learn from it....perhaps take a wider berth when walking around dogs that are that arroused?

I would just hate for these people to find a way to sue you if it wasn't your fault, it happens all the time.

A girl in another forum had a lab attack her on leash dog (lab later died from its injuries) and the guy, instead of helping break up the fight, went inside, got a gun and blew the womans dog away, infront of everyone. it became a huge legal mess, from what I understand.

YOu may want to (since you mentioned you like training) is work on your dogs inpluse control, just in case he encounters rude dogs in the future, lots of dogs are dog friendly, but have short fuses, you want that fuse as long as you can get it.

Good Luck

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wouldn't be so sure the dog was aiming to attack as my Lurcher has on lead aggression and will lunge, bark, pull and act very aggressive when a dog is at a distance. As soon as the dog approaches he couldn't be friendlier. Mind you all dogs are different and not all so easy to read. And i understand you were in shock and to go for the throat was just instinct for Bubby. I do hope the other dog was ok as poor socialization is down to the owner not the dog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts