Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lighthearted look at the ups and downs of beagle ownership.

Im not new to this game Ive had dogs all my life, and Im onto my second beagle. Benny was a beautiful boy who lived until he was 15 and when we decided to adopt another dog to be a friend to Murphy our eye was drawn to beagles.

The first pitfall of a beagle is the look.. They retain that puppy look all their lives so they get away with murder. Those huge soft ears that wistful look and the soft little whine accompanied by the tilt of the head is almost sure to get them everything they want.

They are just too cute for their own good,

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Cuteness has its drawbacks , everyone wants to hug them and they might not mind but it makes you into the big bad momma when you have to say no to children who 'just wanna hug the cute doggy' ....again

Even if youre hard hearted enough to say no to small children there is the beagle stare to contend with. This normally happens when there is food around. They have a special look.. It says 'I love you , you are my world , I would lay down my life for you. So why aren't you sharing? Cant you see Im hungry? Im starving I havent eten for so long I cant remember and Im desperate ...pleeeease' One firend had two beagles who got into a cupboard and ate 15 kg of dry food between them, she came home and found them spread eagled on the floor she quickly phoned the vet who said 'for gods sake dont let them drink' She rushed them in and luckily the vet was able to make them vomit (much to their disgust) but it was touch a go for a while just sheer over eating. These dogs have the doggy version of prader willi syndrome..

And dont think you will escape by eating outside the house they will greet you and sniff your mouth finding the tell tale signs of treachery on your breath, by that stray crumb on your clothes or the grease on your fingers. The look they give you is one of deep disappointment and disgust at you...the Judas who has eten food without them.... How dare you? They expected better from you this must mean you dont love them... and they walk away with an air of total abandonment. Leaving you feeling like a total monster.
This is why about 99% of beagles are morbidly obese!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beagles are pack dogs, they like to be part of a pack and if you don't have 20 other beagles they will find someone or something to make into a pack.
Normally this is you, when you sit down they sit on you , you lay down they lay on you. They love you so they want to be close to you ..the closer the better. I have phsyio for my hip problem and part of that includes exercises I have to lay on the floor lifting my hips and George helps by laying across my stomach .. He keeps my chair warm for me and allows me a good 4 inches to sit on.. He inspects the bed and the pillows before we go to bed, he runs upstairs ahead of us jumps up and rolls on the bed just to make sure any lumps in the mattrass are smoothed out... This dedication to my comfort has to be admired. They need to be with you at all times, George even sits at the bar on pub day..

If they don't have a human to lay on (sorry with), they will find someone else or another pet to cuddle up to.
This isnt a problem in our house because Murphy loves cuddles too but I spoke to one lady who adopted a beagle but had to return it to the rescue because it sat on her cat and her other little dog who were terrified of this sudden attention.
Beagles are not a dog for anyone who has issues about doggy cuddles. If you dont want you dog to be up close and personal this is not the dog for you.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If there are any beagle owners on the forum please join in ....

There are two very distictive things about a beagle the first is the voice. For such a smal dog they have an amazing voice and vocal range they bark ike any dog and they howl or bay when hunting or sounding the alarm and that can be a stunning experience for anyone not used to beagle voices. The range is amazing and its not a single tone howl like most dogs beagles have a multi toned howl seen in many hounds. Their canverous mouth acts like an amplifier and the sound they produce seems impossible for such a small dog. Beagles are vocal and they use their voices to tell you they are hungrey , need to go out, there is an intruder or just because they are happy. If you want a peaceful dog maybe a beagle isnt for you.

The second distictive feature about a beagle is their ears, those long elegant ears soft as silk and just as cute as anything mean they can hear a pin drop or a candy wrapper a mile away nothing escapes them. This is a drwback in other ways too because like many long eared breeds they can suffer the most awful ear infections it is essential if you have a beagle that ears are checked on a daily basis because infections can flare up in the blink of an eye. A beagle ear is a micro climate for bugs, it is a perfect breeding place for all sorts of nasty fungi and bugs and given the chance your beagles ears will take on a life all of their own. So keep a very close eye on the ears...
One strange feature about these ears is that once a beagle nose has engaged a scent the ears seem to stop working.

A neighbours son proudly told me about his beagle having got her training certificate and passing obedience exams.. He was 100% sure she would listen..That was until he let her off the lead and she caught the scent of a rabbit.. All he could see was the red blinking light on her collar bouncing across the fields. He, his wife and his dad spent hours searching the fields for her. She was found happy muddy and safe but that was the end of her off lead adventures.

Even at 14 years old and virually blind I had to be very careful with Benny .He had learned three routes to walk but one morning I saw his tail go stiff as a rod and begin to quiver,

I knew the warning signs but before I could grab him he was off.Not very quickly but just quick enough to stay two paces ahead of me for 45 minutes while he chased a scent.
Never confuse a beagle with a border collie these are not dogs who live to serve you they are dogs who live life to the full and if that means chasing rabbits so be it..

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm accustomed to prey drive in sighthounds... Managing a dog who is triggered just by the scent of a rabbit which was somewhere in the area a few hours ago doesn't bear thinking about...

Mad Murphy, this may be off topic, but I know you were wondering about George's size a while back - have you come across Beagle-Harriers? Beagle-Harrier - Wikipedia

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm accustomed to prey drive in sighthounds... Managing a dog who is triggered just by the scent of a rabbit which was somewhere in the area a few hours ago doesn't bear thinking about...

Mad Murphy, this may be off topic, but I know you were wondering about George's size a while back - have you come across Beagle-Harriers? Beagle-Harrier - Wikipedia
Actually we have and we have also come across several knowledgeable beagle owners who have pointed him out and remarked that in their opinion he looks like a beagle harrier . One man is a dedicated beagle owner/breeder so I think he should have a good idea of what one looks like although I have been reading about oversized beagles.. So who knows? ..Given that DNA tests are not 100% and that we dont really mind what he is I tend to stick to beagle(ish) when describing him!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Having had a beagle mix many years ago, I can attest to the fact that they are completely driven and controlled by their nose. Once that nose engages in something 'interesting', their hearing and sight become very selective, excluding anything that does not, in their mind, advance their quest to follow their nose. It can be very frustrating for us, when we seem to cease to exist, when they are on a nose quest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts