Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Four days ago on Friday 19th February 2021 me and my partner had to have our 12 year old female Dalmatian put to sleep because she had bad arthritis and was in uncontrollable pain so it was the kindest thing to do. My partner brought her up from 6 weeks old and I was with her for 8 years after moving in with my partner. The Dalmatians name was Daisy May and the loving bond I had with her was amazing, she loved me unconditionally and now she’s gone I’m heartbroken because she was like my daughter and it hurts like hell to not have her anymore I’m hoping my partner can feel like having another dog in the future as she said she didn’t want any more dogs because Daisy May was the second Dalmatian she had to put to sleep and it was too traumatising which I totally respect, but it would break my heart to have spend the rest of my life without the companionship of a dog in my life.

·
Registered
Z, Rescue Mutt
128 Posts
Aw, that's terrible. I understand the pain of losing a dog- I'm so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aw, that's terrible. I understand the pain of losing a dog- I'm so sorry for your loss.
Thank you kensi, I totally respect my partners decision to not wanting another dog because she’s hurting from losing her baby girl, the bond between a man and a dog is priceless and I have been through so much and done so much with Daisy May Dalmatian and she adored me so that’s so hard to not want ever again and I see people walking their dogs on Blackpool promenade where we live and I look at the the dogs and think wow what an amazing bond between those dogs and their owners, it’s like a drug.

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts
The pain of losing a loved pet is the price we pay for the love we have shared; and the greater the love, the deeper the pain.

If it helps, the Blue Cross has a pet bereavement counselling service.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pain of losing a loved pet is the price we pay for the love we have shared; and the greater the love, the deeper the pain.

If it helps, the Blue Cross has a pet bereavement counselling service.

Thank you, every positive suggestion helps greatly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The other night me and my partner were sat on the sofa watching tv and my partner said I don’t want to worry you, but I’ve just seen Daisy May sitting by your side for a brief second then she disappeared and I think it was her coming to assure us she was no longer in pain before passing over to the other side which was a great comfort to me.

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts
I have heard people say similar things. I'm glad it brought you both some comfort.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I feel your pain and also the knee jerk reaction of not wanting another dog. Can you imagine if you lost a child and someone at the funeral said ,, 'dont worry I know where you can get another one' Yet these are the things many people say when we lose a dog. They are no less a loved one than a child,

I hope this is ok.. This is the link to something I wrote when Benny died. It was how I felt at the time.

Now George and Murphy fill our days with love and muddy paws but at the time I wanted to physically smack people who talked about another dog.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I feel your pain and also the knee jerk reaction of not wanting another dog. Can you imagine if you lost a child and someone at the funeral said ,, 'dont worry I know where you can get another one' Yet these are the things many people say when we lose a dog. They are no less a loved one than a child,

I hope this is ok.. This is the link to something I wrote when Benny died. It was how I felt at the time.

Now George and Murphy fill our days with love and muddy paws but at the time I wanted to physically smack people who talked about another dog.
Yes what you said makes perfect sense to me because Daisy May was our daughter and not just a dog.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Yes what you said makes perfect sense to me because Daisy May was our daughter and not just a dog.
She was absolutly beautiful.. She is going to be a part of your lives for a long time because as the pain starts to ease you start to remeber all the good time and her name will be in conversation more . You will think of the fun times and be able to laugh at the memories.
It takes time, but you will get there. Another dog? dont push it let it happen if its meant to be it will and if not then its not, but you will always have those moments you shared with Daisy May..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes those eyes were very expressive indeed and she was the most placid people loving dog ever, she was very vocal as well and understood every single word anyone said and she was a great guard dog as well and protective over us too. She never wanted for anything and her tail waggled from the moment she was born until she took her last breath. She had the happiest life any dog could have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She was absolutly beautiful.. She is going to be a part of your lives for a long time because as the pain starts to ease you start to remeber all the good time and her name will be in conversation more . You will think of the fun times and be able to laugh at the memories.
It takes time, but you will get there. Another dog? dont push it let it happen if its meant to be it will and if not then its not, but you will always have those moments you shared with Daisy May..
I’m just so blessed to have had 8 years of unconditional love and bonding from her she brought such happiness and I’m realising how painful it would be for my partner who brought her up from 6 weeks old to mention another dog to, the memories are so gracious and will remain in our hearts forever.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Most of us have gone through this in one form or another, so we know your pain. Grief is a way of honoring how much your doggie friend has given you. Please be kind to your suffering. Be a friend to it and let time slowly heal your heart.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for all your kind words everyone, as a dog owner knows it takes time to come to terms with and endure acceptance that our beloved dogs are no longer suffering and been cared for up in doggy heaven I know it will take time to heal but I’m focussing on positive points and not thinking negative thoughts as it helps to make me stronger.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It’s been five days now since she slipped away peacefully, it was dignified and the kindest thing we could do for her, being with her until she took her last breath painlessly in our company so she didn’t feel distressed in any way gave us closure. She gave me 8 years of unconditional devoted love which overwhelmed me every day I was with her. The pain is getting much easier and both me and my partner have had visions of her which is her way of letting us know she is happy, pain free and grateful she had the happiest life she could have, what more could we want. Dogs are the most happiest pleasure any human being could ever have in life.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Four days ago on Friday 19th February 2021 me and my partner had to have our 12 year old female Dalmatian put to sleep because she had bad arthritis and was in uncontrollable pain so it was the kindest thing to do. My partner brought her up from 6 weeks old and I was with her for 8 years after moving in with my partner. The Dalmatians name was Daisy May and the loving bond I had with her was amazing, she loved me unconditionally and now she’s gone I’m heartbroken because she was like my daughter and it hurts like hell to not have her anymore I’m hoping my partner can feel like having another dog in the future as she said she didn’t want any more dogs because Daisy May was the second Dalmatian she had to put to sleep and it was too traumatising which I totally respect, but it would break my heart to have spend the rest of my life without the companionship of a dog in my life.
I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my dog 2/18/2020 (my b-day is on 2/19.) I got a puppy 2 months later. I loved him the min. I picked him up. I had him for a month and he died. This broke my heart once again. I cried all the time. At night in bed that's when my grief for both my dogs would hit me hard. I thought I would never stop hurting. Even through all the pain I also knew I could not stand to live without a dog in my life. I started looking once again. All the dogs I checked on either were to far away or they were way to expensive. I was beginning to think I wasn't meant to have another dog. Then one day I looked at a newspaper that was in a waiting room I was at. I found an ad for Cavapoo pups for sale. They were about 100 miles away but only asking 100 for them. So I called and went to see them. I got there and there where 2 girls left and I couldn't decide between the two. The women selling the pups told me I could have them both for the price of one if I wanted them. I took them both and I am so glad I did. They bought joy back into my life like nothing else could. I hope you get to fill that place in your heart that wants another baby.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts