Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
So it happened one day when I only fell asleep at 9 in the morning. If it was on a normal day, I would have woken up at 8pm at night but I woke up at 3pm because I was practically drenched in my own perspiration.

First thing I did was to shake the fan a little, unplugged and then re-plugged in the switch. When it all failed, I got super pissed(because I was mad sleepy) and screamed at the bf to complain. He jolted up, stared into blank space, before plonking back into bed(this happens on a daily basis when I try to wake him up for school btw) and then exclaimed,

"I think it's a short circuit."

At this point I looked at Chubby, who was curled up and hiding in his cage, something that is completely impossible when we are awake lest he has done something wrong. I was turning all the switches off while the bf proceeded to turn on the master switch in the storeroom. When he walked back into the room, I was filling up Chubby's food dish with his food and he very calmly said,

"There's sparks in the wire!" (or something like that in the same context)

I immediately remembered how Chubby never woke me up to feed him(which he normally does) and then walked to the bathroom to pee. Trust me, I've no idea how I could prioritize peeing to checking if Chubby was okay at this point. When I got out of the bathroom, Chubby walked towards me and sat down in a very weird posture.

I sat down infront of him and asked him if he was okay. Yes go ahead and mock me all you want, but my bf and I always make intellectual conversations with our puppy like he is human. Chubby didn't wag his tail like he would normally when we spoke to him, instead, he seemed like he was in extreme pain.

I lowered my head to his eye level and then I heard him whimpering non-stop. It sounded like he was crying and trying his best to breathe all at once. Being a complete wussy, I started crying because I couldn't stand seeing Chubby in so much discomfort. After like 2 minutes of crying while trying to figure out what in the blue moon is wrong with Chubbs, I shouted to the bf who was still trying to fix the fan in his room that I'm going to bring Chubby to the vet because he is clearly not feeling well.

The bf then rushed out of the room and the two of us sat down on the kitchen to try to figure out what had happened(we already guessed that he bit the wire and suffered from an electrocution). When I held Chubby's face to examine his breathing, I started crying like he was dead. What I didn't realize earlier on was the fact that he was drooling uncontrollably at his mouth, which resulted in the whole of his chest, neck and mouth being completely drenched in his own saliva.

We both panicked after I told the bf to hear his whimpering. Called up possible friends who would know the nearest vet i before we decided to bring him to The Animal Recovery Center just ten minutes away.

Upon reaching the vet, this girl who bought her hamster went into the consultation room. The vet saw us as he opened the door for her and he approached us to do a prior examination with Chubby after asking us if he was "the dog who got electrocuted". (We had called up the clinic just in case there was anything we could do to ease Chubby's discomfort in the mean time).

I remembered telling the bf that if the vet asks the hamster owner to let us go in first that it really means trouble for Chubby. And it happened. Hamster girl left the consultation room as we were ushered in. Chubby was placed on the examination table as the vet started examining him. After a short while, the vet started telling us how Chubby was possibly feeling now and I JUST COULDN'T STOP MYSELF FROM CRYING. I really thought Chubby was going to die at that point. The vet didn't even want to look at me because I was behaving like a complete wuss.

Chubby was then scheduled for an X-Ray to check for fluid in his lungs. We then decided to head outside for a breather while he was in the X-Ray theatre. I was praying hard that all he suffered was only a shock and I guess my wish came true when the vet asked me in to the X-Ray theatre. Chubby had suffered from a shock and what I didn't know was that for a dog his age and size, what normally happens is that the shock would have caused such a big impact on his tiny body that fluid from his stomach would gush to his lungs, which explained his breathing difficulties.

Our poor baby had to be put on drip and medication for the next few hours before we could take him home.

So to cut the long story short, when we eventually got back to the vet four hours later, Chubby was clearly feeling better because he started wagging his tail when he saw us. His breathing got better too, albeit it was still apparent that he was having some difficulties trying to regulate his lungs.

And so we took him back home, where he refused to eat or play. The whole night he was just puking weird yellow fluid and defecating really orangey and loose stool. It was extremely worrying because he was so not his normal self. We only fell asleep at 5am before waking up at 10-ish to check on Chubbs.

Thank God he was almost normal when we woke up. Till date, he is back to his normal self. We brought him back to the vet for a follow up and was assigned a senior vet this time. The vet couldn't stop harping on what an idiot Chubby is and to both of our amazement, Chubby did not even struggle when he was examining him. He also advised us on what to feed Chubby so that he would grow up to be strong and healthy. But one slice of papaya a day for a dog his size, seriously?

Now... doesn't Chubby Neo BuiBui Electrica sounds more appropriate for a dog who got electrocuted now?

This was what that little rascal bit through!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
WOAH scary... Im thinking you need to invest in a puppy play pen for sleeping at night or putting him securely in to a crate!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOAH scary... Im thinking you need to invest in a puppy play pen for sleeping at night or putting him securely in to a crate!
I have a play pen for that fella already, but he would whine non stop when we put him in. Tried ignoring him for weeks but that didn't work so we kinda gave him. He normally sleeps on my bed side but I guess that day when that incident happened he was so bored he woke up and started chewing random stuff.

To prevent future similar incidents, I've made sure that nothing "dangerous" is within his reach anymore. And also after that incident, he seemed to realize that wires are hazardous and would walk another path if when there's a wire ahead of him.

It sure was a super scary incident and the vet said that we were extremely lucky because Chubby is such a tiny fella!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that must have been really scary for you guys, glad he's better now.
Yup it sure was one scary incident, thanks! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts