Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many here know, my golden retriever HaHa has learning/memory issues.
He forgets things pretty quickly unless it's a daily thing for him. Like I can teach him to 'sit' and if I tell him to do so every day, he remembers...but if I don't tell him for a day...or two - he can't remember and has to be trained all over again.

HaHa also forgets that things 'exist' sometimes....like the porch roof. lol.

He walks under several times a day to get in and out of the house, but sometimes he looks up and sees it and just freezes. Then he walks back and forth his head bobbing up and down looking up at it and clearly wondering 'what the heck is that!'
Same goes with things in the house, vacuum cleaners he's walked past a dozen times, or art work on the wall, he'll suddenly just stop and look at it and act like he's never seen such a thing in his whole life.

Everyday he discovers something new...sometimes just like he did a days before with the same item...lol.

Anyway...neither HaHa, nor Jaya have Ever got into my kitchen garbage, not even once in the several years that I've had them.
Until about a few weeks ago. :(

I came out of the computer room and saw a couple of paper plates had been pulled from the garbage can and shredded of paper plate were all over the kitchen and living area. At that point, I didn't know which dog did it. Then the following day, I heard a noise, went into the living area...both Jaya and HaHa were there and there was a empty tuna fish can in the living room...again...didn't know which dog did it.

Then, the next day...Jaya was outside...and I heard a noise...went into the living room...and saw HaHa packing an empty bread sack out of the kitchen and into the living room. I took the bread sack from him, put it back in the garbage can...found the 'lid' to the kitchen trash-can originally came with, one that has a 'swinging door opening' and put that on the can.

I really don't like that trash can cover with the swinging flap, because when the can fills up a bit, if something is sticking up a little it blocks the swinging flap from being pushed in so more stuff can be put into the garbage.
But I needed to keep HaHa out of the trash and figured capping the can might work...and hoped he wouldn't be so bold as to actually try to tip the can over to get into it.

Well, for about a 5 days, HaHa couldn't get into the trash.

I took the lid off the trash can about 4 days ago. Since then no trash pulled out, and I even tossed a empty hot dog package in there and the can was almost full so it was sitting on top.

HaHa, apparently has forgotten he learned to get stuff out of the trash can...lol. Doesn't even occur to him it's a possibility it seems. :)

Hoping I can go another 2 years before his little dim brain snags on the idea of rummaging in the trash again...at least with him, it will be an easy fix to break him of that bad habit. :thumbsup:

Stormy

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@loopyboo

Thanks... I hope stories of him do entertain folks a little. I find him funny at least. :p

Stormy

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
Your story made me laugh. I like how Haha completely forgot about the garbage after he couldn't get in for five days. I wish my dog would do the same, but alas no.

Yesterday, my husband and I went out for dinner, and when we came home, I discovered that Miles had gotten into the wastebasket in the master bath. He had made a tremendous mess of it. I was kicking myself (and my husband) for not remembering to close the door when we left the house. Miles has very few bad habits, but the wastebasket is a temptation that he just can't resist.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your story made me laugh. I like how Haha completely forgot about the garbage after he couldn't get in for five days. I wish my dog would do the same, but alas no.

Yesterday, my husband and I went out for dinner, and when we came home, I discovered that Miles had gotten into the wastebasket in the master bath. He had made a tremendous mess of it. I was kicking myself (and my husband) for not remembering to close the door when we left the house. Miles has very few bad habits, but the wastebasket is a temptation that he just can't resist.
I've been lucky with HaHa and Jaya and before them, Lacey and Harper - except for recently with HaHa none of them ever got into my garbage...ever.
Prior to them, I had some dogs that did the garbage thing...mostly a pair I had called Sampson and Hey You.

It was so frustrating to come home to messes, and I had absolutely no under-sink space to put a canister, and my bathroom door wouldn't click shut so I couldn't put the garbage can there either when I left the house. So I resorted to putting the canister in the kitchen sink to keep the dogs out of it while I was gone.

The few times I was rushed and forgot to do it, or thought there was nothing in it to interest them...they still tipped it over. So unlike HaHa...even if months went by without access to it, they got into the first chance that opened up.

Stormy

Reactions: SusanLynn

·
Registered
439 Posts
I absolutely love reading all the stories about HaHa! When I first saw this one on my phone I immediately shook my boyfriend awake to read it to him! HaHa and Jaya are both so adorable and I really appreciate you sharing your adventures with them with all of us :)

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the lid off the garbage can around the 7th of June...it's now the 20th...and HaHa hasn't pulled anything at all from the trash can. I think my solution worked in just keeping him from the trash for a few days so he would forget.

I'm so tickled about this...lol.

I know he can't remember stuff...but smell is a powerful thing and even though I have in the past put all kinds of wonderfully stinky stuff in the garbage, the dogs never went in after it. And I was kind of thinking that maybe this time around his nose might remember what his brain forgot...and he would go right back to dumpster diving as soon as he smelled something good in there again.

I'm still laughing at all those people who saw HaHa at the shelter and didn't want him because he had mental issues and they thought he would be a problem to train. He can be trained, and apparently untrained of some bad habits quite easily. : )

Stormy

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I hope he forgets his last little 'thing' he did today.

I'm in my computer room and I hear HaHa moving around in the front room...which is normal, he usually takes time to drag out a few of his toys and plays with them.

But I had to get up anyway, so I walk in there...to see HaHa looking down at the floor apparently at nothing - then with his head still down he starts prancing in place and pawing at the carpet...and he moved a bit and I saw a black bump on the carpet.

I Knew...even before I got over to it, what he had discovered and played with....

a stink bug/beetle. UGH!

Yep, he irritated it and it bombed out it's smell...a smell I can barely stand. In my old house, I was right next to a cow pasture and those beetles would get into my house all the time. This home, I only see one or two a summer, thankfully.

Anyway, I quickly got some tissue, picked up HaHa's 'toy' and flushed it. Then used some odor neutralizer powder on my carpet and sprayed the air with bit of air freshener. And...wiped off HaHa's feet with some wet wipes.

Being a golden retriever, he was probably planning on picking that bug up eventually and bringing it to me..... yuk! lol. I wouldn't have put it past him.

Stormy

Reactions: SusanLynn
1 - 8 of 8 Posts