Dog Forum banner

The name game :)

3K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Mattolu 
#1 ·
I am delighted that I will be getting my second Sheltie in about 3 months time. As the litter isn't born yet I am not sure if it will be a boy or girl. I am looking for a nice African name for a male dog (I already have a few female names picked out) :) It has become a bit of a tradition. Simba my Sheltie and Nala my Collie where both named after lion king characters however I can't find anymore nice male lion king characters and so I am looking for some nice meaningful African names. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
That's fun and cute!
How about Kovu? or Banzai?

Reactions: sheltielad
#3 ·
You could use Cecil, in honor of the lion that was supposedly illegally killed by that big game hunter...that story has been in the news lately.

There is also, from the movies Born Free and Living Free the true story of Elsa and later Elsa and her cubs - two of which were males... Jespha and Gopa

I also remember a Kimba the lion...a cartoon from the late 1960's - Kimba is also an African language.

Stormy

#5 · (Edited)
Try 20000names.com
They have sections for names from all over the globe, including African names, plus their meanings. That's where I'll be going next fall when I get my new puppy as I want to give him/her a Spanish name as it's a Spanish breed I'm getting. And that's where I got my current dog's name, which is Russian in honour of my first dog who died tragically(his name was Tchaikovsky but we called him Kovsky, current dog's name is Nika, the feminine form of Nikolai.) It's best to have two syllable names for dogs I think.
Good luck w your new puppy.
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 ·
...It has become a bit of a tradition. Simba my Sheltie and Nala my Collie where both named after lion king characters...
Funny- before I got to that part of your post, I thought of Mufasa. Here's some names I found on the link below:
Amar (African)- the lion
Lubaya (Swahili)- young lioness
Shambay (Swahli)- he who walks like a lion
Shumba (South African)- lion
Tau (African-Tswana)- male lion

Thousands of LION NAMES for your dog or pet from Chinaroad Lowchens of Australia -

#8 ·
If you'd like to stick to your Lion King theme, for boys: Taka was originally Scar's name (before he got his scar), Kovu or Nuka. The girls Sarabi, Zira, Vitani.

#9 ·
There are lots of other named Lion King universe characters... Kopa (Simba's son) and Ahadi (Simba's grandfather) come to mind. If you like that theme, poke around the Lion King Wiki.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.