Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just wanted to share these videos showing that all greyhound racing isn't bad

(and maybe even make you laugh and smile! :) )

Youtube
Apologies in advance to forum members for my first post :(

Magicovencleaner - It doesn't matter how you attempt to disguise dog racing and promote it as something 'light hearted' - the industry will always depend on inherent cruel practices for its profitability.

These videos are nothing more than a tool to 'groom' adults and children into believing these gentle greyhounds enjoy being over bred - raced on dangerously configured tracks and destroyed as soon as they are deemed unsuitable to generate an income for the gambling industries.

If you truly cared for these dogs - you would have made videos of greyhounds in their natural environment - as companion animals - thereby encouraging the public to adopt one of the industry's 'waste products' rather than perpetuating the misery for racing greyhounds.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Greytexploitations - not everyone in the racing industry is cruel and unfair like you put it to be. Greyhound racing is a lot like horse racing, sure there are bad but there are also good. Also greyhounds are not simply "destroyed" if they can't race, there are a lot of greyhound rescues that find homes for them after their racing career.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I completely agree with Blue Pup, there are both good and bad in the racing industry. The bad is the one that always gets talked about so I have to say I enjoyed these videos. I only watched 3 but they were cute and funny!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will agree there are some trainers and owners who afford the dogs in their 'care' a higher standard of welfare than others and will attempt to find homes for the dogs they no longer find of use.

What cannot be denied is those trainers and owners - who claim to love their dogs - still race them on dangerously configured tracks with 5 other dogs. Tracks where there is a high risk of injury and where many dogs are destroyed after sustaining treatable but 'career ending' injuries.

Those trainers and owners still support a cruel industry that condones the culling of puppies that fail to chase and the destruction of juveniles that fail to make the grade.

This is no way to treat a dog.........

·
Registered
94 Posts
Grey you are correct, and it cannot be denied that it does happen, however there are bad people everywhere. There are people that fight dogs, there are people who have household pets that neglect them and starve them. There are puppy mills, there are backyard breeders. There are people who are just downright cruel and abusive in any part of the dog world.
So when someone shows the positive side of dog racing or the positive side of any aspect of dog ownership why not just enjoy seeing the dogs being treated well and being happy instead of calling light to the negatives that we are all aware unfortunately exist.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
As soneone who races, breeds, and trains horses... I take much offense to the statement that only wealthy care for their racers. I am by no means wealthy, and my horses are treated just as well as, or better than most of the horses ive ever met. Know what you're talking about before you decide to make generalizations about people.

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
As soneone who races, breeds, and trains horses... I take much offense to the statement that only wealthy care for their racers. I am by no means wealthy, and my horses are treated just as well as, or better than most of the horses ive ever met. Know what you're talking about before you decide to make generalizations about people.
where was anything said about wealthy owners? sorry, but i cannot find it after reading through all of the posts.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Very touchy subject. All I will say is this breed is gorgeous and it's sad to see them overbred for racing. Just another reason to be pro rescue :p

Honestly... Are there race tracks out there that have both good and bad breeders competing against one another?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
784 Posts
Gorgeous breed. Am im a fan of racing. The dogs are getting real pleasure from it.
And on some nights of the month, they let you bring along your dog, have it vet checked, and pop him up for a go. Its a great dog night out. We all love our dogs. Almost as much as they love to race. Mine is a GSD. But he's welcome. We just dont tell him that.
Ive yet to see cruelty where i go. I cant speak for all.

·
Banned
704 Posts
The deciding factor for me is what happens to the dogs when they retire. I have absolutely no respect for anyone who sends a retired dog (of ANY sport) away to another home once they've finished their career.

I certainly hope when I retire that my supposed loved ones don't send me away just to replace me with the younger model.

·
Registered
572 Posts
The problem is everywhere where animals are kept for performance or for making a profit. What do you think happens to all the "retired" sled dogs? Surely a competitive musher doesn't have the means to keep them all. And the market for rescue sled dogs is pretty small, at least here in Canada.
On another note, I think if Greyhounds weren't bred for racing, performance would decline in a matter of a few generations, as it has happened with so many breeds...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Can anyone answer my question? Is there regulation at the track? Like, can the bad be mixed in with the good? Because AKC shows allow in badly bred german shepherds if I am correct (just an example)....so when a race happens is there a possibility that some of the dogs there are from the bad folks?

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Here is an industry provided overview of the regulations:
Greyhound Care on the Farm | American Greyhound Council | factual information on greyhound racing, adoption and related topics (at the kennels)
Greyhound Care at the Track | American Greyhound Council | factual information on greyhound racing, adoption and related topics (at the tracks)

Regulations portal: Racing commissioners international

Here's a very recent banning of a kennel: NGA bans kennel | National Greyhound Association

Pawz, I know little about the ins and outs of racing, but my instinct is to say that there probably are dogs that come from the spectrum of good--bad kennels, just like there's good to bad in everything. I'd hope the tracks/officials enforce regulations well enough to fine/ban the bad ones, since they are in place for the welfare of the dogs.

As to the badly bred shepherds... I'm not quite sure what you mean--perhaps talking of the exagerated hind stance-->hip issues? If it meets their standard, then yes, they will possibly place/be successful. If the dog doesn't meet standards, then it's not going to be successful. But they allow anyone (if I'm not mistaken) to show and any dog to be shown, poorly bred or not, unless the handler/owner is banned or under a suspension. It's just a matter of it will continue being shown if it isn't successful. AKC does have regulations for their registered kennels and shows, and they do fine or penalize via suspensions or bans if rules are broken.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
And that is why I would never do anything to support racing or AKC showing. And IMO the exaggerated hind stance is a badly bred issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.