Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dare say many realize their dog acts differently on leash than off - Monty is no exception. This is day 5 with me, he's been doing amazing and I've been keeping him busy. Usually a couple of hours a day at the different dog parks around the city, 2 different parks a day this weekend. That's alot of running.

Monty is not the greatest on a leash, if he sees a dog within a hundred feet, he's like a sled dog trying to get to him - wants to meet every dog and person around. I've been taking him to the local dog parks, kept him on a retractable leash but that's a pain. Once in a while, a dog runs by and ends up snagging the cord of the leash and ends up pulling him around.

I took the leash off today, gave the dog the trust he needs and it paid off in spades. He's only been with me for 5 days, first time off leash, and recall was pretty solid. Considering that trainers and different knowledge bases claim to never let a Pin roam off leash.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Yep. If I safely (as in best guess) can, I drop the leash. But there are plenty of places where it's a bad idea. I'm trying to figure out a way to trick mine into thinking he has a choice about things when he's stuck on a leash.

I was dropping his leash to throw a frisbee on an 'on leash' trail (obviously only if all was clear). (a city walking path, not forest)

Leashes suck--but a necessary evil.

I used a long-line in the transition phase, you'd need something super light for a little guy, but something easy to grab when necessary (a knotted rope?)....or maybe he's a super glue dog already--yay.

Your guy is super cute, love the updates.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's the thing, he's not a velcro dog. He's claimed the love seat as his own, but sleeps where ever he sees fit. He generally doesn't sleep with me, sometimes he'll come in if he's cold but that's it. Jagger was pretty much the same, he is awesome off leash - but wasn't always that way.

Can't explain it, just confidence and trust I guess - what would you call it after only 5 days together? Did the same thing with both dogs, when I felt the trust was there, it was time to remove the leash and don't make anything a big deal.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Awesome. Love your new avi too!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.