Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody watch this? The guy is amazing with some of his stuff, but makes me shudder with others. They are in Michigan, farm country, and it seems they have some old school ways of thinking. However, I have never seen a vet draw blood from a dog with no tech help lol

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Yes! I don't watch it regularly but I do when I see it on. I don't know much about veterinary practice but Dr. Pol and his staff seem genuine. I recently watched an episode about castrating farm animals and it made me cringe. Oh and I don't remember the proper term but in another ep he had to put back the uterus in a cow...:eek: I'm not used to seeing that kinda stuff lol

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing that bothered me was a 12 yr old dog bit a grandchild while she was rubbing her, they even said "old dogs tend to be in pain and act out like that" but still they justified her euthanasia...saying a dog who cannot be trusted around a child shouldn't be here. That made me upset. The farm stuff is good for me to see, as I see how the animals are treated and see what happens on farms.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
One thing that bothered me was a 12 yr old dog bit a grandchild while she was rubbing her, they even said "old dogs tend to be in pain and act out like that" but still they justified her euthanasia...saying a dog who cannot be trusted around a child shouldn't be here. That made me upset. The farm stuff is good for me to see, as I see how the animals are treated and see what happens on farms.
Oh wow, I didn't see that episode. That's pretty upsetting :( I know there's no simple answer around dog bites and humans but I personally tend to side with the dog. In the situation you described, there was a reason for the bite and it seems like there could be future preventative measures. I mean, if the dog decided it was hungry and tried to eat the child that would be another story. But that's just my opinion and I didn't see the episode or know the exact details..

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with you. It was sad. Honestly watching all the cow stuff makes me feel ill I ever ate those... They pump them full of antibiotics all the time bleh!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I agree with you. It was sad. Honestly watching all the cow stuff makes me feel ill I ever ate those... They pump them full of antibiotics all the time bleh!
Posted via Mobile Device
That never even crossed my mind.. Then again, almost everything nowadays is over-processed, it's not easy to avoid :\

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
I've assisted with prolapse repairs, Rileysaur. Things get messy. Not to gross you out, but there are even double prolapses (rectal and uterus) that occur on occasion.... Not for the faint of heart.

I have never seen the show (or heard of it). Not knowing the circumstances of the antibiotic injections, I have no problem with treating animals with antibiotics, though, when they are needed.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I watch it all the time, and usually love it, but the last episode was so sad. It was the one that Pawz mentioned with the older dog that bit the owners grandchild. I kind of understand the reasoning, but would have loved if they had at least tried to figure out why the dog acted like that and went from there.

I still can't believe the bladder stone they removed from that little dog, the thing looked like it was the size of a gulf ball and the dog looked to be no more then 15 lbs.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rain that episode hurt me with the stone!

Crock where I am having an issue with antibiotics is the fact that you eat that meat lol I knew it happened just have never seen veterinary medicine on cattle so it was a whole new realization.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Rain that episode hurt me with the stone!

Crock where I am having an issue with antibiotics is the fact that you eat that meat lol I knew it happened just have never seen veterinary medicine on cattle so it was a whole new realization.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, I was referring to cattle, too. ;) FDA closely regulates what meds/antibiotics can be given safely, though, and a lot cannot be given to cattle intended for human consumption. But the way the "big" cattle industry is set up, at some point during production (usually the feed lots), they really can't risk the whole group by not doing preventative antibiotics. Anyways, I don't want to derail.... FWIW, I've limited my meat intake, and when I do eat it (for many reasons, this included) I get mine from small local ranchers who I usually know.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I liked this show, I didn't know there were any new episodes though. I love him and his staff, I've just had issues with episodes like the one you mentioned. I saw one in which he wouldn't see/treat an APBT mix because it was acting scared, he could've just muzzled the dog, but he seemed to be a bit prejudiced about the breed of dog. Maybe it was just me. This was a few years ago, so I don't know how old the episode was.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Yup, we watch him all the time. He is a very good old fashioned vet. Rarely washes his hands or puts on gloves, but certainly has loads of useful experience. I would not want him to do orthopedic surgery on my dog, (does not seem like he does that sort of thing) but he's a great farm vet. He's very much economically minded... in terms of the client. The animal will either live or not and he's not going to waste anyone's money with lots of extra tests or care.

·
Registered
105 Posts
...Crock where I am having an issue with antibiotics is the fact that you eat that meat lol I knew it happened just have never seen veterinary medicine on cattle so it was a whole new realization.
Posted via Mobile Device
Antibiotic use in food producing cattle is highly regulated in Canada, (probably US too) to prevent meat or milk with antibiotic residues from getting into food. All antibiotics have withdrawal periods so the animals can't be sold for meat, and milk is poured down the drain. Every second tank of milk that leaves the farm is tested, plus one random test per month.

If there are antibiotics in the milk, the farmer will be fined and the milk won't be picked up again until the tests are negative. If milk with antibiotic residue ends up in a tanker truck, which is also tested, then the farmer is responsible for the entire truck load. If the tanker milk ends up in a silo where it is tested again, the farmer pays for for the entire silo which is drained, a fine of hundreds of thousands of dollars. A farmer also stands to lose his or her milk quota. Milk is the most highly tested food in Canada, and meat follows right behind.

Part of our practice is large animal medicine, so I regularly see how much work farmers put into making sure that antibiotics don't get into the food supply. Safe food production is a huge concern for them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yup, we watch him all the time. He is a very good old fashioned vet. Rarely washes his hands or puts on gloves, but certainly has loads of useful experience. I would not want him to do orthopedic surgery on my dog, (does not seem like he does that sort of thing) but he's a great farm vet. He's very much economically minded... in terms of the client. The animal will either live or not and he's not going to waste anyone's money with lots of extra tests or care.
The show sounds interesting. Is it like the James Herriot series?

·
Registered
143 Posts
The show where he euthanized the old dog pissed me off. There are many reasons an old dog would suddenly bite and they didn't consider any of them. The part that really upset me was the way he euthanized the dog. Although it is till legal to heart stick a sedated dog, he could have taken the time to find a vein and done it IV. It really shows how old school he is and I think he is unable to change his way of thinking.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The show where he euthanized the old dog pissed me off. There are many reasons an old dog would suddenly bite and they didn't consider any of them. The part that really upset me was the way he euthanized the dog. Although it is till legal to heart stick a sedated dog, he could have taken the time to find a vein and done it IV. It really shows how old school he is and I think he is unable to change his way of thinking.
YIPES! That's absolutely awful! My goodness, I can hardly bear to read this.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts

I've never seen the James Herriot series, wish I had though I adore his books. It does remind me of him, and is one of the reasons I like the show.

Reactions: rmpsbuttercup

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Euthanasia is not pretty no matter how its done. I've done it myself, both IV and with a heart stick (on cats that is often easier on the animal).

Sure am glad that chapter of my life is over.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts

Sort of, but not really... in that they don't pretty up the stories much, although there is plenty of heartwarming naturally.

Its kinda James Herriot meets the 21st century and is not sure he wants to be there. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts